What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

The weather folks are predicting 8-12" of snow in STL over the next 2 days. Conveniently I had already taken off work. I got the ingredients for chili, plenty of fire wood, a few movies, and now a pour of OWA

Yeah we are just getting started.  Daughter barely made it home in the wife's Mustang. I was in my way to get her in the Jeep when she got over the last hill and into the subdivision. 

I think the bunker might take a beating this weekend.

20190111_154133.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Yeah we are just getting started.  Daughter barely made it home in the wife's Mustang. I was in my way to get her in the Jeep when she got over the last hill and into the subdivision. 

I think the bunker might take a beating this weekend.

20190111_154133.jpg

If anyone deserves a bunker beatdown, it's the fellow that snapped that picture!!!

3 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

If anyone deserves a bunker beatdown, it's the fellow that snapped that picture!!!

It's still coming.  Starting with some beer instead.

20190111_180829-980x2016.jpg

20190111_180537-784x1613.jpg

20190111_180832-784x1613.jpg

20190111_180941-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 4

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The brew looks nice. No envy here, on the snow...

I don't usually drink beer during the winter months, yet I visited the LS yesterday & came away with some beer for the cellar. Since I live below sea level, the cellar is a closet. We all make do, somehow...

Started with boiled shrimp and felt veterany, so went with the Colonel...
colt.thumb.jpg.c3761cdc55279ba7908b23c3b1f347d5.jpg

“Veterany”? Well I guess any reason will do.
  • I like it 2

Started with John J. Bowman. Now kind of getting into this Stagg Jr. In between was a healthy Bookers pour I found lacking. Was wishing I’d poured a bit less tonight but in fairness I’ve really enjoyed this bottle on other nights. Funny how that works. Maybe what I had for dinner (hot wings) made the difference?

No snow here in NJ, but it is dang cold. Warming up with an old favorite.  Yah, V17 is still damn good.  I thought this would go into the “empty” thread, but she still has a little life. Went with a GTS nightcap. 

CA603D04-27DC-4FD2-B221-E43DB7F1E717.jpeg

• I like it 8

This evening, I’m having my first pour in over a week. Long story, nothing too serious. Anyway, I’m having a couple of nice pours of a ps BT. I know this is tasting pretty good partly because I haven’t had anything in a while. Still, I gotta say this is one pretty darned good pick. As Geoffrey Holder used to say in the 7UP commercials many, many years ago, “Mahvelous. Absolutely mahvelous.”  :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

We call those type of measurements a dusting around here! At those amounts, you end up debating if it is worth getting the snowblower out to handle the driveway or if it is easier to shovel it. Other than being freaking cold, we have been lucky so far this winter. I think our luck will change next week. Good thing we all have more bourbon than snow!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, elmossle said:

We call those type of measurements a dusting around here! At those amounts, you end up debating if it is worth getting the snowblower out to handle the driveway or if it is easier to shovel it. Other than being freaking cold, we have been lucky so far this winter. I think our luck will change next week. Good thing we all have more bourbon than snow!

Yeah I'm sure you get a lot more but this might set a 24 hour record here. I haven't seen this much at once since 1982. Over 8" now and climbing. Might hit as high as 16" by the time its done.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

It was Boone County 12 yr tonight.  It wasn't overly oaked tonight, tasted pretty damn good.

Lone Whisker?????   ☺️

Settling in on a good ol Midwestern snow storm with a nice pour of MMCS 46. A good way to spend the afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Settling in on a good ol Midwestern snow storm with a nice pour of MMCS 46. A good way to spend the afternoon. 

Phil! Haven't seen you here in a while. Always good to hear from you.

Snow is pretty rare here but when it does happen it's pretty special to sit inside all snug with a bourbon while watching the snow fall. And appropriate to do so with a wheater.

17 hours ago, elmossle said:

On anything less than 6 inches, I just wait two days, and it disappears by its own self.   On anything more, I encourage the neighborhood kids to build a snow fort - next door.

Tonight, after sort of being off bourbon for a day or two (IIRC, anyway - maybe not), I finally finished my RY basic I bought for VBT 674.  Now, it is back to the craft bourbons I "resolved" to finish off before I buy more stuff.  I can't believe I've been good for eight days (counting from when I made my resolutions following an impulse buy of 4 new things I did not need).  With this snow, I'll be "good" for at least three more days.  The New Year is going well so far.

EDIT - Just saw JCw's post.  JCw, WT 101 is my fishing bourbon.  Next week, it will accompany me on a pontoon boat if the weather breaks 40F.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Some high proof, 14 year, single barrel Beam.

Yes please. This seems way more balanced and less oaky than my last 10yr KC pick. It’s hitting the spot tonight.

IMG_6067.JPG

• I like it 2

In preparation for the big snow today I made some venison stew in the crockpot. First time trying Bambi. The SAOS (from the NC ABC) and baguette I got from Wegman's are enjoyable. Bambi not so much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.