TN sourced Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

4yr Old Dickel?

Probably, however worth noting that the ages and proofs on the label approvals are just dummies

Don't think this is much of a surprise. Smooth Ambler has been using Tennessee whiskey (along with MGP) in the American Whiskey they released a while back and I would suspect that it was sourced from Dickel.

Not.at.all.interested.  I've been burned enough times by the TN Barrell bourbons (Dickel?), which while often well regarded, don't sit all that well with me.  I'll keep digging into my bunker for the "old" Smooth Ambler 7 year, 10 year and barrel proof offerings.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

I’ll be tasting a bunch of 14 yr samples today so I’ll let you know. 

Looking forward to it, will be interesting to hear how they are priced considering how much BP Dickel Barrell has put out between $70-$80. 

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I’ll be tasting a bunch of 14 yr samples today so I’ll let you know. 

I’ll disown you as my brother if you allow Sarah to bottle your pick...  :D

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ll disown you as my brother if you allow Sarah to bottle your pick...  :D

Hahaha! Duly noted. Steps must be taken to ensure this doesn’t happen!

• I like it 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't think this is much of a surprise. Smooth Ambler has been using Tennessee whiskey (along with MGP) in the American Whiskey they released a while back and I would suspect that it was sourced from Dickel.

Yeah the American Whiskey 107 definitely has that Dickel taste. I was not a fan. Tried a Bib & Tucker last night and I'll eat the bottle if it wasn't Dickel. Some water really helped it out and brought out some sweetness and subdued that bitter vitamin finish.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:55 AM, kevinbrink said:

Looking forward to it, will be interesting to hear how they are priced considering how much BP Dickel Barrell has put out between $70-$80. 

I got my sample groups mixed up.  I’ll be tasting the 14yrs later this week.

What I tried yesterday was 10yr 5mo. It was pretty good with a strong black cherry note. I have to also admit that the vitamin note was not present. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

This will be a 13 year single barrel cask strength priced at $65. Given today's market, I'd say it's a reasonably priced whiskey

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, OldScoutGuy said:

This will be a 13 year single barrel cask strength priced at $65. Given today's market, I'd say it's a reasonably priced whiskey

Yeah that's a very good price point for the specs.

Like @jeffrey r it's a hard pass from me if this is Dickel though. Dickel's own products and the Barrell bottled Dickel juice is not something I am a fan of. There's a strong sour nut quality that I don't get along with. Personally I would rather pay $100 for 13 year old MGP (if that's even an option these days).

Edited by EarthQuake

33 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Like @jeffrey r it's a hard pass from me if this is Dickel though. Dickel's own products and the Barrell bottled Dickel juice is not something I am a fan of. There's a strong sour nut quality that I don't get along with. Personally I would rather pay $100 for 13 year old MGP (if that's even an option these days).

Barrel is currently out of anything MGP older than about 6 years. 

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

Barrel is currently out of anything MGP older than about 6 years. 

Yeah I've heard that MGP just doesn't have much in the way of older stocks on offer at the moment, which is a shame. Blaum Brothers (out of Galena Ill, about an hour away from me here), have been releasing 10+ year old barrel proof MGP, but I guess they purchased that a while back when MGP still had older stocks. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick to Four Roses store picks =D

Since you've had a chance to try some of this, how do you say it compares to the Barrell bottled, Dickel sourced juice?

Edited by EarthQuake

38 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Smooth Ambler is still putting out Single Barrel cask strength MGP in the Gift Shop. They're currently pricing the 13 year at $125 and the 12 year at $95. These are the lasts of the stock they bought years ago

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, OldScoutGuy said:

Smooth Ambler is still putting out Single Barrel cask strength MGP in the Gift Shop. They're currently pricing the 13 year at $125 and the 12 year at $95. These are the lasts of the stock they bought years ago

That sounds great, if I was closer to VA I would certainly stop in and get one of each!

59 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah I've heard that MGP just doesn't have much in the way of older stocks on offer at the moment, which is a shame. Blaum Brothers (out of Galena Ill, about an hour away from me here), have been releasing 10+ year old barrel proof MGP, but I guess they purchased that a while back when MGP still had older stocks. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick to Four Roses store picks =D

Since you've had a chance to try some of this, how do you say it compares to the Barrell bottled, Dickel sourced juice?

I lost track of the original question being about SA and somehow got onto a Barrell tangent. Sorry about that! The 13-14yr old Dickel samples I tried were from Barrell. None of them were good. Not even close to good. 

• I like it 2

I lost track of the original question being about SA and somehow got onto a Barrell tangent. Sorry about that! The 13-14yr old Dickel samples I tried were from Barrell. None of them were good. Not even close to good. 

However, If I recall correctly Steve, you do seem to have an aversion to strong oak notes, not to mention your aversion to Dickel in general, so....there’s that. [emoji3] I’ve got a few 13 to 14 year old Dickel sourced NDP bottles that are very oaky and have a hint of your favorite Dickel flavor, but they are something that I still enjoy on occasion. Perhaps I’m part termite though. [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

However, If I recall correctly Steve, you do seem to have an aversion to strong oak notes, not to mention your aversion to Dickel in general, so....there’s that. emoji3.png I’ve got a few 13 to 14 year old Dickel sourced NDP bottles that are very oaky and have a hint of your favorite Dickel flavor, but they are something that I still enjoy on occasion. Perhaps I’m part termite though. emoji6.png

Hahaha! Yes. I should add that the vitamin note in these were muted and that they weren’t oaky at all. They just weren’t good.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, EarthQuake said:

That sounds great, if I was closer to VA I would certainly stop in and get one of each!

That could be tricky since you would pass them on the way to Virginia because they are in WEST Virginia. ;)

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

This showed up in NY today 13 years 53.5% and the store I stumbled into had them priced at $75 (another around the block had them at $100)

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought one today.  I'm a fan of the 9 year Dickel barrel picks, and I've been impressed by the SA barrel picking prowess.  Haven't opened it yet though.

NY ended up getting at least two barrels, one 53.5% and one 47.9%, NJ is supposed to be getting some as well so I'm interested to see where that one falls. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.