Been away for awhile...where'd the Weller go?

B3Nut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been awhile since I've wandered in, and was pretty much occasionally getting into the stash I had of SW OF BIB when enjoying at home (which I hadn't been doing a lot of, got in a precarious place health-wise but now that I'm down 112# and counting I'm able to imbibe measuredly again hehe, was happy to discover whiskey was kosher on a keto/low-carb lifestyle!)...I think I'm down to a pour or two left in the last handle of it I had, going to sorely miss that juice when it's gone! Most of my bourbon drinking the past few years has been MM or WT101 at bar gigs. Now I'm starting to buy more to have around the house, and had a hankering for some OWA or WSR, and Woodmans had none where it used to be plentiful on the shelf. Even hit Everett's in Beloit where I used to find good supply of WSR, and didn't see any. I almost grabbed a VOB BIB but couldn't remember if I liked it or not, so I grabbed a bottle of Larceny to try as I saw it was a HH wheater. Liking that so far...anything else new I should try especially in the under-$30 space? Lots of new "faces" so to speak on the shelf...

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Good to see you here again! I'm trying to remember how long ago it was when Fishnbowljoe and I saw you and the Blue Olives playing at a bar on the Rock River just north of Janesville. Gotta be 6 years or more. 

As for bourbon, I'd stay away from any of the "new faces" you're seeing since, IMHO, they're overpriced and not very good. Stay with the distilleries you know. For under $30 it's tough to beat BT, WT101, RR 90 and since you're in WI, you can probably get ER for that as well. Others may recommend OGD BIB or 114.

Yeah, I miss that bar (Fins) on the Rock River...that was always a great hang! The Olives are still active, doing a 3rd Saturday of every month at House of Blues Chicago presently among other things, and I'm playing in several other projects and pick-up bands...have Hammond will travel. ? 

Yeah I'm partial to standbys for sure, I had a 1.75 of BT a drummer friend got me for my birthday last year.  I used to like OGB BIB, think it's time for a revisit. HH did a nice job with Larceny going by tonight's initial impressions, and I still like EWB for a budget pour. Ending tonight with a pour of that in fact. Bourbon in the glass and jazz on the hi-fi...hard to beat that for an unwind! :)

Good to see you again too!

A few 'new faces' I'd consider, if you haven't tried 'em....

Early Times BIB, if you favor that 'shellac' undertone (my description... others refer to it as acetone) that seems to be prevalent in many Brown Forman offerings (I quite like this).

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut is a newby this past year or so, and is very nice Bourbon at a good price, being 100-proof, non-chill-filtered, and 5/6 year old juice.

If you can find it (and don't mind the high price), 1792 BIB is a stellar example of the best new stuff coming from Barton; rich thick, complex ans satisfying; but, at around $50 it's a pretty steep ask.  Worth the money to me, maybe not to everybody.

Hope this helps out...

Welcome back to the decadent world of lushes, my friend!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

If you can find it (and don't mind the high price), 1792 BIB is a stellar example of the best new stuff coming from Barton; rich thick, complex ans satisfying; but, at around $50 it's a pretty steep ask.  Worth the money to me, maybe not to everybody.

I thought it was pretty good as well but my bottle was "only" around $37. Its a step up from VOB BIB but not that huge of a step. No way I'd drop $50 on it when I can get VOB BIB for $15.

Welcome back Todd! Glad to see you posting again.  Like Gary alluded to, I also remember going with him to see you and the band at Fin's. Ahhhh the good old days. 

You've missed a lot while you were gone. The bourbon boon hit. Things have actually been better the last year or so, more so than the couple of years prior. Before, Weller's were practically non existent. They've started showing up with a little more frequency (but not quantity) lately, but you have to have good timing. You have to visit a store on the day they arrive from the distributor, or you may miss out. There is also no rhyme nor reason as to when they might show up. 

Anyway, good to hear from you again. Don't be a stranger.

Biba! Joe

Not sure how long it has been but if you haven’t tried Four Roses yet, do so. The standard 100 proof single barrel is widely available for less than $40 and is very consistent. 

Congrats on the weight loss and healthier lifestyle. It is not an easy thing to do. Keep at it. 

To answer the question in the title of this thread, the Weller mostly appears to be in Texas. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

To answer the question in the title of this thread, the Weller mostly appears to be in Texas. 

- and in fishnbowljoe's house

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

- and in fishnbowljoe's house

:D 

Next to Texas, Illinois gets, or at least used to get, more than its fair share of Weller too. Southern Wisconsin was pretty fertile also. The best part back in the day was the reasonable prices. (before taxes anyway -_-). Now there’s gouging, along with saving the Weller’s for raffles and such alongside the seasonal LE releases. Even old reliable stores aren’t as “forthcoming” as they used to be. Like I mentioned before, you pretty much have to get lucky and be in the right place at the right time to score a bottle of anything other than Weller SR

FWIW, I have shared a pour or two, and maybe even a bottle or two with Todd in days past. On one occasion, we swapped handles of  dusty SW Old Fitz BIB, and dusty Old Forester BIB^_^ That one right there was a win, win. :D

Biba! Joe

Yes indeed! I polished off that dusty Old Forester BIB. That was good stuff. That SW OFBIB was magical. Just a pour or two left in my last handle I had. Oh well...it was made to be enjoyed, and enjoy it I did, as I'm sure you did too! :) I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with Larceny...it's a pretty damn solid whiskey. I figure I'll replace that bottle when I polish it off, HH did good. Had a pour of it a bit ago, now ending my evening with some Evan Williams Black...you know, at $13 and change for a liter that's still a damn good buy. Bourbon in the glass, bullmastiffs on the couch and floor, some candles going, and Miles Davis on the hi-fi...this doesn't suck. :)

TP 

• I like it 1

Henry McKenna 10 year BIB is another good one around $30, and it's hard to go wrong with the standard Elijah Craig at $25. Four Roses small batch is pretty good at $30 or so as well.

If you're willing to spend a little more, the various 1792 bottlings are all good and tend to run $30-50. Try the Sweet Wheat if you find it/are looking for a Weller replacement. 1792 BIB is my favorite of the 1792's that I've tried. CEH Taylor Small Batch at $40 is very good, same flavor profile as the standard BT but a step up. Same goes for Stagg Jr, if you want BT cranked up to 11 (and then some) it's a good buy at around $50. You may be able to find Wild Turkey Rare Breed for under $40.

There's a wonderful world of Four Roses when you get into the Single Barrel barrel proof store picks. These run more like $60-70, but oh man, are they among the best Bourbon that money can reasonably buy these days. A good FR store pick tends to be on par or better than many of the super limited $100+ bottles in my mind.

I have been very fortunate to always finding me some Weller both 12 and OWA. Mostly at retail prices but sometime slightly above. IDK if its me or the Weller, but I am finding this years OWA and 12 very tasty.

One of my frequent go to bourbon's is ER10, and find it also to be very yummy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.