PVW Fever is Renewed Once Again

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/15/2018 at 8:40 AM, BottledInBond said:

I feel like the people I know that are most eager to chase PVW currently are newer people to the hunt. It seems like more of the people that have been enthusiasts for a while are a little over it. I know that for me personally this will likely be the first time in many years that I won’t buy anything from the VW line, and I’m totally fine with it. The other shift is that where I live there seems to be much more demand from bars and restaurants for this stuff than in the past. So while I think there is a little easing of people hunting it in stores, the amount stores are getting is also down. Certainly as smokinjoe said, people still know they can get some clicks with these articles for the time being

I guess I have to correct myself as I ended up buying a VW product after all, only because I found it for MSRP and didn’t have to do a lottery or anything

• I like it 2

I paid too much for a lot b this year and have been seriously down on myself since. Never again. But the fever hit me this year. 

24 minutes ago, Mickbourbon said:

I paid too much for a lot b this year and have been seriously down on myself since. Never again. But the fever hit me this year. 

You can't undo what's already been done.  All you can do now is enjoy it! :)

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You can't undo what's already been done.  All you can do now is enjoy it! :)

That’s true. I will feel better 2 glasses in. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 3:00 AM, Surtur said:

I have several store even in my small town with bottles from last year that they never could sell for the ridiculous prices they want. All this says to me is that the people willing to pay secondary price have all moved on to other things.

Yeah, they moved on to secondary sites. They can’t stay up long enough if priced accordingly (425/475/900/1300/1900, give or take).

Every store in NYC has ‘em, for $100/yr. The only people buying them know about secondary where it’s significantly cheaper than that.

I don’t knock myself out trying for Pappy, it’s way too crazy.

Edited by uncork_it_already

We've all read about how more and more of the fall releases are going to bars and restaurants these days. Tonight Mrs. Vosgar and I went to a banquet and saw this at the restaurants bar. Pretty substantial for little ole Rockford, IL

20181204_190338.jpg

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

We've all read about how more and more of the fall releases are going to bars and restaurants these days. Tonight Mrs. Vosgar and I went to a banquet and saw this at the restaurants bar. Pretty substantial for little ole Rockford, IL

20181204_190338.jpg

WTF?????!!!!!! I'm sure you had a pour of each selection at a reasonable price as well! I'm not sure that I would have been able to pick my jaw up off the floor. I am all for establishments getting some of the spoils, but that is ridiculous! I guess the only good thing is you can tell some of the bottles have been opened. Needless to say they will not be running out of supply anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, elmossle said:

WTF?????!!!!!! I'm sure you had a pour of each selection at a reasonable price as well! I'm not sure that I would have been able to pick my jaw up off the floor. I am all for establishments getting some of the spoils, but that is ridiculous! I guess the only good thing is you can tell some of the bottles have been opened. Needless to say they will not be running out of supply anytime soon.

I think I only see 4 open bottles in that whole cabinet!?

2 minutes ago, elmossle said:

WTF?????!!!!!! I'm sure you had a pour of each selection at a reasonable price as well! 

The only VW listed on their whiskey menu was VWFRR for the low, low price of ........wait for it.............$120 for a 1 oz. pour. I ended up ordering a 2 oz. Blantons for $14

14 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I think I only see 4 open bottles in that whole cabinet!?

I see two ER17 open. PVW 23,20,15 open and a bottle of OWA in the back that looks to be open. I would guess they have another bottle or two open, but no more than that. And if those are the prices  for pours, it will be there for a very long time.

8 hours ago, elmossle said:

I see two ER17 open. PVW 23,20,15 open and a bottle of OWA in the back that looks to be open. I would guess they have another bottle or two open, but no more than that. And if those are the prices  for pours, it will be there for a very long time.

Yeah, these bottles seem to be more for self-glorification of the owner(s) than for enjoyment of the spirit(s). 

I will say, it's an impressive display.... if intended as a "mini-museum" rather than an offer of drams for sale.

9 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I ended up ordering a 2 oz. Blantons for $14

Now, THAT sounds pretty reasonable.  And a fine choice, IMHO.

?

13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

20181204_190338.jpg

It's...it's beautiful...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

It's...it's beautiful...

