What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Fall/Winter 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hit seven liquor stores between Seattle and Tacoma and came up short (literally), with three 50mL Campbeltown bottles all labeled "NOT FOR RETAIL SALE." Had an enthusiastic Uber driver in both towns that really got into the hunt-- so it was actually quite a bit of fun, and packing for air travel will be a breeze.

IMG_1060.thumb.jpg.5906f8dbaf25b4419ee14b4524d132d7.jpg

Welcome to my 'hood... not much in this area unfortunately and prices/taxes are a B!+€#.

11 minutes ago, ChainWhip said:

Welcome to my 'hood... not much in this area unfortunately and prices/taxes are a B!+€#.

Thank you-- yes, the taxes are insane. I'm an LSU grad, which I guess explains why I frequent this site.

Thank you-- yes, the taxes are insane. I'm an LSU grad, which I guess explains why I frequent this site.

Grew up in Louisiana so I'm a lifelong LSU fan... haven't been purchasing much these past few years - but glad there's still good whisky readily available that's not "Beanie-Bourbon" status.

Love me some Springbank though.

Auld Blow-In 14. 

Total impulse buy.  I know nothing about it or the Port Dundas distillery but the price was good, so what the heck.  I'm sure I've spent more for less.

20190414_101105.jpg

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Auld Blow-In 14. 

Total impulse buy.  I know nothing about it or the Port Dundas distillery but the price was good, so what the heck.  I'm sure I've spent more for less.

20190414_101105.jpg

Does it state on the back where it was bottled? That's awfully young for Single Grain given the typically exhausted casks involved.

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Does it state on the back where it was bottled? That's awfully young for Single Grain given the typically exhausted casks involved.

Imported by Backbone Bourbon Company, Jarupa Valley, CA

Good point, that I neglected to consider, about the casks.  Oh well, expectations tempered.

54 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Imported by Backbone Bourbon Company, Jarupa Valley, CA

Good point, that I neglected to consider, about the casks.  Oh well, expectations tempered.

I’m just glad you’re taking the chance— a couple of my favorite bottles are Single Grains. If it doesn’t suit you, try blending it with a bit of similarly aged indie bottled Caol Ila (Signatory offers many well-priced examples) or Glenturret for grins. 

• I like it 1

The other OP21. This one seems to be a favorite at on-premise accounts, so I've drammed it many times in the past…

IMG_1107.thumb.jpg.1b077bcf4fd1edac7f83764dc018e69f.jpg

• I like it 3

The other OP21. This one seems to be a favorite at on-premise accounts, so I've drammed it many times in the past…

IMG_1107.thumb.jpg.1b077bcf4fd1edac7f83764dc018e69f.jpg

How does that compare to the standard distillery version?

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

How does that compare to the standard distillery version?

I don’t have the OB version here for a side by side, but I’m very much enjoying this first dram. These G&M Distillery Labels all seem to be very dialed-in drinkers. 

26E55226-9385-49F3-B088-EC4287835AFB.thumb.jpeg.0bfe5ade3eb1fe95bce1ccdfdd052164.jpeg

• I like it 4

Bought a Redbreast 12yr CS as I couldn't pass up the price ($68 shipped).  Hadn't seen it that cheap locally in years, and had been dreading when my open bottle gets finished.  Crisis averted! :lol: 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

Bought a Redbreast 12yr CS as I couldn't pass up the price ($68 shipped).  Hadn't seen it that cheap locally in years, and had been dreading when my open bottle gets finished.  Crisis averted! :lol: 

Yeah.... But that there's one o'them ....Irish Whiskeys (or are they Whiskys?)...no?    EEEWWWwwwww!

Edited by Richnimrod

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Yeah.... But that there's one o'them ....Irish Whiskeys (or are they Whiskys?)...no?    EEEWWWwwwww!

The Irish typically use the E in whiskey as it was intended to be!

Branching out with a Hibiki 21 yr.
Always a welcome pour that one - as with many expressions it seems this one is often out of reach (price & availability)

Just now, ChainWhip said:
4 minutes ago, flahute said:
Branching out with a Hibiki 21 yr.

Always a welcome pour that one - as with many expressions it seems this one is often out of reach (price & availability)

It's a pricey one for sure. I don't reach for non-bourbon very often but I do like this one a lot. It will last me a very long time.

Haven't seen you in a while! Hope you are well.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, Richnimrod said:

....Irish Whiskeys (or are they Whiskys?)...

The plural of both whiskey and whisky is whiskies.

20190426_183304.thumb.jpg.cc48212b12a8ae877068467379db88b6.jpg

Snagged some dusties yesterday, I believe their pre 2000s - or at least one of them is. 

• I like it 1

feeling like i should get into another phase where i only buy Campbeltown’s...

C10A6291-5FFB-4D2C-A6E7-73A8447AD204.thumb.jpeg.4f3e8513cc95aa8555841284c94ced66.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.