WhiskeyBlender

RIP Master Distiller Dave Pickerell

WhiskeyBlender

Hi All, 

I'm not sure if this news has been posted somewhere on the forum already, but I just wanted to let you all know that Master Distiller Dave Pickerell died last night in San Francisco. I'm sure most of you know who he was, but for those that don't, he was the the former Master Distiller at Makers Mark for 14 years, and then he went on to consult for numerous distilleries. He was also appointed as Master Distiller at Whistle Pig. 

Those that knew Dave personally will remember him as a larger-than-life character. He was definitely quite a life force. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 5

CUfan99

That’s shocking. He lived an amazing life; West Point grad, vet, engineer, master distiller. RIP. 

• I like it 1

WhiskeyBritchesNC

One of my favorite Bourbon Pursuit Podcast was their interview with Dave. So Insightful, had such a common way of explaining the industry and how it works. He will be missed truly!?  

HoustonNit

Gosh I just heard him on a bourbon podcast that plays every Saturday here in Houston on one of the local radio stations. He had a ton of insight on the industry, fascinating individual, what a shame.

smokinjoe

Such terrible news.  So talented and knowledgeable, and he had such a profound ability to reach and connect with even the most novice of us.  It was this ability to explain things so simply on SB, where I became a fan of his as he continued to move on through the whiskey world.  He spent a little over a year here on SB, contributing regularly the wisdom he accumulated from his experience in the industry.  If you have some time, check out his posts here as “Bourbon Geek”.  

9C1FE99C-E574-434E-AD58-84E307C2817E.png

• I like it 5

HoustonNit

Trying to post a link that opens in Tapatalk with limited success.

Kepler

Cracked open a WP single barrel in his honor tonigjt. R.I.P. Mr. Pickerell.

foppa78

When I first started branching out into bourbon other than Maker's Mark, I found this video of Dave on YouTube explaining how to nose and taste bourbon. Over the last 2 years, I've checked back into this video a good 4-5 times. Cheers Dave.