Woodford Master’s Collection Oat Grain and Select American Oak

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:41 AM, flahute said:

I don't think it's Chris. He knows what we want. I know because I and others have told him. In person. He gets it. He also can't do anything about it.

It's the knuckleheads in branding and marketing that make these boneheaded decisions. 

This is a shame.  They hired him to be an expert and the face of the brand.  Yet, they force him to support releases that have limited appeal.  I gave up on Woodford special releases after the Masters Collection Rye two pack set.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, LCWoody said:

I know that.

He determines what bourbon goes in the bottles since he became MD in 2003 or 2004 (some where in that time frame)

Hard to imagine any master distiller has total final say about what goes into a bottle. Some may have opinions that are weighed heavily but the brands have tasting panels, master tasters and blenders who all have some input into the process. 

• I like it 2

On 11/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, flahute said:

I really wish they'd quit effin' around with these and instead give the consumers what they've made loud and clear that they want. True barrel proof Woodford. Woodford with extra age that's all column still. Heck - any Woodford that's all column still. Barrel proof OF.

They'd kill it with those.

King of Kentucky ?

I guess technically that's ET mash bill, but close enough.

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

King of Kentucky ?

I guess technically that's ET mash bill, but close enough.

You know, I tried that a couple times and it's just OK. Too much oak.

What I'm after is a regular release, or, a yearly recurring LE, that would kill it just as much as BTAC does every year.

Brown Forman has the whiskey. They just can't get out of their own way and release what the consumer wants.

• I like it 2

You know, I tried that a couple times and it's just OK. Too much oak.
What I'm after is a regular release, or, a yearly recurring LE, that would kill it just as much as BTAC does every year.
Brown Forman has the whiskey. They just can't get out of their own way and release what the consumer wants.

What did you think of the Spring release of the Woodford Masters Collection Batch Proof? I thought it was a definite step in the right direction and believe it is supposed to be an annual release.

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Have you tried the Old Fo Mint Julep ?  ;)

Seriously, I agree with you 100%.

They could pull it off.

• I like it 1

Just now, lcpfratn said:

What did you think of the Spring release of the Woodford Masters Collection Batch Proof? I thought it was a definite step in the right direction and believe it is supposed to be an annual release.

I think it's great. It shouldn't be a Masters Collection release at $125 though. It limits the desirability because of the price. It should be a regular release priced like Stagg Jr. or ECBP. If they did that they wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelf. 

When it comes to top shelf and LE bourbons, Sazerac runs laps around everyone else except for Four Roses (and Four Roses is stumbling a bit) and yet everyone else can't get out of their own way and figure it out.

The blueprint is right there for everyone to see! Get your heads out of your butts and do something right! It's not hard!

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Have you tried the Old Fo Mint Julep ?  ;)

Seriously, I agree with you 100%.

They could pull it off.

LOL!!!!!

So this happened since no one else wanted to be the guinea pig. I haven’t tried the select oak yet, but the Oat Grain is interesting. We tried it at the tasting at FacePlant’s house last night, although I can’t remember whether he tried it or not. A couple of us thought it was OK or better than expected, but there was at least one dissenter (he also didn’t like this year’s PHC finished barrel offering).

The Oat Grain is very sweet with the expected cereal notes on the nose and palate, and a bit of cinnamon along with a good balance of oak. I think it’s worthy of more exploration, but I tend to like some of the weird flavors. I do like this better than last year’s Cherry Wood Smoked Barley, but that’s certainly not a very high bar. I’ll have to have a few more pours before I decide whether I’d buy it again, but for the adventurous soul with the funds to spare, it might be worth a look.

IMG_0037.jpg

• I like it 1

You, sir, are a true Human Being!    Sacrificing yourself in such a manner!   So; Thank You for your selflessness!

You'll be rewarded for your actions, I'm sure.   ;)  Just maybe not in your lifetime, or on your palate very much..... :lol:

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

for the adventurous soul with the funds to spare, it might be worth a look.

This should be on the shelf talker 

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, flahute said:

The blueprint is right there for everyone to see! Get your heads out of your butts and do something right! It's not hard!

They need to go and buy themselves some Curacao barrels.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, lcpfratn said:

So this happened since no one else wanted to be the guinea pig.

Next stop, Bourbonian Of The Year...

Haven't been on this website in a decade. Still the same tired old forum, if it ain't Buffalo Trace it  can't be bourbon.

Had both the the WR Select Oak and Oat over the Thanksgiving Holiday, all four bourbon drinkers enjoyed them.

Paid $99 a bottle (which is the MSRP).

1 hour ago, BootFNBD said:

Haven't been on this website in a decade. Still the same tired old forum, if it ain't Buffalo Trace it  can't be bourbon.

Had both the the WR Select Oak and Oat over the Thanksgiving Holiday, all four bourbon drinkers enjoyed them.

We'll educate us, Boots.  What did you and crew like about them?

Hmmm....someone with 21 total posts as of this posting comes on the forum after 10 years, and your first comment is to bad mouth the forum. Maybe you should spend some more time on the forum before making such a statement. In regards to WR MC Select Oak and Oat Grain bottles, the MSRP is higher than $99, but congrats on finding them for that price. The Oat Grain is OK. I still haven’t opened my bottle of Select Oak, but I am anticipating that I’ll like it when I do.

Hmmmm.   'tired'?    'old'?    I wonder wherein this impression arises?     Is there an 'energetic' 'new' forum we should be aware of?    Please educate us, that we too, may be enlightened.

As to your insinuation that everybody here worships BT products to the exclusion of all other distilleries; I haven't been aware of that in my meager experience here.    Please explain this opinion, as well, if you would.

• I like it 1

MSRP is $130

Actually, it’s only been four and a half years (give or take) since your last visit Boot. Since then, things have changed a lot here whether you choose to believe so or not. What apparently hasn’t changed is your attitude towards this site and  some of it’s members. Remember the warning you were once given? Probably not. If you think our site is that old and boring, why come back and stir things up?  Or was stirring things up your intention all along?  Either way, your first post after all this time is a pretty sad one if you ask me. FWIW, judging by the posts after yours, I’m pretty sure most folks here would agree with me.  Oh, Happy New Year to you too. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, BootFNBD said:

They enjoyed them because you paid for them. Nothing as good as a free glass of bourbon.

And you cant argue with success, BT is putting out good bourbon, (this coming from a guy that thinks the best bourbon ever made came from WT).

On 1/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, BootFNBD said:

I'm going to suggest that you do a little reading before making overly broad generalizations such as this which frankly makes you look like a fool.

Reading comprehension is your friend. Embrace it. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.