What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, flahute said:

I like these boots. But rubber boots in Louisiana? Aren't they freakin' hot?

Yea, a little.

I'm having another pour of OFBB 2010, it was so good the other night I thought I would have some more, and its just as good. 

D07F4E6A-9647-4EF8-91F9-03CF49B501C5.thumb.jpeg.e429c1c41e5bbbb1c16baab16664b43c.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, lcpfratn said:

Decided to have a small pour of WT101 8yr that was decanted into a Mason jar from a 70s era WT decanter. I’m aware of the lead ceramic glaze leaching concerns, but decided to risk it to taste some whiskey that’s been around almost as long as I have.

Anyway, it was pretty darn good stuff. Lots of vanilla on the nose with dark chocolate, dark cherry and just the right amount of oak on the palate.

IMG_0050.jpg

@Icpfratn, just a word of caution: you might want to transfer that bourbon out of the Mason jar into an empty bottle ASAP. I've seen the metal from the Mason jar lid react with the alcohol and turn it a greenish color with a very metallic/"tinny" taste. It would be a shame for that 70's era WT to be ruined at this point!

• I like it 6

@Icpfratn, just a word of caution: you might want to transfer that bourbon out of the Mason jar into an empty bottle ASAP. I've seen the metal from the Mason jar lid react with the alcohol and turn it a greenish color with a very metallic/"tinny" taste. It would be a shame for that 70's era WT to be ruined at this point!

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on doing it anyway, but thought it was a bit humorous that the guy that I bought the decanters from had put the bourbon in a mason jar when one of the corks broke. Reminded me of mason jars full of different stuff that was available in the rural areas of my youth.
  • I like it 2

Some WT101 in my newly acquired thrift store MM rocks glass while watching Incredibles 2 with my toddlers. Cheers to the Dads on a budget.

9E8983AC-2E07-4A7A-A1BE-1C517B4127F8.jpeg

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 7

I did a 1-1 mix of BT and SJR back on may 1 for a 111 proof mashbill 1. I sure do like this, and it's even better sippin' on while watching the Blue Note continue to roll. 

20190219_211037.jpg

• I like it 1

Some WT101 in my newly acquired thrift store MM rocks glass while watching Incredibles 2 with my toddlers. Cheers to the Dads on a budget.
9E8983AC-2E07-4A7A-A1BE-1C517B4127F8.thumb.jpeg.e6e6403a908ab1a98172fcd72bacd3cb.jpeg

Definitely watched the same with the kiddo while drinking the same.
  • I like it 3

I did a 1-1 mix of BT and SJR back on may 1 for a 111 proof mashbill 1. I sure do like this, and it's even better sippin' on while watching the Blue Note continue to roll. 
20190219_211037.thumb.jpg.2c8dc1f9735bc7d77733ae2a368447bd.jpg

I need to do this mix, also need to use the duct tape label.

40 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I need to do this mix, also need to use the duct tape label.

I admit, Nit, I'm  pretty fancy (in regards to the duct tape)! If we St Louisans had easy accessibility to ER10 I would've used it in lieu of BT, but alas BT it was. I'm a big fan of this mix. I see some on here say EHT SiB (and to a lesser extent EHT SmB) is over priced, but the few bottles I've had were in my wheelhouse. When it comes to BT I'm a mashbill 1 fan. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

Cracked the 2018 EH Taylor BP yesterday, revisiting the stuff at the moment, another win to me. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on doing it anyway, but thought it was a bit humorous that the guy that I bought the decanters from had put the bourbon in a mason jar when one of the corks broke. Reminded me of mason jars full of different stuff that was available in the rural areas of my youth.

Hehehe, I sure know what you mean, @Icpfratn! I'm originally from East TN. The Mason jar thing was a big industry in the rural areas when I was growing up too, especially in places like Cocke Co. 

• I like it 1

I’ve been on my (semi) good behavior for the last few days. Nothing serious, just some routine tests to keep my new doctor happy. <_< Phase 3 is now out of the way. A slow climb up the Weller ladder is planned this evening. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

About 2 months ago,  I bought some Larceny online for $14.99 plus free shipping. A solid, nondescript wheater from HH. I frequently get butterscotch from some MM and Weller wheater bourbons, not this. 

Spent two hours in the dentist chair getting a temporary crown put on a back molar. Decided to self treat with some ECSB tonight. 

• I like it 1

Right now, Big Bottom Rhone Finished. Earlier it was a small nip of Belle Meade Sherry Finished cask strength, and some Fighting Cock 6yr age stated.

Pulled this out of the bunker tonight.  Kind of hot at first.  Added to bit of H2O and it opened up alot = much better.  Hoping this bottle calms down over time.  Cheers

IMG_0746.jpg

• I like it 2

Started with a healthy pour of WT 101. Now sipping on 4RSiB. Thinking I may finish the evening with some Stagg Jr. Batch 9

• I like it 1

Big renovation going on at casa Mako right now. Bunker is kinda packed up and I’m going through samples. 

This Russell’s from M is straight up cherry cordials on the nose. I dig it. 

0BF5EAFB-922B-41E3-AE42-9646940CBD0A.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 2/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, Phil T said:

About 2 months ago,  I bought some Larceny online for $14.99 plus free shipping. A solid, nondescript wheater from HH. I frequently get butterscotch from some MM and Weller wheater bourbons, not this. 

I just had a pour tonight.  I got a strong peanuty taste - maybe peanut brittle, but not so sweet....

It has been a few days off from bourbon as our oldest had the stomach bug at the end of last week and it made its way to Mom and Dad at the beginning of this week. So for my first pour in almost 5 days, I wanted to have something really good. I went with some Old Fitz 9yr BIB and man did it hit the spot. That was followed up with a small night cap pour of a BT Single Barrel. Glad to be back on the horse again. Cheers.

• I like it 2

On 2/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Masset1982 said:

Cracked the 2018 EH Taylor BP yesterday, revisiting the stuff at the moment, another win to me. Cheers! 

Will. 

A place I was at yesterday had an entire row of this, but priced at $200... I was pretty disappointed. I’d probably venture somewhat above $100 for a bottle, but that seemed excessive. 

Enjoy it friend! It’s one I’d really like to try.

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

A place I was at yesterday had an entire row of this, but priced at $200... I was pretty disappointed. I’d probably venture somewhat above $100 for a bottle, but that seemed excessive. 

Enjoy it friend! It’s one I’d really like to try.

I wouldn’t drop 200 bucks for it either, at $100 it’s an instant buy. Hope you’ll find some, cheers!

Will.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.