Jim Rutledge Cream of Kentucky

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:59 PM, Vosgar said:

I'm surprised anyone is selling their 11.5yr old bourbon to an upstart distillery these days, even if it is JR. There's too much money to be made with older whiskey, so I'm guessing he paid a bundle for those barrels. However, with his name recognition they're probably thinking they can sell every bottle at whatever price point they choose. Unless it's crap whiskey, they'll be right.

They aren't giving the stuff away.  They know what they can sell it for and what they will make in profit after all the overhead of bottling and marketing that goes into.  If an NDP approaches a large KY distillery with 11.5 year old bourbon and offers to pay more than what they could profit on it themselves, hell yes they sell it.  Of course now the NDP has overpaid for whiskey that now they have to in turn mark up for a profit and that's how you get $100+ 11.5 year old bourbon.  In normal times folks would see this for what it is, but these days if you say something is 'limited' in bourbon all common sense goes out the window.

Edited by wadewood
  • I like it 7

This really isn't a terribly important question, but I'm curious are there (or have there been) other bourbons labelled with a half year age statement?

13 minutes ago, maybeling said:

This really isn't a terribly important question, but I'm curious are there (or have there been) other bourbons labelled with a half year age statement?

Bookers has had X Years Y Months on the label for quite a long time, some single barrels similarly list portions of a year. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bookers has had X Years Y Months on the label for quite a long time, some single barrels similarly list portions of a year. 

Right. The years expressed in decimal notation just looks unusual to me.

According to this: https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml
"The age of the whisky must be stated in hours, days, months, or years, as appropriate."

Does that mean they could have (legally) labelled it as "100,740 hours old"? Granted, that would be annoying as hell...
They present a list of acceptable formats which only have spaces for months and years, but I imagine it isn't restricted to those formats because as you mentioned Booker's lists years, months, days.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, maybeling said:

"The age of the whisky must be stated in hours, days, months, or years, as appropriate."

Does that mean they could have (legally) labelled it as "100,740 hours old"? Granted, that would be annoying as hell...
They present a list of acceptable formats which only have spaces for months and years, but I imagine it isn't restricted to those formats because as you mentioned Booker's lists years, months, days.

I also remember Beam used to use months only for even long aged bourbons some years ago.  As I remember, it was relatively prevalent on commemorative releases and decanters.  Things like “180 months” were common.  

• I like it 2

Ezra Brooks was another one that used months for some decanters

20181205_192046.jpg

On 12/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, flahute said:

He still believes in high rye and that's what he'll do with his own distillate.

For Cream of Kentucky, I know they had to get something out there or risk losing rights to the brand name and they had a hard time finding Kentucky bourbon for sale at a reasonable price. What we can count on is that no matter the source, it will be good because Jim won't put his name on it if it isn't.

There is an allowed trademark application for CREAM OF KENTUCKY owned by Stephen Camisa with a final deadline of December 29, 2018 to file a declaration that the trademark is in use and to submit evidence of that use. So that would certainly provide motivation to get something out now, even if it isn't part of their long term plans.

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

There is an allowed trademark application for CREAM OF KENTUCKY owned by Stephen Camisa with a final deadline of December 29, 2018 to file a declaration that the trademark is in use and to submit evidence of that use. So that would certainly provide motivation to get something out now, even if it isn't part of their long term plans.

Stephen Camisa is the partner in the business.

Cream of Kentucky is in the long term plans I believe as is High Plains though I don't think they planned on whiskey that old. As you said, there was some motivation!

On 12/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, maybeling said:

I think we need to do another KC barrel pick so we can get the exact time it was dumped, and then make a custom label for the hours (we'll have to do some "At LEAST . . ." on there without knowing the time of day the barrel was filled).  I think that would be cool (ok, more geeky) as hell :lol: 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

True!

That's a marketing rendering and not necessarily an accurate depiction of what's planned. Still, it's way better than those pyramids.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, maybeling said:

I think there is some craft stuff out there that could be accurately be labeled in hours.  

On 12/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, wadewood said:

They aren't giving the stuff away.  They know what they can sell it for and what they will make in profit after all the overhead of bottling and marketing that goes into.  If an NDP approaches a large KY distillery with 11.5 year old bourbon and offers to pay more than what they could profit on it themselves, hell yes they sell it.  Of course now the NDP has overpaid for whiskey that now they have to in turn mark up for a profit and that's how you get $100+ 11.5 year old bourbon.  In normal times folks would see this for what it is, but these days if you say something is 'limited' in bourbon all common sense goes out the window.

