Woodford Master’s Collection Oat Grain and Select American Oak

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody try either of these yet? The price went up again, so I’m hesitant to buy before I try, so I thought I’d see if any of my fellow SB members had tried either of them yet.

I tried oat grain. It’s weird. Not bad but not good enough for the price. 

Did I mention it was weird?

• I like it 1

I tried oat grain. It’s weird. Not bad but not good enough for the price. 
Did I mention it was weird?

More or less weird than the Cherry Wood Smoked Barley?
  • I like it 1

Picked up select American oak for a friend but he has not tried yet. Will update if I can remember.

On a related note...Double Double Oaked from the Distillery series is very good. Haven’t cracked the more recent BiB yet.

I just ran into this one but, thought I would see what was said first. I think I will save the $130 for other possibilities...

I just ran into this one but, thought I would see what was said first. I think I will save the $130 for other possibilities...

They are both $140 in my area. Steve has given his opinion on the oat grain, but I keep hoping Bruce will chime in and give us the skinny on these from his perspective...because that’s what he always does for us! [emoji3]

• I like it 1

I tried the first two WRMC releases, the Sonoma Cutrer and Four Grain. I’ve passed on each and every one since. :ph34r:  (I sometimes miss the old puke emoji from back in the day before the site was upgraded.)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I tried the first two WRMC releases, the Sonoma Cutrer and Four Grain. I’ve passed on each and every one since. :ph34r:  (I sometimes miss the old puke emoji from back in the day before the site was upgraded.)

Biba! Joe

Both of those were wickedly awful.  (Yes! On the puke emoji!). I have tried most since, and have found a few that I could tolerate, and maybe one I could say I enjoyed.  This has been such a huge miss of an LE Line for Woodford.  

On 11/27/2018 at 9:04 PM, lcpfratn said:

More or less weird than the Cherry Wood Smoked Barley?

I never tried that one so I can't say.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This has been such a huge miss of an LE Line for Woodford.  

I really wish they'd quit effin' around with these and instead give the consumers what they've made loud and clear that they want. True barrel proof Woodford. Woodford with extra age that's all column still. Heck - any Woodford that's all column still. Barrel proof OF.

They'd kill it with those.

• I like it 3

I never tried that one so I can't say.

It is very interesting or weird tasting too. I’ve gotten where I don’t hate it, but I’d never buy it again.

I hate to get on a high horse, but it's like Chris Morris is trying to hard...… This hole series has for the most part been a disappointment to true bourbon drinkers. The batch proof is the only thing that I have enjoyed in the whole series. I know that WR (BF) has some great bourbon in its inventory, this different "wood barrel", finished in this or that, this grain or that grain needs to stop. Give us some good age stated, single barrel, barrel proof bourbon, BiB, and quit this nonsense. A limited once a year bourbon should not sit on the shelf. It should be something special that bourbon drinkers want. 

Ok, I'm done...….. back on the ground walking my horse.  

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

21 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I hate to get on a high horse, but it's like Chris Morris is trying to hard...… This hole series has for the most part been a disappointment to true bourbon drinkers. The batch proof is the only thing that I have enjoyed in the whole series. I know that WR (BF) has some great bourbon in its inventory, this different "wood barrel", finished in this or that, this grain or that grain needs to stop. Give us some good age stated, single barrel, barrel proof bourbon, BiB, and quit this nonsense. A limited once a year bourbon should not sit on the shelf. It should be something special that bourbon drinkers want. 

I guess they are releasing a BIB; but the price for a 375 is over the moon.   I'll be passing unless I get a free  taste that really blows my hair back. 

I don't recall the exact figure I saw; but it would've been pretty high for a 750... and it's only half that size.

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I guess they are releasing a BIB; but the price for a 375 is over the moon.   I'll be passing unless I get a free  taste that really blows my hair back. 

I don't recall the exact figure I saw; but it would've been pretty high for a 750... and it's only half that size.

I guess that would be the other factor, is to keep the price somewhat reasonable. 

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I don't think it's Chris. He knows what we want. I know because I and others have told him. In person. He gets it. He also can't do anything about it.

