What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

BT on the rocks.

Me too Tom! What a coincidence. ^_^ I finished off a bottle of BT last night, so I had to open another today. What can I say? I know everyones tastes and preferences differ, but IMHO, BT has been really knocking it out of the park lately. 

Biba! Joe

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Me too Tom! What a coincidence. ^_^ I finished off a bottle of BT last night, so I had to open another today. What can I say? I know everyones tastes and preferences differ, but IMHO, BT has been really knocking it out of the park lately. 

Biba! Joe

I found that my sweet spot falls in the 94 to 115 proof range. Tonight the sweetness of BT was calling my name. I’ve been nursing a jug I got at the DC Costco over a year ago. But that’s only because I’ve got quite a few bottles open and I call it a night after 1 pour. Yep I’m a lightweight. :)

2 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I found that my sweet spot falls in the 94 to 115 proof range. Tonight the sweetness of BT was calling my name. I’ve been nursing a jug I got at the DC Costco over a year ago. But that’s only because I’ve got quite a few bottles open and I call it a night after 1 pour. Yep I’m a lightweight. :)

Birds of a feather...... :P  Cheers to ya' brother!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

It good. 

Sweet for Booker’s. 

28B4CDC8-4D43-40A3-A98E-71E1224DC502.jpeg

I had some Booker’s backyard BBQ earlier and I thought it was very sweet. Is this in SC?

I found that my sweet spot falls in the 94 to 115 proof range. Tonight the sweetness of BT was calling my name. I’ve been nursing a jug I got at the DC Costco over a year ago. But that’s only because I’ve got quite a few bottles open and I call it a night after 1 pour. Yep I’m a lightweight. [emoji4]

Interesting that you said sweet. I think all the BT have nice fruity note but BT to me is a lot drier than say ER.

15 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Interesting that you said sweet. I think all the BT have nice fruity note but BT to me is a lot drier than say ER.

Maybe it was the trailmix I was munching on while drinking. ;)

It is official.  I have no willpower.  I came across a Michter’s 10 at $99, and picked it up.  That is obviously a decent price, such as it is, for M10.

Anyway, I’ve been a longtime skeptic about M10, being that I have many similarly aged bourbons, like HMcK 10, ER10, EC12, W12, etc., which I picked up for much lower prices.

Well, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I am pretty impressed by the M10.  It tastes older than 10 years—I would say at least 12 years old.  If you are wary of oak, this may not be for you.  A lot of cherry and black cherry on the nose, as well as on the palate.  It has some shades of W12 with the cherry.  It gives me some elements of what my Vintage 17 bottles have.  I get some well-aged Wild Turkey vibes from the M10.  Maybe I am talking out of my arse, but this is my story, and I’m sticking to it.  Need to give it some airtime, and revisit sometime soon.

Being that I think it must be over 10 years old, I’ll temper my ‘overpriced’ comments.  Sure, it would be nice if this were cheaper, but IMHO, it is pretty darn good.

CBC81FB4-A1DC-41DA-9AD1-3AECB8364788.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 2

What did you guys call it Wild Weller? It’s pretty good. Using to make a batch of bourbon balls, first time hope they come out right.

IMG_5887.thumb.JPG.962b3a287fcbb05ef8f86df0b189cca0.JPG

I believe FacePlant did call it Wild Weller when he mixed up a glass of that blend. It is very good, and fairly similar in taste profile to Grandpa Weller’s 4 Grain blend.

So I was gifted this by my sister.  I found it not in my favorite profile but quite enjoyable.  

60D61320-F4FD-4F16-8D39-786E22620052.jpeg

13 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

It is official.  I have no willpower.  I came across a Michter’s 10 at $99, and picked it up.  That is obviously a decent price, such as it is, for M10.

Anyway, I’ve been a longtime skeptic about M10, being that I have many similarly aged bourbons, like HMcK 10, ER10, EC12, W12, etc., which I picked up for much lower prices.

