kevinbrink

Jim Rutledge Cream of Kentucky

wadewood
On 12/1/2018 at 3:59 PM, Vosgar said:

I'm surprised anyone is selling their 11.5yr old bourbon to an upstart distillery these days, even if it is JR. There's too much money to be made with older whiskey, so I'm guessing he paid a bundle for those barrels. However, with his name recognition they're probably thinking they can sell every bottle at whatever price point they choose. Unless it's crap whiskey, they'll be right.

They aren't giving the stuff away.  They know what they can sell it for and what they will make in profit after all the overhead of bottling and marketing that goes into.  If an NDP approaches a large KY distillery with 11.5 year old bourbon and offers to pay more than what they could profit on it themselves, hell yes they sell it.  Of course now the NDP has overpaid for whiskey that now they have to in turn mark up for a profit and that's how you get $100+ 11.5 year old bourbon.  In normal times folks would see this for what it is, but these days if you say something is 'limited' in bourbon all common sense goes out the window.

Edited by wadewood
  • I like it 7

maybeling

This really isn't a terribly important question, but I'm curious are there (or have there been) other bourbons labelled with a half year age statement?

kevinbrink
13 minutes ago, maybeling said:

This really isn't a terribly important question, but I'm curious are there (or have there been) other bourbons labelled with a half year age statement?

Bookers has had X Years Y Months on the label for quite a long time, some single barrels similarly list portions of a year. 

• I like it 1

maybeling
5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bookers has had X Years Y Months on the label for quite a long time, some single barrels similarly list portions of a year. 

Right. The years expressed in decimal notation just looks unusual to me.

According to this: https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml
"The age of the whisky must be stated in hours, days, months, or years, as appropriate."

Does that mean they could have (legally) labelled it as "100,740 hours old"? Granted, that would be annoying as hell...
They present a list of acceptable formats which only have spaces for months and years, but I imagine it isn't restricted to those formats because as you mentioned Booker's lists years, months, days.

• I like it 1

smokinjoe
18 minutes ago, maybeling said:

"The age of the whisky must be stated in hours, days, months, or years, as appropriate."

Does that mean they could have (legally) labelled it as "100,740 hours old"? Granted, that would be annoying as hell...
They present a list of acceptable formats which only have spaces for months and years, but I imagine it isn't restricted to those formats because as you mentioned Booker's lists years, months, days.

I also remember Beam used to use months only for even long aged bourbons some years ago.  As I remember, it was relatively prevalent on commemorative releases and decanters.  Things like “180 months” were common.  

• I like it 2

Vosgar

Ezra Brooks was another one that used months for some decanters

20181205_192046.jpg

Jazz June
On 12/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, flahute said:

He still believes in high rye and that's what he'll do with his own distillate.

For Cream of Kentucky, I know they had to get something out there or risk losing rights to the brand name and they had a hard time finding Kentucky bourbon for sale at a reasonable price. What we can count on is that no matter the source, it will be good because Jim won't put his name on it if it isn't.

There is an allowed trademark application for CREAM OF KENTUCKY owned by Stephen Camisa with a final deadline of December 29, 2018 to file a declaration that the trademark is in use and to submit evidence of that use. So that would certainly provide motivation to get something out now, even if it isn't part of their long term plans.

flahute
1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

There is an allowed trademark application for CREAM OF KENTUCKY owned by Stephen Camisa with a final deadline of December 29, 2018 to file a declaration that the trademark is in use and to submit evidence of that use. So that would certainly provide motivation to get something out now, even if it isn't part of their long term plans.

Stephen Camisa is the partner in the business.

Cream of Kentucky is in the long term plans I believe as is High Plains though I don't think they planned on whiskey that old. As you said, there was some motivation!

GaryT
On 12/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, maybeling said:

I think we need to do another KC barrel pick so we can get the exact time it was dumped, and then make a custom label for the hours (we'll have to do some "At LEAST . . ." on there without knowing the time of day the barrel was filled).  I think that would be cool (ok, more geeky) as hell :lol: 

• I like it 1

flahute
3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

True!

That's a marketing rendering and not necessarily an accurate depiction of what's planned. Still, it's way better than those pyramids.

gurgalunas
On 12/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, maybeling said:

I think there is some craft stuff out there that could be accurately be labeled in hours.  

CUfan99
On 12/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, wadewood said:

They aren't giving the stuff away.  They know what they can sell it for and what they will make in profit after all the overhead of bottling and marketing that goes into.  If an NDP approaches a large KY distillery with 11.5 year old bourbon and offers to pay more than what they could profit on it themselves, hell yes they sell it.  Of course now the NDP has overpaid for whiskey that now they have to in turn mark up for a profit and that's how you get $100+ 11.5 year old bourbon.  In normal times folks would see this for what it is, but these days if you say something is 'limited' in bourbon all common sense goes out the window.

In other words I’ll be a tater of epic proportion when I sacrifice having the brakes repaired on my wife’s car to get this bottle when I have bottles of ECBP in the bunker I bought for $60 that’s older and better?

• I like it 2

Obeezy1Kaneezy
2 hours ago, wadewood said:

Nothing says KY Bourbon better than pyramids.  

It seriously is still blowing my mind that they think it’s a good look.  I have my doubts that the city of Bardstown will let that rendition go through.  

Jim’s however...looks like it’s in the wheelhouse if how you should do it.  

Richnimrod

I'll be a little contrarian here...

I don't hate the look of the rendering.    Is it rather too 'modern' for my tastes?  Yes.     Could this design be modified, or even scrapped entirely, before any dirt is turned?  Absolutely.

So, for now, I say; "let's wait to judge any of this", though the wait for judging the sourced CoK will apparently be brief, and that's a good thing.

Does anybody know which States will get bottles?

Ruffin51

Brokered bottles from Barton. Hitting Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Mass, Maryland/DC, California, Colorado and some control states. Info c/o Fred Minnick

• I like it 1