Barterhouse Questions

Limegoldconvertible68
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve probably missed the discussion of the this previous but I couldn’t find it when I did a search. I just finished my original bottle of Barterhouse (Orphan Barrel bottle number less than 10,000) and I did a test test with my second bottle (numbered in the 89,000’s).  Am I the only person that wonders if both bottling contain the same juice?  I mean, even my wife could guess which glass contained the original bottle. In fact, she picked it up just of the nose and then when she tasted it, it only confirmed her opinion. I stilll have some original Forged Oak plus and second offering of it. I think I know how that’s going to turn out but is there any thing confirmed about these second releases or is it just..........the original bottles have had a chance to breathe?  

You're talking about Diageo so the answer is, who knows? It's whatever they've been able to source or have on hand so there's a good chance it's not the same.

• I like it 1

I have various numbers of Barterhouse from the teens through the 50K and 80 or 90K.

Your open bottle may have opened up over time to develop the character you found vs the new bottle you opened.

Having said that- I also have found different numbered bottles to show some difference of juice. I did have a preference - but now have mostly forgotten as it's been a while and it was all pretty good. Some was better. It seems I enjoyed some from the 50k- 70K  area quite a lot compared to others.

Cheers,

RW

• 2 months later...

Well, I’m revisiting my original topic. I pulled out my second bottle for the first time since the original post and I have to say there is a huge difference between the original bottle. To my palate it tastes much younger. Of course, that’s just my opinion.  On a side note I just checked my Forged Oak bottle and it’s numbered in the 60,000 range so I checked my second bottle of that and it’s in the 9000 range. I bought that second bottle of Forged Oak at a small store in a small town and can’t believe it’s an early bottle. The funny thing is to my palate and in my opinion only that bottle from the 9000 range is so much better. I even had my wife give me a blind test.  It’s so funny how to my amateur palate there is such a difference between the early bottles and the later bottles. 

Not really relevant to the conversation at hand, but all this talk has me slightly worried about what the juice in my bottle of Forged Oak will taste like...

;)

F56C224C-8664-4BAD-94DA-07A9A6E4C545.jpeg

Edited by 0895

Bottle 69!!  As the guy that started this thread I think you will be very happy with it. I think you can rest assured that you have 15 yr old bourbon in that bottle.  In my area there was a second release that ran into at least close to the 100,000 bottle number. When I blind tasted those much higher numbers against the low bottle numbers my opinion is that my individual palate preferred the low bottle numbers. Of course, I’m sure it’s the same juice in all the bottles but for some mysterious reason I could always pick out certain things when blind testing them. 

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Bottle 69!!  As the guy that started this thread I think you will be very happy with it. I think you can rest assured that you have 15 yr old bourbon in that bottle.  In my area there was a second release that ran into at least close to the 100,000 bottle number. When I blind tasted those much higher numbers against the low bottle numbers my opinion is that my individual palate preferred the low bottle numbers. Of course, I’m sure it’s the same juice in all the bottles but for some mysterious reason I could always pick out certain things when blind testing them. 

Bottle 69. Ha! 

But...are you insinuating that higher bottle numbers may not, in fact, contain what the labels say? (15 for FO and 20 for BH)  I've had 3 or 4 bottles of BH and I recall them all being similar although I did not sbs them.  I have one unopened bottle of FO and BH left but I have no idea what bottle numbers they are, or what bottle numbers I had in the past. 

Edit: Just checked my bottles and they are both in the high 20,000s. The bottle of FO was purchased at the same store but quite a bit before 0895 bought his 69 bottle.  Never saw release numbers for any of the OB stuff. Is Barterhouse still being released? 

20190124_221757-1612x784.jpg

Edited by Clueby

53 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Bottle 69. Ha! 

But...are you insinuating that higher bottle numbers may not, in fact, contain what the labels say? (15 for FO and 20 for BH)  I've had 3 or 4 bottles of BH and I recall them all being similar although I did not sbs them.  I have one unopened bottle of FO and BH left but I have no idea what bottle numbers they are, or what bottle numbers I had in the past. 

Edit: Just checked my bottles and they are both in the high 20,000s. The bottle of FO was purchased at the same store but quite a bit before 0895 bought his 69 bottle.  Never saw release numbers for any of the OB stuff. Is Barterhouse still being released? 

20190124_221757-1612x784.jpg

I'm sorry but, WTF is a curator doing with the bourbon? This isn't an art collection.

46 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'm sorry but, WTF is a curator doing with the bourbon? This isn't an art collection.

Gawd, who knows...

I didn't really take any of this OB stuff seriously.

I only bought mine, because it was bottle #69, :P

I see at least 3 different curator names in the last 3 pictures.  Whatever that means.

Edited by 0895

I wouldn't start taking OB codes seriously.

I'm pretty sure we established early on with the Orphan Barrel releases that the "bottle number" seemed to be random and utterly pointless/there for show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.