Best Bourbon on the Shelf 2018

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

How do you set up the double blind?

It's a lot of work and somewhat complicated, but the summary is: one guy from our group procured the original 60 bottles and poured 2oz sample bottles to distribute to the group. He coded the samples and then used a randomizer to divide the bottles so that each member of our group received 15 samples and that the samples were distributed evenly. Only this guy had the decoder ring. Each member used an online form to submit their ratings. Once they were all received he gave the decoder ring to a member of our group who is a data analyst and she complied the results to determine the ranking. We ended up having a three or four way tie for 10th place so a small group of us discussed it and made some decisions so our top ten would have a wider distillery representation. With the top ten determined, we repeated the step of procuring bottles and pouring sample bottles so that each guest at the event would have all ten to rate. We provided each guest with a scorecard and our rating system so they could rate the samples. Each guest then handed in their scorecard to our professional data analyst who input the data and kept a constantly updated rating until all the scorecards were in. By the end of the live auction, we had the results which we revealed.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Ah I found the mention. I've had a bad bottle of FRSB as well so I'm not surprised. My opinion on FR is probably colored too heavily by the store picks.

I had 1792 Small Batch in my pre event set and rated it well but it seems a lot of people in my group did not so it didn't make the cut. I wish I would have had 4RSiB in my set so I could have told you if it was a bad barrel. Given how much our group tends to love 4R I have to believe that's why it didn't make the cut. 

• I like it 1

On 11/11/2018 at 5:01 PM, Vosgar said:

Blind tastings are fun and certainly the best way to see what your preferences are (at least for that particular day), but I can't imagine the work involved in doing one for 125 people! Your group is amazing and congratulations once again for an epic event.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

But seriously.........., what the Bourbon Crusaders did with this entire undertaking is truly awesome and inspiring. Kudos to all those involved. 

Biba! Joe

I appreciate both of your words more than you know. The bourbon world has become such a cynical place full of snark, superiority, posturing, stress, and greed. This place is of course a refuge from that. But it's still good to know that a group of nerds can do something good and that veterans such as yourself can appreciate it. It's still possible to feel good about and have fun with this hobby in the midst of all the BS.

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Although 10 different choices might be a lot even for a fairly experienced taster.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.