Game of Thrones Single Malt Collection

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wasn’t seeking these, but stumbled upon four of the eight at a price below regular retail prices, so I took the plunge. I’ve found one of the remaining four and have a line on two more, but the Clynelish seems to be evading me. Does anyone have access to that one (actually two bottles)? PM me if you do.

Is anyone else planning on picking up any of these? I know it’s all just a marketing ploy by Diageo, but the prices are reasonable, and most of the whisky will probably be pretty good anyway...and I have to admit that they do come in very cool containers.

IMG_0031.jpg

I don't watch the show but based on specs/price I'm hoping to grab the Lagavulin, Talisker and Clynelish. 

I don't watch the show but based on specs/price I'm hoping to grab the Lagavulin, Talisker and Clynelish. 

Yeah, I actually bought two each of the Lagavulin and Talisker. For some reason, the Clynelish is a tougher find in my area.

Just now, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, I actually bought two each of the Lagavulin and Talisker. For some reason, the Clynelish is a tougher find in my area.

I've yet to see them here but we are usually late to most parties in NJ. 

• I like it 1

Love the show.  Not interested in the collection, but looks like a fun chase - good luck - I’ll keep my eyes peeled

• I like it 1

The Clynelish is available at multiple Binny's locations around Chicago

A little too far away from me.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:42 PM, lcpfratn said:

A little too far away from me.

Slacker.  :D

• I like it 1

Slacker.  [emoji3]

Yeah, yeah! I keep hoping I’ll find one or more closer to me...they’ve just been released, so maybe I’ll find one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp I did in fact pick up these three, also grabbed the Singleton and Cardhu for a friend so looking to see how the Talisker and Lagavulin stack up to their closest kin, Talisker Storm and Lag 8. 

y4mgb3Jbm4GFReytO_5rsSN77iQWWy3TQ7MWeqnh

• I like it 2

My wife and I love the show, but wasn't planning on picking them up.  I mean - I figured one show-themed whiskey was plenty (although doubtless every other option will be more rewarding to drink!) :lol:  But this apparently does tricks when you put it in the freezer!  Can't wait to see if my frozen pizza shows white-walker teeth marks by morning ;) 

IMG_20181201_075439.thumb.jpg.31c15904ecf30c363ba66acf2972709c.jpg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, GaryT said:

My wife and I love the show, but wasn't planning on picking them up.  I mean - I figured one show-themed whiskey was plenty (although doubtless every other option will be more rewarding to drink!) :lol:  But this apparently does tricks when you put it in the freezer!  Can't wait to see if my frozen pizza shows white-walker teeth marks by morning ;) 

IMG_20181201_075439.thumb.jpg.31c15904ecf30c363ba66acf2972709c.jpg

I suppose it is no more (or less) tacky than the Walking Dead themed wine where if you used an app on your phone and pointed it at the bottle the label "came to life" so to speak and the zombies started attacking.

Which begs the question whether zombies can in fact come to life...

• I like it 1

I’m a huge Lagavulin fan and GoT fan so I went ahead and bought a few of those, plus the Dalwhinnie because it was $35. I had a friend buy me the Cardhu, Singleton, Clynelish, and Royal Lochnagar for Christmas, so now I guess I might as well find the Oban and Talisker. So far the 4 I’ve tried have all been very good, with the Lagavulin and Clynelish being great. The bottles will also be cool decoration for a while too

Edited by Surtur
  • I like it 1

Thanks to FasterHorses for finding the Clynelish that I was missing to complete the GoT set! I’ve got to start trying some of them soon.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, kevinbrink said:

Whelp I did in fact pick up these three, also grabbed the Singleton and Cardhu for a friend so looking to see how the Talisker and Lagavulin stack up to their closest kin, Talisker Storm and Lag 8. 

y4mgb3Jbm4GFReytO_5rsSN77iQWWy3TQ7MWeqnh

I've never watched GoT, so I couldn't care less about the branding angle. On a quality basis, these three may be the only ones of interest to the typical whisky nerd. For me, the only two worth paying the branding premium are the Lagavulin and Clynelish - too many NAS options available from Talisker to bother with the GofT version...

I've never watched GoT, so I couldn't care less about the branding angle. On a quality basis, these three may be the only ones of interest to the typical whisky nerd. For me, the only two worth paying the branding premium are the Lagavulin and Clynelish - too many NAS options available from Talisker to bother with the GofT version...

Actually, there isn’t really much of a branding premium that I can see. I was actually really surprised how well priced this series is, and that was what got me interested in them since I’ve never watched GoT either.
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't planning on buying any but bought the Talisker and the Dalwhinnie because Costco had them for prices that compelled me to take a chance.  

• 2 months later...

If anyone can help me locate a Royal Lochnagar I would really appreciate it. For what that’s worth. Its the only one I need to complete the set. I know sometimes things i cant find are plentiful in other parts of this great land. Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, mross said:

So has anyone cracked open one of these yet?

I've not cracked mine, I only picked up the Talisker, Lagavulin and Clynelish, but a buddy cracked his, he picked up the Dalwhinnie, Singleton, Royal Lochnagar and Cardhu he likes them fine enough. 

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I've not cracked mine, I only picked up the Talisker, Lagavulin and Clynelish, but a buddy cracked his, he picked up the Dalwhinnie, Singleton, Royal Lochnagar and Cardhu he likes them fine enough. 

Cool, thanks, I have the Cardhu, have not opened it yet. Was thinking of getting the rest, just because, but was concerned that it might be all marketing and no taste. Sounds like they are at least decent.

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Cool, thanks, I have the Cardhu, have not opened it yet. Was thinking of getting the rest, just because, but was concerned that it might be all marketing and no taste. Sounds like they are at least decent.

The consensus I have heard is that they are mostly no worse than the standard release from each distillery and are at least different enough to be worthwhile in most cases, worth retail but not above in most cases unless you really like Game of Thrones or complete sets of things. 

• I like it 2

I’ve opened the Clynelish and Lagavulin 9yr. They are both good, but the Lagavulin is very good. If you’ve had the Lagavulin 8yr and like it, you will like the GoT Lagavulin 9yr. Marekv8 has opened the Dalwhinnie, and probably other bottles, and he recommended that I open the Dalwhinnie next instead of the Oban or Talisker that I had planned on opening. I was even surprised that the JW White Walker was pretty decent...well, at least better than JW Red, but that’s obviously not a very high bar.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, mross said:

So has anyone cracked open one of these yet?

Yes, all of them. Enjoying the Clynelish now in my hotel room. My biggest gripe with the series is the E150a across the range to standardize the color. 

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, all of them. Enjoying the Clynelish now in my hotel room. My biggest gripe with the series is the E150a across the range to standardize the color. 

Everyone's favorite color Diageo Gold 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.