TN sourced Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Are they even in the same league as the MGP SB? 

The answer to this question is going to vary from person to person, lots of people don't care much for Dickel. For me I ended up with three bottles two from New York one from NJ all different barrels. Barrell Batch 006 was a TN distilled 9 year old bourbon, I've never had an MGP sourced SAOS single barrel that I liked more than that whiskey. Since all of these TN bottles of SAOS are single barrels hard to say from bottle to bottle how they will compare but at least for me, I paid $65 for two of the bottles and $75 for the other it seems like a fair price for CS 13 Year old bourbon on paper and less than I would have paid for a similar bottle from Barrell. I haven't tried any of them yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it. 

• I like it 1

I just bought a bottle of this yesterday for $65. I haven't had Dickel in probably a couple years since a bought a 9-year-old. I didn't think it was bad...just didn't think it was my favorite, either. I haven't tried any Barrell Batch's either...so no baggage (or high expectations) there. I'm also looking forward to trying this.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I may be in the minority,  but I think this is superb whiskey, especially at the price.    In my case,  a PA state store pick of the Old Scout 107 American whiskey,  which I believe is a blend of 9 year old MGP bourbon  and 5 year old Dickel aged in used barrels.  .  

I have nothing whatsoever against, Dickel, although it's never been in my regular rotation .   I believe that,  of all of the major bourbon producers (here I'm equating TN whisky as bourbon),  it has the most corn in the mashbill (approaching 80 percent, if memory serves).     I think it was a genius move to combine that sweet corn with the high-rye MGP bourbon, and bottle it at 107 for just 39 bucks.

It tastes rounded and weighty like a bourbon twice its price.   Yes, I can taste the Dickel tang,  but it is muted and integrated into a complex, sweet dram.    If this is making silk of a sow's ear, then that's what good blending is all about..  

I busted Smooth Ambler's chops a few weeks back about their Big Level, which is awful,  but this stuff is high art.    Hats'  off!     

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.