Game of Thrones Single Malt Collection

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Everyone's favorite color Diageo Gold 

I've seen the reports from extensive consumer testing specific to the liquid color and it's effect on purchase/trial/experience... and we are squarely in the minority. No different from the cosmetic or food industries.

• I like it 2

• 6 months later...

4A3736BE-8106-46ED-90BE-0AB03C38EEED.jpeg.01a852a20570824cdd6416b3fa11e570.jpegIf anyone is looking - these are sitting on the shelf now 

Not sure why it’s sideways - iPhone update is wacky

Edited by jvd99

• 2 months later...
Anyone seen or had one of the Mortlach?

It’s available in my area. Of course, Diageo substantially raised the price on this one. I haven’t tried it yet, but I have one...maybe two.

It’s available in my area. Of course, Diageo substantially raised the price on this one. I haven’t tried it yet, but I have one...maybe two.

Yeah but gold tube and a higher age statement, that’s worth 2-3 times the price.
  • I like it 1

Yeah but gold tube and a higher age statement, that’s worth 2-3 times the price.

I’m a fan of older Mortlach, so a higher price was justified, but Diageo pushed it a little higher than I would have liked...but what’s a fella gonna do when he has all of the others in the collection..buy the “last,” “final” and latest edition of course!

I’m a fan of older Mortlach, so a higher price was justified, but Diageo pushed it a little higher than I would have liked...but what’s a fella gonna do when he has all of the others in the collection..buy the “last,” “final” and latest edition of course!

Thinking of good decently aged Mortlach I had this a few months back and it was incredible.

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7980.jpg

2nd bottle in the 2nd pic.
  • I like it 1

Thinking of good decently aged Mortlach I had this a few months back and it was incredible.

IMG_7982.thumb.jpg.6dce4db74690eabaf256c7c6b1d94934.jpg

IMG_7980.thumb.jpg.9965e9f430b752b0d4e0b5542fd28be2.jpg

2nd bottle in the 2nd pic.

That’s one hell of a collection in the background, not to take away from the great looking bottles on the table. How old was that Caroni?

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

The 25% tariff affected this release along with the second wave of Lagavulin Offerman bottles that rolled in. I've being getting scare-tactic emails from liquor stores all week trying to drive sales with the threat of the proposed 100% tariff potentially taking effect shortly. 

As to the original question-- I have the GoT Mortlach, but with the recent bottle move I'll need another week or so to open it and compare it to the recent 16yo OB. The 2019 Diageo Special Release Mortlach 26 is just starting to trickle into the USA, but the tariff puts it into a different category.

That’s one hell of a collection in the background, not to take away from the great looking bottles on the table. How old was that Caroni?

Some crazy bottles at this place yes. That Caroni was 16 year bottle that was barreled 1998, easily best rum I’ve ever had.
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

More like one hell of a terrifying collection! Full shelves of expensive bottles without any kind bar/rail along the front to minimize the risk of one or more bottles taking a header off the shelf always terrify me.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

As to the original question-- I have the GoT Mortlach, but with the recent bottle move I'll need another week or so to open it and compare it to the recent 16yo OB. The 2019 Diageo Special Release Mortlach 26 is just starting to trickle into the USA, but the tariff puts it into a different category.

We tasted thru three of the GOT bottles (Clynelish, Talisker and Lagavulin) and I have to say I was consistently and completely disappointed by all three. They all tasted like Distillery "light" version. An older off the shelf Talisker 10yo was far more enjoyable to me. As a result I haven't sought out any of them. The three we tried were fortunately not my purchases.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

We tasted thru three of the GOT bottles (Clynelish, Talisker and Lagavulin) and I have to say I was consistently and completely disappointed by all three. They all tasted like Distillery "light" version. An older off the shelf Talisker 10yo was far more enjoyable to me. As a result I haven't sought out any of them. The three we tried were fortunately not my purchases.

Yes, they were dialed down to serve as entry-level offerings-- what really bothered me was that they were all heavily colored to achieve a uniform appearance. I was hoping that the Royal Lochnagar 12yo was going to be interesting— but chill-filtered/colored and served up at 40% ABV, it didn't stand a chance.

More like one hell of a terrifying collection! Full shelves of expensive bottles without any kind bar/rail along the front to minimize the risk of one or more bottles taking a header off the shelf always terrify me.

Yeah this was in the cellar of a whisky bar in France I’m surprised that nothing like that never happens. They had some crazy bottles on display.

The 25% tariff affected this release along with the second wave of Lagavulin Offerman bottles that rolled in. I've being getting scare-tactic emails from liquor stores all week trying to drive sales with the threat of the proposed 100% tariff potentially taking effect shortly. 

I should have guessed that the tariffs had some effect on the GoT Mortlach. I knew the second round of the Offerman Lagavulin was affected by the tariffs, and haven’t bought any from the second release for that reason. I’m certainly hoping that the 100% tariffs don’t actually become a reality!
  • I like it 1

I should have guessed that the tariffs had some effect on the GoT Mortlach. I knew the second round of the Offerman Lagavulin was affected by the tariffs, and haven’t bought any from the second release for that reason. I’m certainly hoping that the 100% tariffs don’t actually become a reality!

Crud a good exchange rate and just when I was getting into Scotch. Trump can EAD!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.