Well, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I am pretty impressed by the M10.  It tastes older than 10 years—I would say at least 12 years old.  If you are wary of oak, this may not be for you.  A lot of cherry and black cherry on the nose, as well as on the palate.  It has some shades of W12 with the cherry.  It gives me some elements of what my Vintage 17 bottles have.  I get some well-aged Wild Turkey vibes from the M10.  Maybe I am talking out of my arse, but this is my story, and I’m sticking to it.  Need to give it some airtime, and revisit sometime soon.

Being that I think it must be over 10 years old, I’ll temper my ‘overpriced’ comments.  Sure, it would be nice if this were cheaper, but IMHO, it is pretty darn good.

CBC81FB4-A1DC-41DA-9AD1-3AECB8364788.jpeg

Yeah I had a bottle of this recently. I think I paid $110 or $120, which I was a little apprehensive doing. I liked it quite a bit, and I think it doesn't make much sense to compare to the usual suspects at at 10 years (ER, Henry McKenna, etc). It certainly tasted like it was older than 10, and I would not be surprised if it had some portion of 15-20 year old in it, as I got a lot of dry oak and leather that I tend to find in 15+ year bourbons. I sure would like to pay a bit less for it (as with most things in life), but I didn't regret the purchase in the slightest.

I scored a CEHT Four Grain at the same time and haven't quite finished that off yet, but the M10 went down a couple months ago. Don't get me wrong, the Four Grain is great, but the M10 kept drawing me back in.

I believe FacePlant did call it Wild Weller when he mixed up a glass of that blend. It is very good, and fairly similar in taste profile to Grandpa Weller’s 4 Grain blend.

Thanks to FacePlant, I enjoyed it.
  • I like it 2

36 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah I had a bottle of this recently. I think I paid $110 or $120, which I was a little apprehensive doing. I liked it quite a bit, and I think it doesn't make much sense to compare to the usual suspects at at 10 years (ER, Henry McKenna, etc). It certainly tasted like it was older than 10, and I would not be surprised if it had some portion of 15-20 year old in it, as I got a lot of dry oak and leather that I tend to find in 15+ year bourbons. I sure would like to pay a bit less for it (as with most things in life), but I didn't regret the purchase in the slightest.

I scored a CEHT Four Grain at the same time and haven't quite finished that off yet, but the M10 went down a couple months ago. Don't get me wrong, the Four Grain is great, but the M10 kept drawing me back in.

It's single barrel so unless the whole bottle is 15+ years (in which case it would be 300$) this isn't likely.

• I like it 1

I haven't bought this bottle since they started lowering the age under 10 years. The 2010 is tasting great and considering I bought the bottle for $15 I feel guilty of theft.

IMG_20181223_135027.jpg

• I like it 1

HNit got me in the mood. Mixing Wild Wellers tonight with great results. I'm doing 70/30 with WSR first. BOOM, homeruns. Haven't had any in a month or more. Thanks for the reminder.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

• I like it 3

Enjoying a couple of nice pours of Woodford Reserve while watching the puppies chewing chew sticks and relaxing before a hectic Christmas Eve with the family.  I love this time of year for its meaning, for family,  for the opportunity for some down time, and for a little extra bourbon enjoyment.

OGD86 1988. Cola and shiso and cherry on the nose and vanilla on the palate. Very nice whiskey although 86pf is well below what I usually drink so takes some effort not to drink too fast. 

0E6E842D-F4D4-4180-AFBC-3688F45D176E.jpeg

Edited by Saul_cooperstein
  • I like it 2

8 hours ago, jshleffar said:

It's single barrel so unless the whole bottle is 15+ years (in which case it would be 300$) this isn't likely.

Ah yeah well that's a pretty dumb assumption on my part then. I don't know why I thought it was a blend. In any case, it tastes significantly older than 10 years, so it's (the one I had) either a great barrel or probably quite a bit older than the 10 year age statement. You would think at the price point that, considering the price and target market for this, they could list the actual age.

Drinking Charter 101 tonight with my mother-in-law. It’s cola-sweet finish is hitting the spot - not complex, but I don’t always crave complex.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.