Whats not in your wheelhouse

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm perplexed by the amount of hate that SAOS (MGP) is getting in this thread. Considering the number of fanbois that Sarah has here these posts don't compute. And the number of haters that Wellers and RY10 are getting is also throwing me for a loop. 

25 minutes ago, silverc said:

Woodford (anything), Wild Turkey (anything), OGD (most of the time although I don't hate it), Baker's, Henry McKenna BIB, Basil Hayden's, 1792 Small Batch and Single Barrel (but I like the other expressions), Eagle Rare (except for some store picks that are off-profile), Maker's Mark (nearly everything they make), Town Branch, Wathen's, Wyoming Whiskey, Weller SR, Weller 12, and most rye whiskies, although I like high rye bourons....go figure.

Wow those really run the gamut of the bourbon spectrum. Curious...what DO you like? 

• I like it 3

I'm perplexed by the amount of hate that SAOS (MGP) is getting in this thread. Considering the number of fanbois that Sarah has here these posts don't compute. And the number of haters that Wellers and RY10 are getting is also throwing me for a loop. 

There are fans and haters for almost anything. However, I think that generally the folks follow mom’s rule about not saying anything when others are gushing over something.
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Wow those really run the gamut of the bourbon spectrum. Curious...what DO you like? 

I like basically everything else.... especially 4R Stuff, KCSB, Booker's, MGP Stuff (Belle Meade, SAOS, Boone County, etc.), most Buffalo Trace stuff, including Stagg and Stagg Jr, ECBP and most Heaven Hill stuff. There are a lot more bourbons that I like, especially stuff that is oaky, sweeter, or higher proof, than those that I don't like. 

2 minutes ago, silverc said:

I like basically everything else.... especially 4R Stuff, KCSB, Booker's, MGP Stuff (Belle Meade, SAOS, Boone County, etc.), most Buffalo Trace stuff, including Stagg and Stagg Jr, ECBP and most Heaven Hill stuff. There are a lot more bourbons that I like, especially stuff that is oaky, sweeter, or higher proof, than those that I don't like. 

Fair enough.  Just couldn't pick out a flavor profile from your list.  You mention HH but don't like HMcK which is kinda like quintessential HH.  You also mention not liking  Baker's but you like KC and Booker's which all bear a strong family resemblance to me.  Seems like the rye recipe bourbons from the BT family and MGP stuff is what's mostly in your wheelhouse.  Not trying to pick you apart...just trying to understand other's palate preferences. I find it fascinating.

I could live without 4R, anything OF, and half of the HH lineup. Granted, 4R does occasionally put out LEs that even I like.

Everything else is essential to my survival!

3 hours ago, silverc said:

Woodford (anything), Wild Turkey (anything), OGD (most of the time although I don't hate it), Baker's, Henry McKenna BIB, Basil Hayden's, 1792 Small Batch and Single Barrel (but I like the other expressions), Eagle Rare (except for some store picks that are off-profile), Maker's Mark (nearly everything they make), Town Branch, Wathen's, Wyoming Whiskey, Weller SR, Weller 12, and most rye whiskies, although I like high rye bourons....go figure.

Sounds like bourbon isn't in your wheelhouse. That's quite the list.

• I like it 2

I HATE Dickel. Some beam stuff works a bit. Really really hated Noah’s mill and Rowan’s Creek (like pour down the drain hate)

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

So you’re saying you like KC older than 12y ?

I find age doesn’t mean as much to me as avoiding the peanuts flavor. 

Most of the old KC bottles I’ve tried have been delicious. 

Yes, that was poorly worded.  The peanut flavor or funk, whatever you call it, is still present in the 9-11yr range, based on my experience with barrel pick samples.  For some reason, it disappears in the 12-14 year samples.  

• I like it 1

Add me to the list of those not favoring Woodford and Dickel. Even though it gets a lot of love on here don’t care much for Ritt either.

Edited by BB Slim

Old Forester and Woodford. Stagg Jr. Eagle Rare. SAOS...and while I'm okay with HH wheaters, as someone stated earlier, I definitely don't find them anything like Weller.

For me, exploring variety is the biggest pleasure I get out of drinking whiskey, so I can find something to enjoy from just about any bottling. I do have an overall preference for medium-aged bourbons, not enjoying grainy young stuff (like most) or when the wood notes become astringent or distracting. On the latter I may be in the minority, but examples include thinking that:

- EC Small Batch got better immediately after losing the 12 on the back age statement

- KCSB picks in the 9-10 year range are generally better than those 11-14 yo

- It's somewhat common for HM10BIB to taste over-aged

There are of course exceptions, mostly those bourbons that are aged low in the rickouhse,  but generally it needs at least 5 years but no more than 10 years to be in my wheelhouse.

