Booker's 30th Anniversary

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just saw this  come up on our PA LS website.  Anyone heard anything about this?  $200 is a tad steep for me but I'd think about it...

Edited by PhantomLamb
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Just saw this  come up on our PA LS website.  Anyone heard anything about this?  $200 is a tad steep for me but I'd think about it...

It’s a blend of 9 &16 year old bourbons. I think there was a thread about it previously.

There's a thread about it but it died off before Beam announced the switch to a blend of 9 and 16.

21 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

A "tad" steep seems a bit of an understatement. But then what new "special release" isn't these days. It will (probably) definitely be a try before a buy bottle for me.

Indecision may or may not be my problem....

• I like it 1

Beam LE pricing is really all over the place, that being said at $200 they will sell every bottle them make unlike a KC Boubon LE priced at 40% less with an older age statement because of the perception of the "brands". I'd like one but I can't see myself spending $200 on it. 

Well, Booker’s 25th didn’t have any 16 year juice in it (I think it was 9/10 year barrels) and if they were putting out more bottles from that release it would sell out immediately @ $200. The $25th was only $100 but that was 2014 right? Demand and pricing have gotten a lot worse across the board since then and I suspect this will sell out rapidly as well, although I won’t be too worried if I don’t see any. 

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Well, Booker’s 25th didn’t have any 16 year juice in it (I think it was 9/10 year barrels) and if they were putting out more bottles from that release it would sell out immediately @ $200. The $25th was only $100 but that was 2014 right? Demand and pricing have gotten a lot worse across the board since then and I suspect this will sell out rapidly as well, although I won’t be too worried if I don’t see any. 

Agreed.  While I'm a huge fan of Booker's, the marketing on this is absurd and not worth $200 for a blend.  If it was straight 16 year, then maybe...

Sorry for the double-post.

6 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I remember passing up a couple of bottles of Booker's 25th because it was $130 at my store instead of $100.  Just couldn't stomach the mild price hike.  Still kicking myself over that fit of morality...

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I remember passing up a couple of bottles of Booker's 25th because it was $130 at my store instead of $100.  Just couldn't stomach the mild price hike.  Still kicking myself over that fit of morality...

Hmmm.    Booker's 25th was (is?... if you still have any) a decent Bourbon, and depending upon your preferences, possibly a step up from Booker's batches that preceded it.   For my own particular taste buddies it was only a small step, though.    Did I regret over-spending for a bottle?   Maybe a little, but not that much.   However, at $200 I'll be sitting this new one out.   I like regular Booker's batches pretty well, in general.    Some a tad better than others; but none I've had were bad.

That said, I've left all of 'em on the shelf since the ridiculous price increase.   That's partly because I'm a cheapskate; but, also as a mini-protest against what I consider a bit of a 'gouge' by B/S. 

^_^  Also, I still have several bottles of batches I favored in the 'bunker', and for those I gave waaaaay less cheddar; so, I know they'll taste better!   HA!  :D

1 minute ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmm.    Booker's 25th was (is?... if you still have any) a decent Bourbon, and depending upon your preferences, possibly a step up from Booker's batches that preceded it.

Oh, I don't lose sleep over it, but I would have preferred to have pulled the trigger rather than leaving them on the shelf.  I too am on the sidelines with current Booker's, as I have several older bottles in the bunker in the 7 year + age bracket, and am not keen on the price hike for younger Booker's.  I am good to go for a while.

As to the forthcoming release, like most limited releases, I'll see if I find it, when I find it, what the price is, and what I'm "feeling" that day.

I'm probably a buyer at $200 if I see one.  I too haven't bought any in quite some time given the price bump, as I had a couple in the bunker I'm very slowly working through.

Last year I participated in a double blind tasting of three bourbons. Upon the reveal I discovered that I rated 2013 Stagg first, 2014 Stagg just a bit behind, and Booker's 25th a very distant third. 

I'm going to have to try this Booker's first before I spend $200 on it which means I'll likely miss out because we all know that you have to jump before you try in the current market.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Last year I participated in a double blind tasting of three bourbons. Upon the reveal I discovered that I rated 2013 Stagg first, 2014 Stagg just a bit behind, and Booker's 25th a very distant third. 

I'm going to have to try this Booker's first before I spend $200 on it which means I'll likely miss out because we all know that you have to jump before you try in the current market.

Steve, you’ve been doing this way longer than I have, but that seems to be a difficult flight to use in a tasting. Two similar or nearly identical whiskeys and one very different one. I would think in any flight like that, the Bookers would’ve either been to one preference extreme or the other. 

Let's see.  For $200 I can purchase 3 of the regular Booker's.  I had several of the 25th anniversary Booker's, and yes, they were very good.  But not a blend.  I would not purchase this for $200.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:52 AM, Charlutz said:

Steve, you’ve been doing this way longer than I have, but that seems to be a difficult flight to use in a tasting. Two similar or nearly identical whiskeys and one very different one. I would think in any flight like that, the Bookers would’ve either been to one preference extreme or the other. 

Blind tastings are difficult by nature due to the risk of betraying your biases. One of the guys doing this tasting absolutely swore by Bookers 25th as one of the finest bourbons he’d ever tasted. Even he rated it third.

I think it’s absolutely genius to put in two of the same whiskey (in this case a different batch separated by a year) because it forces you to be honest about what you are tasting. Your brain is telling you they should be different so you have to listen to the taste buds. In my case, the two Staggs definitely tasted different but they both also tasted like Stagg and I correctly identified both as such, though I didn’t try to identify years. 

On 11/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Agreed.  While I'm a huge fan of Booker's, the marketing on this is absurd and not worth $200 for a blend.  If it was straight 16 year, then maybe...

Sorry for the double-post.

Yeah, I might pay $200 for a straight 16 year. But honestly, when I can get an 11-14 year store pick of Knob Single Barrel for $40, I'm not sure why I would even bother.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah, I might pay $200 for a straight 16 year. But honestly, when I can get an 11-14 year store pick of Knob Single Barrel for $40, I'm not sure why I would even bother.

I just paid $40 for a 14.5 year KCSB. I think I’ll get a few more of those and skip this. 

• I like it 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, jeffrey r said:

Don't feel bad.  I did EXACTLY the same thing.  In fact, I called the owner over and told him the list price and he had a lot of nerve overcharging like that.  I have mellowed a bit since then.

Edited by BourbonGuy

On 11/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, KyleCBreese said:

I just paid $40 for a 14.5 year KCSB. I think I’ll get a few more of those and skip this. 

I wish I had store picks like this available.  I can't find any steals like this.

On 11/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, EarthQuake said:

If Beam could (very unlikely) match up the standard batch $90 price tag with a consistent 9yr product, I’m game. 

$10/yr for cask strength NCF juice is fair IMO. 

$90 (in my market) for 6 yr and change and then $200 for 9 yr LE??

I agree with Quake. Find a solid KCSB store pick for $44 and load up. 

KCSB and Baker’s scratch any and all Beam itches I have. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm stuck working on a boat for the next month, so if anyone sees one of these at their local and they don't want it, I'd appreciate some sb.com help in picking some up for me.

PM me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.