Barrel Aged Boulevardiers for the Holidays!

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Moving this from the PHC thread.  My LS ordered St. Georges Bruto for me so I was able to pick up a bottle of that.  Also grabbed a bottle of Dolin vermouth.

Per tanstaafl2's recipe looks like the proportions will be:

1 bottle St. Georges

1 bottle Dolin

1.5 bottles Bourbon - I would like to bump this to 2 bottles to 1) fill the barrel and 2) yield more final product as a good portion will be holiday gifts.  Do you think this will negatively impact the final product?

No bitters or anything else go in this cocktail correct?  

I noted that tanstaafl2 suggests a cherry and flahute an orange twist so those finishing touches will be added at serving.  I do consider adding and oz or two of Luxardo syrup or maybe an oz of orange bitters as i know some of my receipients will not take the time to garnesh properly.  But maybe for next round. 

At the end of the day I suspect my concerns will all be unnecessary.  It's bourbon, it will be delicious!  

Any other input/thoughts welcome!  I will look to barrel by this weekend and will post a few pictures

And we’re off! Went with two bottles of W107 and one each of Dolin Vermouth and Bruto Americano. No bitters, no cherry syrup. Will give it two weeks or so, lightly shaking/rotating every few days. Happy Thanksgiving!

998A17EB-F320-4AA4-9ADD-06025E441FCA.jpeg

Bruto is going to be interesting. Jumping into the deep end of the pool but I am curious to hear the results. I like to add bitters to each drink individually as it comes out of the barrel but I have seen them used in the mix when it goes in by some bars. Figuring out the right ratio to use is a bit of a challenge. I tried to estimate how much a “dash” is in the past but can’t recall what I came up with. Maybe 0.7 ml?

I don’t thing using 2 oz of whiskey will be a big problem. At least not for this group!

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 4 months later...

This came out well.  I was/am not the biggest fan of the bitter woody finish that comes from the Bruto, but the wife absolutely loves it . W107 made for a fantastic cocktail, however with new pricing it will not be something I repeat.  

Next up will be a batch of Vanilla BA Manhattans.  Got three bottles of OF Rye each with a split vanilla bean going, they should be ready sometime in early May.  Will then go three bottles of Vanilla Rye, one bottle vermouth, and undecided on any other bitters/flavors at this point.  Looking like a early June completion.  

• 8 months later...

I recently was given a new Oak Bottle (https://oakbottle.com/).  This one holds 6 cocktails and is a medium toasted char.  I did the 2 day water soak to get every thing all swelled up and ready.  Mixed up a batch of Vieux Carre.  Hope it turns out okay. 

• 3 weeks later...
And we’re off! Went with two bottles of W107 and one each of Dolin Vermouth and Bruto Americano. No bitters, no cherry syrup. Will give it two weeks or so, lightly shaking/rotating every few days. Happy Thanksgiving!
998A17EB-F320-4AA4-9ADD-06025E441FCA.thumb.jpeg.1d94aa8492b4c2df230d142c50e85cf3.jpeg

How did it come out?

On 1/5/2020 at 12:48 AM, BigPapa said:

How did it come out?

Very good and well received by both the wife and sisters.  As noted above the bitter finish was not my personal cup o tea.

Actually finished up the last of this batch last night.  I have one bottle of Old Fashioned and 2/3 bottle of Manhattan left and then will need to go buy another barrel and start over.  Probably going to size up this time 5L at least.  Maybe bigger.  Probably will look into doing this next Fall for 2020 Xmas gifts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.