It's the knuckleheads in branding and marketing that make these boneheaded decisions. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I don't think it's Chris. He knows what we want. I know because I and others have told him. In person. He gets it. He also can't do anything about it.

It's the knuckleheads in branding and marketing that make these boneheaded decisions. 

Is not EVER THUS??!      The folx with their 'boots on the ground' (and usually their finger on the pulse of the customers) are given the least voting power in the corporate offices so damned often, eh?

I think the top bananas in large corporations feel like the marketing and advertising staff MUST know 'something'  (nobody ever seems to be able to determine what), otherwise why have those departments; right? 

And, HEY! We're paying 'em big bux for their unique understanding of ... ?something?, right?

Therefor, they must be shown respect.   

And, the ones doing the grunt work must not have much going on between the ears, otherwise they'd be wearing expensive suits and hanging around the VP's, instead of getting their hands dirty doing the "lowly production" work, right?

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I understand 100% what you are saying, but its his name on the bottle. When the Antique Collection comes out we give credit to Harlen Wheatley, not marketing and upper management.

Just saying, not trying to be a smart ass....  

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

When the Antique Collection comes out we give credit to Harlen Wheatley, not marketing and upper management.

Which is a mistake because Harlan didn't create the Antique Collection.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Which is a mistake because Harlan didn't create the Antique Collection.

I know that.

He determines what bourbon goes in the bottles since he became MD in 2003 or 2004 (some where in that time frame)

On 11/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, flahute said:

I really wish they'd quit effin' around with these and instead give the consumers what they've made loud and clear that they want. True barrel proof Woodford. Woodford with extra age that's all column still. Heck - any Woodford that's all column still. Barrel proof OF.

They'd kill it with those.

If they go there, that’s tantamount to waving the white flag on the pot stills.  

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

....and that wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO.

BTW, I've never been a big Woodford fan, but am I the only one who thinks their standard product was better when Lincoln Henderson was MD? I've still got one of those stashed away but I don't want to buy another current bottle to do a SBS. (maybe it's just one of those "remember when" things where your mind looks more favorably on past experiences than it should)

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

....and that wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO.

BTW, I've never been a big Woodford fan, but am I the only one who thinks their standard product was better when Lincoln Henderson was MD? I've still got one of those stashed away but I don't want to buy another current bottle to do a SBS. (maybe it's just one of those "remember when" things where your mind looks more favorably on past experiences than it should)

It's already available but you have to go to WR and do a "barrel selection" which means you pick a blend of two barrels. They give you all the info about pot or column distilled in the single barrel samples you try and have blended. If you like it you are committed to a barrel's worth so it's not convenient!

Since the column still whiskey comes from Old Fo they can just make it easy and do barrel proof Old Fo. It would be a hit.

Or, do a barrel proof WR from column still only but don't tell anyone. It would be a smash hit.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:32 PM, lcpfratn said:

They are both $140 in my area. Steve has given his opinion on the oat grain, but I keep hoping Bruce will chime in and give us the skinny on these from his perspective...because that’s what he always does for us! emoji3.png

If you buy some I am happy to try some and offer an opinion, otherwise I am done with this one!. Really, I mean it this time!

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me twice shame on me.

Fool me three times shame on me.

Fool me four times shame on me.

Etcetera, etcetera... 

:angry:

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 2

If you buy some I am happy to try some and offer an opinion, otherwise I am done with this one!. Really, I mean it this time!

Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me three times shame on me.
Fool me four times shame on me.
Etcetera, etcetera... 

:angry:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
But, but...you always say that and then come through. I will confess that I will probably end up with a bottle of the Select Oak, but I’m probably going to wait on the Oat Grain...Steve says it weird, but of course he thinks Dickel tastes weird too. [emoji6]

50 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
But, but...you always say that and then come through. I will confess that I will probably end up with a bottle of the Select Oak, but I’m probably going to wait on the Oat Grain...Steve says it weird, but of course he thinks Dickel tastes weird too. emoji6.png

Go for it! I am out as of today.

As for tomorrow?

Who knows!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.