Jim Rutledge Cream of Kentucky

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So . . . anyone tried it yet?  My LS has some in, but I'm holding out for now

Yes, leave it on the shelf. $150 bourbon that needs to be tossed in a drink because it has nothing to offer neat
  • I like it 1

29 minutes ago, luv2hunt said:

Yes, leave it on the shelf. $150 bourbon that needs to be tossed in a drink because it has nothing to offer neat

This is not true.

13 hours ago, luv2hunt said:

12 hours ago, flahute said:

This is not true.

Don't know how you can say that, Steve. A persons opinion on whether or not they like something cannot be judged as being "not true".

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Don't know how you can say that, Steve. A persons opinion on whether or not they like something cannot be judged as being "not true".

I'm not discounting a person's personal opinion. I'm challenging the blanket statement that it's no good period and that nobody else should try it. That is how I interpreted that comment.

I guess we're going to disagree on this one. To me saying "not true" isn't challenging a comment, it's a strong statement of right versus wrong.

15 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I guess we're going to disagree on this one. To me saying "not true" isn't challenging a comment, it's a strong statement of right versus wrong.

Sometimes I make short quick statements when I'm in a hurry and they get misinterpreted. It happens easily in written word on the internet. I apologize if I came off bluntly. I could have said it better.

Dawn told jv99 to leave it on the shelf because it offers nothing neat. That's a strong statement. She absolutely has a right to her opinion but that to me is more of a blanket statement than an opinion statement.

I don't like port/sherry finish bourbons. I actually have a similar feeling and have a hard time getting through a neat pour. When someone asks for an opinion about a port/sherry finish bourbon I don't chime in and tell them it sucks and they shouldn't even consider it. If I reply at all, I tell them to find out if they like port/sherry finish bourbons before diving in.

That's a very specific example so let's get a little more general. There are some extra aged bourbons out there that get asked about often. The Barterhouses and other Diageo brands as well as the EC 18s, 21s, and 23s. I had an EC21 that literally tasted like sawdust. I had to pour it out. When people ask about EC21 I don't tell them to leave it on the shelf because it tastes like sawdust. I tell them to be aware that single barrel variation exists and that it can be risky. For the others, I tell people to make sure they like an oak profile before diving in.

Inasmuch as you thought my words were a strong statement of right versus wrong (and indeed I can see how that is how anyone could see it), I also thought that Dawn's words were a strong statement that was taking what should be an opinion and then elevating it to fact. That seemed like the wrong tone to me. (And I admit I followed with improper tone).

Now, there are some things we can all agree on like how Oregon distilled Black Maple Hill sucks.

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Sometimes I make short quick statements when I'm in a hurry and they get misinterpreted. It happens easily in written word on the internet. I apologize if I came off bluntly. I could have said it better.

Dawn told jv99 to leave it on the shelf because it offers nothing neat. That's a strong statement. She absolutely has a right to her opinion but that to me is more of a blanket statement than an opinion statement.

I don't like port/sherry finish bourbons. I actually have a similar feeling and have a hard time getting through a neat pour. When someone asks for an opinion about a port/sherry finish bourbon I don't chime in and tell them it sucks and they shouldn't even consider it. If I reply at all, I tell them to find out if they like port/sherry finish bourbons before diving in.

That's a very specific example so let's get a little more general. There are some extra aged bourbons out there that get asked about often. The Barterhouses and other Diageo brands as well as the EC 18s, 21s, and 23s. I had an EC21 that literally tasted like sawdust. I had to pour it out. When people ask about EC21 I don't tell them to leave it on the shelf because it tastes like sawdust. I tell them to be aware that single barrel variation exists and that it can be risky. For the others, I tell people to make sure they like an oak profile before diving in.

Inasmuch as you thought my words were a strong statement of right versus wrong (and indeed I can see how that is how anyone could see it), I also thought that Dawn's words were a strong statement that was taking what should be an opinion and then elevating it to fact. That seemed like the wrong tone to me. (And I admit I followed with improper tone).

Now, there are some things we can all agree on like how Oregon distilled Black Maple Hill sucks.

This is not a short quick statement subject to misinterpretation. But that’s just my opinion. :D 

• I like it 3

Hmmm FWIW I read “This is not true” as nothing more than “I disagree” 

Anyway, back on topic. I delivered the Cream of Kentucky to my friend yesterday (kids birthday) and once we found time he opened and we had a wee dram.  Now I was already several barrel aged beers deep plus a few bourbons so details escape me. We both found the was pleasant, but not remarkable. I recall thinking it had similar characteristics to the 1792 line, but I can’t say I would have reached that conclusion not knowing the source.   He was gracious enough to pour me a sample so I will revisit again soon. 

So far for tasting notes we have “not overwhelmingly outstanding with a strange funkiness to it” by Kyjd75 who added water and it made a big difference, but no statement of good, bad or even what happened to the funkiness.

We also have flahate who tried it and found the same “funk”, tried it again with water and it tasted pretty darn good, but not worth the price.

