Bourbon - I prefer hamburger to steak

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Feel free to make fun of me. I won't be offended. I was drinking  4 Roses single Barrel the other night. Then Makers CS. Both nice with some complexity. Then I had some HH6 90 proof Green label and a bit of VOBBIB.  While the first two were very good, I so appreciated the basic flavors of the last two. For me cost isn't really a factor. 

I guess I really don't want a big complex bourbon. Why?  Seems I prefer a Buger King hamburger over a Ruth Chris steak. I do enjoy some complex bourbon, Stag Jr. for example. But when I open a bottle oh JTSBIB I am wowed by the honestly good, well made basic bourbon.

is there something wrong with my palette? Anyone else like this?

• I like it 1

I think you'll have a very difficult time finding anybody here who'd make fun of that sentiment. The big/bold/rare/weird stuff has its time and place, but nothing beats kicking back with a no-frills BIB.

PS. I can think of so many burger joints that can easily beat Ruth!

• I like it 1

You've found what you like and that's all that matters. Count your blessings that it's the basic stuff and not the other way around, your bank account thanks you!

Personally, I like 'em all.

As often as not, I will enjoy a 'basic' Bourbon such as you mention without feeling a bit underwhelmed by the direct and uncomplicated presentation. 

It can be very 'freeing' to just kick back and ENJOY rather than analyze and cogitate about a Bourbon, and those BIB's and other such no-frills offerings cry out for exactly this sort of session, don't they?

...While the higher end stuff often seems to ask for a more contemplative approach... which may just be social programming, and/or my respect for the cost and reputation of the higher-end, or rarer stuff.

You've hit upon a true path to Bourbon Zen, my friend.   Follow it!

11 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Feel free to make fun of me. I won't be offended. I was drinking  4 Roses single Barrel the other night. Then Makers CS. Both nice with some complexity. Then I had some HH6 90 proof Green label and a bit of VOBBIB.  While the first two were very good, I so appreciated the basic flavors of the last two. For me cost isn't really a factor. 

I guess I really don't want a big complex bourbon. Why?  Seems I prefer a Buger King hamburger over a Ruth Chris steak. I do enjoy some complex bourbon, Stag Jr. for example. But when I open a bottle oh JTSBIB I am wowed by the honestly good, well made basic bourbon.

is there something wrong with my palette? Anyone else like this?

If it tastes good to you then I’d say your palate works just fine. Double donus that your wallet will be better off!

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I think that's awesome.  Even better when you can enjoy a pour and stay on budget.

And that's the cool thing. I can afford to buy higher end bourbon. But taste buds say it not necessary. I totally respect all who enjoy complex bourbons. I actually have a bottle of  Pappy in my stock. I have had Stagg, and not the just the Jr.  They are good. Maybe not worth the hype, but good. When I can afford more, why do I get excited over JTSBIB, HH6 90 or Mellow Corn? Has to be the roots, or I am am uneducated idiot.

6 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

And that's the cool thing. I can afford to buy higher end bourbon. But taste buds say it not necessary. I totally respect all who enjoy complex bourbons. I actually have a bottle of  Pappy in my stock. I have had Stagg, and not the just the Jr.  They are good. Maybe not worth the hype, but good. When I can afford more, why do I get excited over JTSBIB, HH6 90 or Mellow Corn? Has to be the roots, or I am am uneducated idiot.

Hey!  As long as you're a happy  uneducated idiot; who else cares (or should even have a vote), right?      LIVE HAPPY:P, as much as possible, I say!   ...And, it seems that's exactly what you're doing, cdcdguy!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hey!  As long as you're a happy  uneducated idiot; who else cares (or should even have a vote), right?      LIVE HAPPY:P, as much as possible, I say!   ...And, it seems that's exactly what you're doing, cdcdguy!

I am happy! I have gone up and down and back on this bourbon journey over the last 5 to 10 years. A friend is a LS manager so I have gotten quite a few LE stuff. I think Weller 107 is fantastic! But then I say " hey, when are you getting the ETBIB in?"

It was the BIBs that fit me. BIB should be basic in bottle! I love them. I must say this bourbon discovery, going on the bourbon trail several times, searching and winning and losing, has been one of the funest things I have done in my life so far.

Edited by cdcdguy

It makes it more exciting for me because you can be on the hunt for something rare, but, at the same time, continue to discover bourbon that's readily available and cheap.  

Edited by PhantomLamb

So, would chopped steak/hamburger steak be equated with mid shelf offerings?   :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So, would chopped steak/hamburger steak be equated with mid shelf offerings?   :huh:

Biba! Joe

I'll buy into that. midshelf is a pretty good sweet spot.

I'll say, I like regular BT better than ER, and VOB better than 1792.  JTS Brown is a great pour.  Like what you like.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

When Lee Iacocca, inventor of the Mustang, worked at Ford Motor Co. Bill Ford told him that the best burgers in the whole world were made right there in the company  cafeteria. So Lee went to see the cook about it. Cook showed him how to make a burger for Bill. Take a prime steak and run it through the grinder. Make a patty and throw it on the grill. Of course, this was Bill Ford's burger, not the one that got served to other employees in the cafeteria. But Bill probably enjoyed feeling humble enough to appreciate a good ol' proletarian hamburger.

I still lament the demise of good ol' AAA.

I like regular BT better than ER, and VOB BIB better than RR 1792.

A really good steak can be a meal to remember, but not all steaks are good.  Also, sometimes people don't know how to cook a steak.  Hamburger is much more consistent.

Sometimes I literally prefer a nice well-crafted younger 6 or 7 year bourbon over the higher shelf stuff.  I'm referring to WT101, HH6BiB, Baker's, FC103 6yr, OE7yr101, and I'll now add the 5 year old JB Distiller's Cut to that.  Just recently I had a tasting session whereby I had pours of several bourbons that ran the gamut all the way up to WT Decades and 4RSmBLE and still, somehow the JBDC kept speaking to me.  Sometimes a slightly younger whiskey provides just what the taste buds are looking for.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

41 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I like regular BT better than ER, and VOB BIB better than RR 1792.

Right there with you. Barton used to always have VOB 86 and 1792 at their tastings and even the 86 is still better than the 1792, IMHO

• I like it 2

There was a thread awhile back about bourbon zen - perhaps this is it - having experienced all the complex and LE bourbons and finding your way back to the basics

• I like it 1

There was a thread awhile back about bourbon zen - perhaps this is it - having experienced all the complex and LE bourbons and finding your way back to the basics

This...but I’m still working to get there.

I too prefer hamburger to steak.  If I buy steak it is a modest cut say WT Rare Breed or FRSB.  I do want to try some RR10 and EHT small batch as well as 1792 small batch, I can't find VOB in my area.  Is 1792 small batch even steak?  When I do splurge, more often than not, I tend to buy single malt scotch or single pot still irish whiskey.

Edited by kaiserhog

I used to think I "needed" expensive/top shelf/limited bourbons to really appreciate what I was drinking. That was many years ago when I first got into "whisk(e)y". Now, I find that, like you, I prefer a good, well made bourbon over the pricier offerings.... although there is nothing wrong with indulging in those from time to time.?

These days, I find myself sticking with OGD BiB most of the time. It just hits the right spot for me.  That said, I do love steak!?

Edited by ebo

As the OP here. I was drinking Makers 46 last night. Lovely.  I can appreciate something not basic. OF1920. Great stuff. But most times I don't  want to do the hard work to appreciate really good complex bourbon. But I can be distracted opening mail and still enjoy a glass of JTSBIB. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.