Jim Rutledge Cream of Kentucky

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/26/2018 at 10:54 AM, smokinjoe said:

I think $20 is a rather fair price for a shot of this.  

Totally agree. 16 oz Miller Lites are $9.50 at Soldier Field.  Good value? Hell no, but I’m having a couple (plus the flask I smuggled in because let’s get serious that price is crazy).

And quite frankly if this were priced at the MSRP equivalent of $6/oz ($150/25) it would be gone in a day and most likely to someone like one of us who would post about the steal they found after killing half the bottle.

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Totally agree. 16 oz Miller Lites are $9.50 at Soldier Field.  Good value? Hell no, but I’m having a couple (plus the flask I smuggled in because let’s get serious that price is crazy).

And quite frankly if this were priced at the MSRP equivalent of $6/oz ($150/25) it would be gone in a day and most likely to someone like one of us who would post about the steal they found after killing half the bottle.

I stand corrected. Clearly it is just better all around, for many reasons, when people charge us double price for our whiskey.

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I stand corrected. Clearly it is just better all around, for many reasons, when people charge us double price for our whiskey.

I never said it was better, just that given the landscape of the market and normal bar/restaurant pricing I did not think $20 was that out of line.  

Heck a bottle of wine at almost any restaurant is normally three to four times the retail price.  If at a bar and they had 1.5oz pours of Weller 12 for $9 I would consider that very reasonable and with an MSRP of $28 that is almost a 540% markup.  I see BTAC all over the place from $40 (hell no) to $25 (hmmmm tempting) to anything under $20 which is where I would bite for a tipple of WLW.   Any craft beer at a bar is expected to be $7-8 now and at a sporting event you are looking at up to $10 for a lite beer.  Cocktails are always $10-14.  Pricing has always been out of wack with MSRP.

I am much more annoyed with the $150 MSRP price tag on this.  Maybe it's that extra half year of age . . . 

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I never said it was better, just that given the landscape of the market and normal bar/restaurant pricing

You are not at a bar or restaurant.

You are at a liquor store.

20 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Interesting so you would not have the same objection to the $20 price in a bar?  It is specifically that the liquor store is effectively making double on the bottle in the name of "helping" its clients try something rare?

I tend to still liken it to bar pricing, but I can see the distinction.  I will say the Virginia ABC lottery that charges a 100% premium for the full PVW sets does irritate me something fierce though.  Just on principal.

41 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I believe Rural Inn is the place in question.  If so, I understand it to be both a liquor store and tavern.  

• I like it 1

Rural Inn is indeed a bar slash liquor store, probably not in that order. I suppose anyone discouraged from visiting due to the character of the neighborhood just leaves more good juice for those of us who aren't bothered by the East Side 

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Interesting so you would not have the same objection to the $20 price in a bar?  It is specifically that the liquor store is effectively making double on the bottle in the name of "helping" its clients try something rare?

I tend to still liken it to bar pricing, but I can see the distinction.  I will say the Virginia ABC lottery that charges a 100% premium for the full PVW sets does irritate me something fierce though.  Just on principal.

That doesn't really bother me, but I really would like them to treat it more like New Hampshire where they actually care about the selection and do legitimate picks.  Virginia is a big enough state that I would think they could do a ton of Four Roses picks.

I also think Pennsylvania has gone to full on secondary pricing and they also aggressively prosecute people who sell on secondary.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I believe Rural Inn is the place in question.  If so, I understand it to be both a liquor store and tavern.  

Just checked out their webpage and facebook feed.  For what it's worth the Cream of Kentucky is actually $15 per 1.5oz pour limit 1, and Booker's 30th is $20 for 1.5oz.

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Wow! Not too far from where I used to live many,many years ago. 

Biba! Joe

On 12/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow! Not too far from where I used to live many,many years ago. 

Biba! Joe

All this talk about the Rural Inn makes me want to stop in while I am on holiday break.  I will be driving right by there when I meet friends on Mass Ave for lunch on New Year's Day.   I won't be exactly driving right by there unless I go a little out of the way.  As George W. says, it is all about having a good stratergy.