I agree. But how does it taste. Don't look like there is lots of tatsing going on there.

About a month ago I stopped at a store off Rt 17 in SC, the LS had a very nice display of rare burbons from current years to going back 5 years, in a conditioned room with mostly wine, but they kept the rare bourbon there also. After seeing the outragouse prices, my comment was sure looks good but I wonder if anyone will every know how they taste. 

23 minutes ago, Dango said:

I agree. But how does it taste. Don't look like there is lots of tatsing going on there.

About a month ago I stopped at a store off Rt 17 in SC, the LS had a very nice display of rare burbons from current years to going back 5 years, in a conditioned room with mostly wine, but they kept the rare bourbon there also. After seeing the outragouse prices, my comment was sure looks good but I wonder if anyone will every know how they taste. 

Exactly.  What's the point of buying them if you aren't going to drink them?

17 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The only VW listed on their whiskey menu was VWFRR for the low, low price of ........wait for it.............$120 for a 1 oz. pour. I ended up ordering a 2 oz. Blantons for $14

I have a restaurant/bar near my house that seemingly gets all the spoils of our small area, and their prices are bad, but not that bad. They have every annually released LE and stuff like Booker's Rye, at $100 for a 1 oz pour. Let's see, $150 a pour for some of the PHC bottles, or $15 for a 750ml WT101 hmm...

There's a website named Huckberry that sells pricey and sometimes unique clothing, gear, and even whiskey glasses that is in the last step of a promotion that features PVW whiskeys. if you bought a certain amount of merchandise, you would qualify to enter a drawing for one of different PVW vintages. The last bottle in the series of drawings is a 23 YO bottle which the site says is valued at $5,000. That estimate may just be a come on to encourage a purchase or two but I find it amusing. Amusing but not enough to convince me to whip out the Visa.

While at U-Studios in FL this past weekend, I received 2 phone calls. One for a Blanton's, which I scooped up on tues. The other store offered me a GTS and a ER17 at 2 car notes each. Also on the list was a Pappy 12 & 15 for a house note & a note and a half respectively. Looks like I won't get my 1st taste of the big boys, this coming year.

Screw Em'... Amen...

On the, "a little better news front", I ran into the BT rep & told him that I was looking for one of the big boys & told him that I had a Blanton's Gold to trade if he dove into his personal stash. He perked up with that statement & said he would see what he could do. I would not have even made the offer if I wasn't so head up on trying something different, as I consider the Gold to be the best I have tried so far.

• I like it 1

On 12/4/2018 at 9:41 PM, Vosgar said:

20181204_190338.jpg

i guess the favor BT products.

31 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

i guess the favor BT products.

Nothing can clean out a tater’s wallet better!

I was told a higher proportion of BTAC and PVW went to on-premise accounts this year than last. 

What if all PVW and BTAC went to on-premise accounts?  Wouldn't that help reduce the Pappy Von Fever?

18 hours ago, bayouredd said:

While at U-Studios in FL this past weekend, I received 2 phone calls. One for a Blanton's, which I scooped up on tues. The other store offered me a GTS and a ER17 at 2 car notes each. Also on the list was a Pappy 12 & 15 for a house note & a note and a half respectively. Looks like I won't get my 1st taste of the big boys, this coming year.

Screw Em'... Amen...

On the, "a little better news front", I ran into the BT rep & told him that I was looking for one of the big boys & told him that I had a Blanton's Gold to trade if he dove into his personal stash. He perked up with that statement & said he would see what he could do. I would not have even made the offer if I wasn't so head up on trying something different, as I consider the Gold to be the best I have tried so far.

I have no idea of your car or house or the size of those notes. I can say I would stretch to a probable stupid level to capture an elusive 2018 ER17. BUT at some point I would cry uncle too.

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

I have no idea of your car or house or the size of those notes. I can say I would stretch to a probable stupid level to capture an elusive 2018 ER17. BUT at some point I would cry uncle too.

Sometimes my Yugo-size wallet gets lost as its surrounded by the Cadillac-priced bottles in the parking lot on Bourbon Street.  

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Yea, I realize that my pricing legend is relative, but lets just say that everything offered started at $750 & went up to $2500. None of those bottles were worth 6 or more Blanton's Golds to me... Good Luck with your hunting...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.