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

For me, exploring variety is the biggest pleasure I get out of drinking whiskey, so I can find something to enjoy from just about any bottling. I do have an overall preference for medium-aged bourbons, not enjoying grainy young stuff (like most) or when the wood notes become astringent or distracting. On the latter I may be in the minority, but examples include thinking that:

- EC Small Batch got better immediately after losing the 12 on the back age statement

There are of course exceptions, mostly those bourbons that are aged low in the rickouhse,  but generally it needs at least 5 years but no more than 10 years to be in my wheelhouse.

Sounds like what you don't like is a lot of oak. To me, EC lost quite a step in the oak dept.  The 14+ year KCs I've had have been outstanding. I also like Barterhouse a lot. Yes..I like oak apparently.  The other poster above that said they don't like Stagg Jr. or ER10...mind blown. (Unless it was batch 1 of sjr)

So far really only 2 that I've had a strong dislike of.

Elmer T Lee tastes like Band-aid and cheese. It was not good.

Old Forrester 1920 prohibition smells and tastes like citrus alka seltzer

Am I just crazy?

17 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

So far really only 2 that I've had a strong dislike of.

Elmer T Lee tastes like Band-aid and cheese. It was not good.

Old Forrester 1920 prohibition smells and tastes like citrus alka seltzer

Am I just crazy?

There was a cork tainted run of ETL that had a dirty, plasticky taste to it. The OF1920 one though...yeah you are just crazy. :P

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, jackthedog said:

OF1920 is another one for me. I was hoping to like it based on the reviews and the 1890 (?) but it just didn't do anything for me. Same for OF100. 

with OF1920, I was just like you, it didn't do anything for me and I didn't really care for it.  I just went back to it a couple weeks ago and it tastes amazing to me now.  Good brown sugar notes that I love, so I'm drinking this one until it falls out of favor with my palate again.  Or maybe it just needed the 6 months of air time.

now 4R stuff... none of it agrees with my palate anymore, not sure what happened, if my palate changed or different 4R recipes are different, but it just does not taste right to me anymore.

Russell's Reserve SiB, even K&L store picks (and K&L has a reputation for great picks.  They go to the distillery instead of just getting three samples.) I'm on my fourth bottle and I don't dislike it. If it were around $40 -$45, I would always keep it on hand, but at $60, it just seems too subdued to be worth the price.  I feel the same way about HMK BiB but at least it's affordable. 

Apart from a few "Single Barrels" basically all of the BF Bourbons and I find 1920 particularly bad, same can be said for MM. Many BT/Sazerac products seem kind of flat for me these days and most of the higher proof offerings are overly hot to my tastes. 

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Sounds like what you don't like is a lot of oak. To me, EC lost quite a step in the oak dept.  The 14+ year KCs I've had have been outstanding. I also like Barterhouse a lot. Yes..I like oak apparently.  The other poster above that said they don't like Stagg Jr. or ER10...mind blown. (Unless it was batch 1 of sjr)

Correct. I've never even been tempted by any of the orphan barrels, might as well break off an oak branch from my backyard, dip it in cheap bourbon, and chew on it. ?

Recent batches of Stagg Jr. have been great. ER10 was one of the first that started me on the journey, so it holds a soft spot, but I've missed on a few barrels over the years.

8 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Agree 100% regarding the 9-10 year KCSB as opposed to the 13-14 year old picks.

Stuff I haven’t really gotten into or cared for:

-Jeffersons. Seems kinda gimmicky with the boat rides and not a ton of cask strength offerings. 90 proof and change doesn’t really shake my tree. 

-Michters. A thread here on SB goes into greater detail but in short, I’d rather spend my money with other distilleries. 

-Maker’s. 46 has a great nose. I have really liked some of the private selects but stores in my area do not have open bottles for tasting so you sre kinda buying an $80 pig in a poke. 

-Whistle Pig. 

-I really like BT mash bill 2 but it has become such a pain in the ass to get in my market I have about drank down what I had and don’t plan to replace it. 

• I like it 1

This is really interesting. Some will adore a bourbon while others think it has a terrible funk. Proves we are all alike and not alike at all! Me, anything  OG. Too much rye. Also add Woodford. It tastes manufactured somehow for people who don't like the taste of bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.