Henry McKenna BIB

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone noticed that they redesigned the label and added a cork top? They kept the 10 year statement. Definitely a bright spot with all of the overpriced age stated Bourbons out there and age statements dropping. The best deal out there IMO at $22 a bottle.

Has anyone noticed that they redesigned the label and added a cork top? They kept the 10 year statement. Definitely a bright spot with all of the overpriced age stated Bourbons out there and age statements dropping. The best deal out there IMO at $22 a bottle.

It ain’t $22 a bottle in my area. It used to be just under $30 in most stores, but after getting a lot of attention last year at one of the big Whiskey competitions, it’s around $35 most places now.
  • I like it 1

It ain’t $22 a bottle in my area. It used to be just under $30 in most stores, but after getting a lot of attention last year at one of the big Whiskey competitions, it’s around $35 most places now.

Just went to $39.99 here. I loved it as a sub $30. I even loved it at the $32.99 it was recently. 40ish pushes it to where I just don’t know anymore. Given that I can usually get Eagle Rare around 32-34.... not even remotely the same profile but I like ER enough to forgo HM at those prices.
  • I like it 1

Just went to $39.99 here.

I am pretty sure it just went to $39.99 here in NJ as well. I don’t pay much attention to HMcK on the shelves anymore, as I am stocked with some older bottles as well as some store selections from years ago. But I do recall noticing this price recently at some stores. I guess it was only a matter of time, and for 10 year 100 proof whiskey of this quality, that’s still a pretty good buy IMO.
  • I like it 1

Here’s an example of just how far some stores will go.  One store in my semi local area is including HM BIB as part of its “other” special bottles offered during their Pappy/BTAC/LE whiskey fiasco after Thanksgiving. -_-

Joe

This just jumped to $35 (from $30) in my area the beginning of the month. My last two bottles had the cork closure, but the label change must've been slight as I didn't notice that.

Edited by BDanner

This conversation reminds me of ETL--went from readily available for cheap to unavailable at any price. The trend can not be good.

3 hours ago, BDanner said:

This just jumped to $35 (from $30) in my area the beginning of the month. My last two bottles had the cork closure, but the label change must've been slight as I didn't notice that.

Same $5 jump here. Also heard it’s now an “allocated” item from HH

13 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Same $5 jump here. Also heard it’s now an “allocated” item from HH

I still see it, but it isn’t stacked 12 deep on the shelf and one store has moved it into the ‘case’ with ecbp, c eht (when avail), and others. 

Not common in every store here, but I think that's the stores decision.  Generally $33, but one store I shop stocked up this spring, and still has dozens of cases.  It's been on sale there continuously, ranging from $25-28.  Found a great barrel among them, and bought 6 back in May, so I'm stocked...

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

This conversation reminds me of ETL--went from readily available for cheap to unavailable at any price. The trend can not be good.

Now I'm starting to worry....Total wine has always had shelves full of it but it has been sporadic the last couple of months. Mainly empty shelves. Minnicks reviews don't help.

I was at a store that had it at $49.99... my mouth dropped...  what in the actual F??  but they had ECSmB at $25, so I don't know what's going on,  they also had VOB BIB at $31, I've noticed increased pricing for that too along with it being in the glass case now.  uhhh, what's going on?

Last week was the first ever time it was out of stock at my local that I’m aware of. Price is still hovering around $32. While I hope that remains, I sure hope this new experience of people buying out the shelf does not. I love that stuff. 

23 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Now I'm starting to worry....Total wine has always had shelves full of it but it has been sporadic the last couple of months. Mainly empty shelves. Minnicks reviews don't help.

The jabronis at TW tell everyone who walks in the door that it's the Whiskey of the Year so they can pad their sales.

• I like it 1

It was never in my area (Oklahoma) until about 2 years ago. Then it was everywhere. But lately I haven't seen it at all. Visited 3 of my main stores a day ago and it was nowhere to be fund. Ugh. One of my go-to sippers! 

Where/when does this nonsense stop? Bourbonmania has set in deep. I feel like I'm scuba diving and have been caught in a shark feeding frenzy.  Not for just limited editions either. Now it seems their gutting the staples and jacking up the price and nothing's safe anymore. Is Eagle Rare next??? What's next  HMK loses it age statement? EWBiB reintroduced as premium Barrel proof? I love bourbon and will always drink it as a relaxation vent along with cigars, but these distillers have lost their minds. I personally cannot wait for this bourbon hysteria to end. 

Edit: HMK was $29.99 at Local, disappeared, and now is back at $36.99. I'm out at that price and will stick to my ER until they give it a makeover.