In other words I’ll be a tater of epic proportion when I sacrifice having the brakes repaired on my wife’s car to get this bottle when I have bottles of ECBP in the bunker I bought for $60 that’s older and better?

• I like it 3

On 12/7/2018 at 9:29 PM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Nothing says KY Bourbon better than pyramids.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, wadewood said:

Nothing says KY Bourbon better than pyramids.  

It seriously is still blowing my mind that they think it’s a good look.  I have my doubts that the city of Bardstown will let that rendition go through.  

Jim’s however...looks like it’s in the wheelhouse if how you should do it.  

I'll be a little contrarian here...

I don't hate the look of the rendering.    Is it rather too 'modern' for my tastes?  Yes.     Could this design be modified, or even scrapped entirely, before any dirt is turned?  Absolutely.

So, for now, I say; "let's wait to judge any of this", though the wait for judging the sourced CoK will apparently be brief, and that's a good thing.

Does anybody know which States will get bottles?

Brokered bottles from Barton. Hitting Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Mass, Maryland/DC, California, Colorado and some control states. Info c/o Fred Minnick

• I like it 1

I’ll grab a bottle if I run across one.  Not gonna go chasing on the secondary.  That’s a steep price already.  

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Vosgar said:

Ezra Brooks was another one that used months for some decanters

20181205_192046.jpg

Tis the season for creepy bourbon man figurines

Well, it loox like it will be available in the early part of next year, at least for those states that get any at all. 

1500 cases isn't a tiny amount (9,000 bottles, if those are 6-bottle cases) so I'm assuming many here will get the opportunity to sample, and maybe even own this Bourbon. 

Personally, I'll await impressions of more folx (or a taste for myself... unlikely, I know) before spending a lot of energy trying to acquire a bottle.   Minnick and I rarely seem to agree on much regarding Bourbon choices.

The suggested price isn't stratospheric; but, it is a lot of cheddar for one bottle of whiskey, so there's that, as well.

Being so limited will make it an absolute MUST for a lot of folx who collect and/or flip.     For me, the chance to drink it is the main motivator, and having a great deal of really nice pours in my own personal stash renders the 'next shiny object' a little less than the "Holy Grail".    I do like the Barton profile, in general, and would more than likely enjoy this Bourbon very well... just not sure I'd like it as well as the final price that will be charged commands.

So, I guess 'reserving my decision' is the current most I can say about it.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Well, it loox like it will be available in the early part of next year, at least for those states that get any at all. 

1500 cases isn't a tiny amount (9,000 bottles, if those are 6-bottle cases) so I'm assuming many here will get the opportunity to sample, and maybe even own this Bourbon. 

Personally, I'll await impressions of more folx (or a taste for myself... unlikely, I know) before spending a lot of energy trying to acquire a bottle.   Minnick and I rarely seem to agree on much regarding Bourbon choices.

The suggested price isn't stratospheric; but, it is a lot of cheddar for one bottle of whiskey, so there's that, as well.

Being so limited will make it an absolute MUST for a lot of folx who collect and/or flip.     For me, the chance to drink it is the main motivator, and having a great deal of really nice pours in my own personal stash renders the 'next shiny object' a little less than the "Holy Grail".    I do like the Barton profile, in general, and would more than likely enjoy this Bourbon very well... just not sure I'd like it as well as the final price that will be charged commands.

So, I guess 'reserving my decision' is the current most I can say about it.

Price is pretty crazy, though I did buy Booker's 30th so who am I to criticize. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Per Minnick, supposedly Barton whiskey and will be $149.99. Shipping starts Friday

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrVtFjXno_I/

Another review where Minnick reveals that a whiskey tastes like...EVERYTHING!!!  :D

I wish this whole “curated” thing gets canned soon.  It sounds ridiculously pretentious and affected.  Kinda like a cravat...

• I like it 4

Though I wish the price was less we are in this bourbon world where if you compare this to what else is in the price range this starts to stand out a bit. If this is good enough for Jim to risk his reputation on it then I'd be pretty confident in what's in the bottle. 

Just got the word that my bottle of Cream of Kentucky is waiting for pickup. (Acronym CoK may not work so well in these times ?)

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.