I used to live not too far from that area and, while it is a bit sketchy, it's not nearly as bad as some other parts of Indy. Never bellied-up to the bar, but spent a good chunk of change in the store. Great stuff. That's the store that was selling bottles of PS EWSB that were filled with wheated bourbon - that was interesting!

On topic, I have nothing but respect for JR and wish him the best in all of his future endeavors. That said, if you take the label off of the CoK bottle, you're left with 11.5yr Barton. How many people would be willing to pay these prices for 1792 11.5yr? Probably not many. JR may have done a stunning job with the blending, but it's something I would have to try before even considering a purchase. I don't mean to sound like a Negative Nancy. I hope they sell all of this and get some financing in the pipeline for their future products, but cringe when I think of the frenzy this is going to produce.

• I like it 9

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say $20 or $30 a pour isn't bad if it keeps you from spending $150 on a disappointing bottle...

Haven't opened the Booker's yet, but wasn't impressed with my first taste of CoK... Jesus, GeeTen is right about the acronym...

I will say it got better toward the bottom of the glass so another tasting is in order... hell, I guess another 25 or so tastings... Glad to hear all the positive reviews on the Booker's 30th though...

Bookers.jpg

• I like it 3

Anyone else try the Cream of Kentucky yet? Spent so much lately and not a big 1792 fan. Has not hit my market yet, but probably soon and I’m Debating whether I even want it with the big price tag. . . 

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Anyone else try the Cream of Kentucky yet? Spent so much lately and not a big 1792 fan. Has not hit my market yet, but probably soon and I’m Debating whether I even want it with the big price tag. . . 

I have yet to see or hear a positive impression of it. 

• I like it 1

Sounds like a positive review for sure but I've never seen this guy do a critical one.  In any case, I'll probably never see this on the shelf in Calif. so all academic.  :mellow:

• I like it 2

Thanks Kevin/Brian.  I made an executive decision and preemptively offered it to a friend if I got the chance to purchase.  So my quandary is gone.  Plus I will likely still get a taste which is nice. :)

• I like it 3

Have one open and about 1/3 consumed. Everyone who has tasted it has liked it. Did a SBS with 1792 Full Proof (unscientificly proofed down) and the similarities were obvious. The Rutledge carries more oak/tannins than the 7yr old 1792. But the DNA is clearly linked. QPR is bad on this one for sure. My purchase was to support the brand and JR who I have much respect for. If you are buying this for the drinking pleasure alone.....there are much better values-like 3 bottles of 1792 private select. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Have one open and about 1/3 consumed. Everyone who has tasted it has liked it. Did a SBS with 1792 Full Proof (unscientificly proofed down) and the similarities were obvious. The Rutledge carries more oak/tannins than the 7yr old 1792. But the DNA is clearly linked. QPR is bad on this one for sure. My purchase was to support the brand and JR who I have much respect for. If you are buying this for the drinking pleasure alone.....there are much better values-like 3 bottles of 1792 private select. 

The sad thing is that they aren't making much profit on these. That's the reality of what bulk whiskey costs now.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

The sad thing is that they aren't making much profit on these. That's the reality of what bulk whiskey costs now.

Having heard this quite a bit lately, how did TW sell this so cheap at the end of last year https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/hickory-hill-12yr-straight-bourbon/p/189871750?s=302&igrules=true

48 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Having heard this quite a bit lately, how did TW sell this so cheap at the end of last year https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/hickory-hill-12yr-straight-bourbon/p/189871750?s=302&igrules=true

Two possible reasons. 

One - this is Total Wine. They could be taking an intentional loss to get people into the store. Or, they negotiated a screaming deal for themselves by taking on the entire stock.

Two - the more likely reason is that Hickory Hill or whoever the producer is bought these barrels some time ago before the big price spikes and have been aging them on site.

• I like it 1

Tried some when I was in KY and passed on it here in MD.  Not something I could see myself wanting to drink again. 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

It wasn't like it tasted offensive... the price tag however was... 

It's a solid $60 bottle of bourbon... Then there's the other $100 which I suppose is for Jim's signature...

26 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Then there's the other $100 which I suppose is for Jim's signature...

No, it was the initial cost of the barrels. 11+ year old barrels of bourbon on the bulk whiskey market are not cheap any more. It's the current rules of the sourced whiskey game.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.