Edited by spectre

7 hours ago, spectre said:

Where/when does this nonsense stop? Bourbonmania has set in deep. I feel like I'm scuba diving and have been caught in a shark feeding frenzy.  Not for just limited editions either. Now it seems their gutting the staples and jacking up the price and nothing's safe anymore. Is Eagle Rare next??? What's next  HMK loses it age statement? EWBiB reintroduced as premium Barrel proof? I love bourbon and will always drink it as a relaxation vent along with cigars, but these distillers have lost their minds. I personally cannot wait for this bourbon hysteria to end. 

Edit: HMK was $29.99 at Local, disappeared, and now is back at $36.99. I'm out at that price and will stick to my ER until they give it a makeover.

Note please, it's not the 'distillers' that have lost their minds; it's the corporate decision makers, and it's NOT a loss of cognition.    In fact it's the reverse. 

They've awoke and smelled the coffee (whiskey?) so to speak.    The prices for nearly all 'premium liquors' (and even some pretty ordinary foreign products) have been waaaay beyond Bourbon for decades, in any reasonable comparison; but demand has only recently allowed Bourbon to 'catch up' and begin to charge fair market rates.    This market is indeed much different from that of 30-years ago, or even half that.     The good news, if you can think of it this way, is that the major Bourbon distillers have the re-investment capital strength to really produce, and to innovate like never before, so maybe it's the sun rising upon a new Golden Age of Bourbon, eh?

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Note please, it's not the 'distillers' that have lost their minds; it's the corporate decision makers, and it's NOT a loss of cognition.    In fact it's the reverse. 

They've awoke and smelled the coffee (whiskey?) so to speak.    The prices for nearly all 'premium liquors' (and even some pretty ordinary foreign products) have been waaaay beyond Bourbon for decades, in any reasonable comparison; but demand has only recently allowed Bourbon to 'catch up' and begin to charge fair market rates.    This market is indeed much different from that of 30-years ago, or even half that.     The good news, if you can think of it this way, is that the major Bourbon distillers have the re-investment capital strength to really produce, and to innovate like never before, so maybe it's the sun rising upon a new Golden Age of Bourbon, eh?

You can put me in the cynical category I guess. The corporate bean counters are looking at their bottom dollar, and I ultimately look at my wallet. I'm sure this a supply and demand scenario where there's just not enough of a certain bourbon to meet demand, but how is HMK all of the sudden in such high demand to where it becomes an allocated "premium bourbon". I've seen this stuff sitting stacked deep on shelves and then slowly dwindle (thanks Mr Minnick), and now it's new iteration and price.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what "innovation" is in regards to whisky production. I understand re-investment and putting more money into additional rick houses and distillate. How do you innovate it though?

I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk, it's not my intent. I'm just very displeased with what seems to be a rapidly changing trend of lowering age statements and increasing prices. Maybe I'm in the minority and being unreasonable, but that's how I feel. Whisky/bourbon is ultimately a luxury item that I can choose to purchase or not. 

Unfortunately it looks like McKenna might be on the "allocated" path due to the boom. I'm noticing it on the secondary selling for $40-$50. 

42 minutes ago, spectre said:

You can put me in the cynical category I guess. The corporate bean counters are looking at their bottom dollar, and I ultimately look at my wallet. I'm sure this a supply and demand scenario where there's just not enough of a certain bourbon to meet demand, but how is HMK all of the sudden in such high demand to where it becomes an allocated "premium bourbon". I've seen this stuff sitting stacked deep on shelves and then slowly dwindle (thanks Mr Minnick), and now it's new iteration and price.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what "innovation" is in regards to whisky production. I understand re-investment and putting more money into additional rick houses and distillate. How do you innovate it though?

I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk, it's not my intent. I'm just very displeased with what seems to be a rapidly changing trend of lowering age statements and increasing prices. Maybe I'm in the minority and being unreasonable, but that's how I feel. Whisky/bourbon is ultimately a luxury item that I can choose to purchase or not. 

I completely understand your displeasure at the existing trends; but, decrying the price increases, the lowered supplies, and the loss of age statements of your "favorites" is, at least to me, short-sighted and a bit selfish.    ..And, it denies market realities.     We all wish everything we want would be readily available at prices WE deem fair; but, the market place doesn't work that way, and never has. 

Bourbon consumers have had it all their way for a very long time; but that time has ended.    We are living in a new reality whether we like it or not, and nothing we wish for will change that.

As to your question about innovation: finished Bourbon, flavored Bourbon, Bourbon cordials, all are profit centers and are areas the distilleries are innovating; not to mention explorations of barrel production methods, wood sourcing alternatives, wood curing options, storage condition studies... and all this only scratches the surface of what's been going on behind the scenes... and out front, for that matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.