Then we have Bob_Loblaw who tried it after he was several barrel aged beers deep who found it “pleasant but not remarkable”

And you’re questioning me? A well seasoned Bourbonian of the year, with a seasoned palate that knows what it likes? I’ll agree that we won’t all “like” the same things. But I’m being incredibly honest when I tell those of you looking for your “Holy Grail”, leave this one on the shelf.

• I like it 1

Btw. The boys here defend me because they know me and I’m incredibly honest and opinionated. (Sorry)

• I like it 1

This all makes me wonder.  Will Mr. R. try to replicate either the 19th century or post prohibition Cream Of Kentucky brand?  Or, is it, we now own the copyright ...

3 hours ago, luv2hunt said:

So far for tasting notes we have “not overwhelmingly outstanding with a strange funkiness to it” by Kyjd75 who added water and it made a big difference, but no statement of good, bad or even what happened to the funkiness.

We also have flahate who tried it and found the same “funk”, tried it again with water and it tasted pretty darn good, but not worth the price.

Then we have Bob_Loblaw who tried it after he was several barrel aged beers deep who found it “pleasant but not remarkable”

And you’re questioning me? A well seasoned Bourbonian of the year, with a seasoned palate that knows what it likes? I’ll agree that we won’t all “like” the same things. But I’m being incredibly honest when I tell those of you looking for your “Holy Grail”, leave this one on the shelf.

This is a confusing response to me.

I have a long detailed post above saying that I chose my words rashly and then spent some saying what I really meant. Maybe I didn't come out and apologize but that is what I meant. 

To your points though, there is a very big difference between your assertion that it can't at all be enjoyed neat versus my and others points that it tasted fine but that we don't think it's worth $150. Lots of bourbons taste fine - even great - and yet we wouldn't pay $150 for them. Again, this is very different from you statement that it isn't tolerable neat.

Also you mention in the follow up post that the boys defend you because you are honest and opinionated. I respect that. I am too. I'm also a friend of Jim Rutledge so I default to defending what I thought was a strong criticism.

The disappointing thing about your response though is the assertion that as a well seasoned Bourbonian of the year with a seasoned palate that you believe yourself to be above questioning. Is that really what you meant? Other BOTY's get questioned often. I'm not a BOTY but I am seasoned veteran that a lot of people look up to and yet I get questioned all the time.

Your response has an elitist attitude to it that I don't think you intend but that's the message being sent.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, luv2hunt said:

I was simply being “snarky” emoji2368.pngemoji57.png Cheers!

Aha! Your post reads entirely differently then and makes me look silly! Well played.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, luv2hunt said:

I was simply being “snarky” emoji2368.pngemoji57.png Cheers!

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Aha! Your post reads entirely differently then and makes me look silly! Well played.

Wheeeeew. For a minute there....  :wacko:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I have no illusions of it being anything special.  I simply purchased a bottle to support Jim.  With a run of approx. 7K bottles, mine is nothing more than a 'participation trophy' bottle, as I have no intentions of opening it anytime in the near future...

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wheeeeew. For a minute there....  :wacko:

Biba! Joe

I screwed up! Sorry to make you sweat Joe!

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have no illusions of it being anything special.  I simply purchased a bottle to support Jim.  With a run of approx. 7K bottles, mine is nothing more than a 'participation trophy' bottle, as I have no intentions of opening it anytime in the near future...

This is where I land as well.

26 minutes ago, flahute said:I screwed up! Sorry to make you sweat Joe!

It’s all good Steve. No sweat at all. I consider both you and Dawn good people, and good members. I’m fairly sure any number of folks here more than likely feel the same. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

If I see one I will buy it as a participation trophy also, the people on here that are "bourbon geeks" know the story behind this release. Take it for what it is. Those of us that live long enough to taste what is truly JR bourbon will be able to draw a conclusion then.

But I'm sure its going to be good. 

• I like it 1

Here is what I don’t understand:  folks here would have bought Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup branded bourbon if they knew it was JR’s project.  So is the CofK brand so powerful that it was worth putting out a product that was not up to his high standards just to keep the use of the name?

^^^^It's an old historic label that he was able to acquire rights to a few years back.  In this case, it was a use it or lose it situation for him.  He's smart enough to see the bigger picture in that the label is worth holding onto.  It also didn't hurt that this was a way to generate some much needed revenue for the distillery, and keep this label (and his name) out there.   

A bit of added perspective.... JR did 49 years at Four Roses.  Although no fault of his own, about 35 of those while his owners were satisfied to only let him distribute some absolute crap bourbon.

This iteration of CoK is a perfectly fine bourbon.  It's just not a grand slam like we'd all like to have see him come out of the gate with.  As in any endeavor, you only get to the pinnacle by climbing up from somewhere amongst the masses.   

Just wait until his rye is ready;)

Edited by Paddy
Edit to add...

I tried it and it is what I thought it was.  A big money grab.  It's a $40 bottle of Barton selling for $150 because they need capital to build a distillery.  Jim should have just retired.  

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, wadewood said:

I tried it and it is what I thought it was.  A big money grab.  It's a $40 bottle of Barton selling for $150 because they need capital to build a distillery.  Jim should have just retired.  

They have capital secured from other sources. This has nothing to do with that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.