What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Fall/Winter 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bottled in 2005 and still on the shelf at 2005 prices, I am a weirdo who loves Loch Lomond so I figured I would ignore the middling reviews for the Craiglodge, the Tomintoul was the cheapest 30 year old Whisky I've seen in years at $180 so I was willing to take a shot despite the low proof and what looks to be a pretty used bourbon hogshead (the Color is a bit darker than it shows in the picture). 

y4mM7C7i5p2Po5cDD1gzC3FK1K66EB6DQ-OzocSq

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bottled in 2005 and still on the shelf at 2005 prices, I am a weirdo who loves Loch Lomond so I figured I would ignore the middling reviews for the Craiglodge, the Tomintoul was the cheapest 30 year old Whisky I've seen in years at $180 so I was willing to take a shot despite the low proof and what looks to be a pretty used bourbon hogshead (the Color is a bit darker than it shows in the picture). 

y4mM7C7i5p2Po5cDD1gzC3FK1K66EB6DQ-OzocSq

Damn, does the flux capacitor run on single malt? Nice scores once again!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Damn, does the flux capacitor run on single malt? Nice scores once again!

The store had a number of really interesting bottles all well above my pay grade, Black Bowmore, an older OB Laphroaig 21 single cask, Dalmore and Tomintoul Stillman's Dram, I must have asked the price on a half dozen bottles beyond the ones I picked up. If your in the market for spendy bottles next time you are in NY send me a PM and I'll let you know where it is (midtown north of Times Square)

30 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The store had a number of really interesting bottles all well above my pay grade, Black Bowmore, an older OB Laphroaig 21 single cask, Dalmore and Tomintoul Stillman's Dram, I must have asked the price on a half dozen bottles beyond the ones I picked up. If your in the market for spendy bottles next time you are in NY send me a PM and I'll let you know where it is (midtown north of Times Square)

Thanks-- would be interesting to see, but I'm sure that I'd pass on such bottles as well. I tend to prefer the "fish out of water" finds in random stores and supporting my few hard-won relationships with guys who really know how to get things.

• I like it 1

Not for me personally… but as a long-sought-after gift for a tremendous LS owner (who was kind enough to share a dram with me)…

IMG_0220.thumb.jpg.fc4f45fbb387ec56d51f9a8a74df4000.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, kevinbrink said:

Just a little bit more dusty Scotch circa 80-82 

y4mupYUQ95vzBhqdUXixGfvxfwK7LFohfTcD64pW

They're awfully proud of those 50mL flagons-- Ambassador sells them for $32.00. They are damn cool, though.

Other than the 14yo Flora & Fauna-- OB Inchgowers are thin on the ground, especially at cask strength…

IMG_0240.thumb.jpg.f365d95882792e5be0916cb9b16dd9c8.jpg

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

They're awfully proud of those 50mL flagons-- Ambassador sells them for $32.00. They are damn cool, though.

Yeah I was tempted to buy one of those at Ambassador, this one was $20 in an antique shop so a double deal!

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Coastal themed blended malt with a nice ABV…

IMG_0251.thumb.jpg.5d2d850e616785116d9f54be78119fd7.jpg

Woah, very nice, never heard of this one! What did you pay for it?

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Woah, very nice, never heard of this one! What did you pay for it?

One of Diageo's Special Releases for last year I think retail was $200 and it was Euro only, maybe Asia too but no US, it's a blend of most of the coastal and Island Diageo owned whiskies. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

@Marekv8 looking forward to your thoughts on that one.

I'm such a fan of last year's Collectivum XXVIII that this seemed like a good call-- especially considering the malts involved: Inchgower, Clynelish, Talisker, Oban, Caol Ila and Lagavulin. I should have it open soon-- heading up to NYC tomorrow seeking a Highland Park EMPIRE STATE.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm such a fan of last year's Collectivum XXVIII that this seemed like a good call-- especially considering the malts involved: Inchgower, Clynelish, Talisker, Oban, Caol Ila and Lagavulin. I should have it open soon-- heading up to NYC tomorrow seeking a Highland Park EMPIRE STATE.

I'd guess you have a source lined up but I know it's on the shelf at Astor, today was 15% off American whiskey so I spent some time there.

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'd guess you have a source lined up but I know it's on the shelf at Astor, today was 15% off American whiskey so I spent some time there.

Surprised that Astor has it-- but yes, hopefully there's a bottle with my name on it out there. I always miss the Astor sales by a day or two-- but typically the 15% discount puts the bottles back at or near regular retail.

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Surprised that Astor has it-- but yes, hopefully there's a bottle with my name on it out there. I always miss the Astor sales by a day or two-- but typically the 15% discount puts the bottles back at or near regular retail.

True, every once in a while it works out to a decent deal at least for this part of the world, but most of the time they are on the high end.

On a lark I picked up a Glen Moray Port Cask Finish.  For $25, pretty low expectations . . . that I'm hoping it at least meets :lol: 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

On a lark I picked up a Glen Moray Port Cask Finish.  For $25, pretty low expectations . . . that I'm hoping it at least meets :lol: 

The only NAS I've picked up is the Chardonnay finish, I was hoping it would come close to the 10 Year Chardonnay Cask they did, I believe that one was full maturation not a finish, it wasn't even close, it's fine and for the price probably better than one might expect but didn't fill that niche for me. Interested to see how you feel about that one, at some point I'll probably pick up one of the other finishes to see how I feel about one with no expectations in place.

Got off to a late start thanks to ORWW10 overindulgence, but it worked out well. Stumbled across an impromptu tasting (9 pours) of the Glengoyne and Tamdhu lines-- plus scored a few odd malts for the trip home. Sorry for the taxi shots.

IMG_0284.thumb.jpg.939fcc1f0f11f39974e75deb69cfc43a.jpgIMG_0281.thumb.jpg.96dbddaedbf5ac2b36b0f4f8de798ffd.jpgIMG_0280.thumb.jpg.70a30322a3a0f618a3b7cc06ffc7a31f.jpg

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Got off to a late start thanks to ORWW10 overindulgence, but it worked out well. Stumbled across an impromptu tasting (9 pours) of the Glengoyne and Tamdhu lines-- plus scored a few odd malts for the trip home. Sorry for the taxi shots.

IMG_0284.thumb.jpg.939fcc1f0f11f39974e75deb69cfc43a.jpgIMG_0281.thumb.jpg.96dbddaedbf5ac2b36b0f4f8de798ffd.jpgIMG_0280.thumb.jpg.70a30322a3a0f618a3b7cc06ffc7a31f.jpg

That's a nice looking bunch right there, I have an 86 OMC Glenturret, it's a first fill Bourbon Barrel but it's also only 13 years old I think, I like it quite a bit. I haven't had batch 3 of Dorus Mor but I love Batch 2 and Batch 1 was very good as well. That HP is a bruiser at 65.8% and looks pretty dark for a refill butt, looking forward to your notes on it as always!

Serge's review of a sister cask of Signatory Glenturret had liberal manure, Campari and Aperol references-- so it was a must have (Ambassador). I'll open it once arriving at home later tonight and let you know.

• I like it 1

In kinda Irish/Scottish mood so picked up these 3. The 20 year old Ardmore will be cracked open for my 20th anniversary in June. 20190215_204830.jpeg

• I like it 3

Great finds there BigPapa.  I bought up a whole bunch of these before they disappeared.  Such a good, reliable pour, and can't go wrong with a Macallan/HP blend at 18 years and well under $100.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.