RIP Master Distiller Dave Pickerell

WhiskeyBlender
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All, 

I'm not sure if this news has been posted somewhere on the forum already, but I just wanted to let you all know that Master Distiller Dave Pickerell died last night in San Francisco. I'm sure most of you know who he was, but for those that don't, he was the the former Master Distiller at Makers Mark for 14 years, and then he went on to consult for numerous distilleries. He was also appointed as Master Distiller at Whistle Pig. 

Those that knew Dave personally will remember him as a larger-than-life character. He was definitely quite a life force. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 5

That’s shocking. He lived an amazing life; West Point grad, vet, engineer, master distiller. RIP. 

• I like it 1

One of my favorite Bourbon Pursuit Podcast was their interview with Dave. So Insightful, had such a common way of explaining the industry and how it works. He will be missed truly!?  

Gosh I just heard him on a bourbon podcast that plays every Saturday here in Houston on one of the local radio stations. He had a ton of insight on the industry, fascinating individual, what a shame.

Such terrible news.  So talented and knowledgeable, and he had such a profound ability to reach and connect with even the most novice of us.  It was this ability to explain things so simply on SB, where I became a fan of his as he continued to move on through the whiskey world.  He spent a little over a year here on SB, contributing regularly the wisdom he accumulated from his experience in the industry.  If you have some time, check out his posts here as “Bourbon Geek”.  

9C1FE99C-E574-434E-AD58-84E307C2817E.png

• I like it 5

When I first started branching out into bourbon other than Maker's Mark, I found this video of Dave on YouTube explaining how to nose and taste bourbon. Over the last 2 years, I've checked back into this video a good 4-5 times. Cheers Dave.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.