What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight started with a wonderful pour of ECBP A118. Definitely not the best batch of last year, but still a great offering of the ECBP family. After getting the kids to bed, decided to slow down a bit with some RY10SB. My taste buds must have still been dancing from the ECBP or were fried by them because the RY did not land like it usually does. I'm guessing I will be having another pour tomorrow night after a very busy day for storm prep and spending time with the kids at Mickey and Minnie on Ice. Too bad the bourbon won't be on ice as well!

• I like it 1

WT101, a recent bottling.  This has a different profile, than WT101 from just a couple of years ago. 

It is similar to WTRB 116.8, not surprising.

To me, the Turkey kick of a finish is tamed. It tastes really good, but I have to admit, I was looking for the spice. Without The Turkey Spice on the finish, this one feels like a lower proof.

An excellent example of The Russell's talents. 

Cheers

Last night I opened a bunker bottle of HH BIB 6yr, which was enjoyable.  Today, I picked up a WT 101.  I’ve been drinking both this afternoon, and enjoyed both, but when I set the bottle of Turkey by the HH, I had a WTF moment.  Crimenently, the HH is dark!

So, poured me another HH...

7B24FDA4-DDCE-452A-9C33-F6F37832C495.jpeg

• I like it 4

Enjoying my first pour of Rare Breed 116.8. I am partial towards barrel proofs and the Turkey profile. This one does not disappoint. 

• I like it 2

WT101 new release. It has some of the same flavor notes as the newest 116 proof Rare Breed. Some of the taters out there may be on to something about the newest 101 hehe. 

18 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

It is similar to WTRB 116.8, not surprising.

To me, the Turkey kick of a finish is tamed. It tastes really good, but I have to admit, I was looking for the spice. Without The Turkey Spice on the finish, this one feels like a lower proof.

Agree with you about the lack of the customary spicy finish. It's kinda jarring considering we're talking about Turkey here. Hopefully they are keeping McConaughey out of the kitchen!

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Last night I opened a bunker bottle of HH BIB 6yr, which was enjoyable.  Today, I picked up a WT 101.  I’ve been drinking both this afternoon, and enjoyed both, but when I set the bottle of Turkey by the HH, I had a WTF moment.  Crimenently, the HH is dark!

So, poured me another HH...

7B24FDA4-DDCE-452A-9C33-F6F37832C495.jpeg

WOW!     ...Just Wow!    You ain't akiddin', Joe. 

That is some VERY DARK Bourbon there.     Ya' wouldn't be yankin' our chain here with a 'refill' from a bottle of ECBP wouldja?

Now I'm gonna hafta go do a color-comparison between these two.

I'm back.    In my look-see, the WT 101 is rather darker than the HH 6-yr. 

Maybe your photo is foolin' us with a unique angle, or some other trick of the lighting.     Other than that, I have no idea why it would look SO DARK; but it sure as hell does!

8 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

That is some VERY DARK Bourbon there.     Ya' wouldn't be yankin' our chain here with a 'refill' from a bottle of ECBP wouldja?

Maybe your photo is foolin' us with a unique angle, or some other trick of the lighting.     Other than that, I have no idea why it would look SO DARK; but it sure as hell does!

No trickeration here.  It just is insanely darkly colored.  

Watching some Preds hockey and enjoying some Grandpa Wellers .. thanks lcpfrtn for the samples!  Followed by some OWA PS. Not too terribly different. 

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

No trickeration here.  It just is insanely darkly colored.  

The key word from Joe's original post was "bunker" bottle. I wonder how old that bottle is? If it was purchased some time ago, it may have older bourbon in it.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, flahute said:

The key word from Joe's original post was "bunker" bottle. I wonder how old that bottle is? If it was purchased some time ago, it may have older bourbon in it.

Right, bro.  I was thinking the same thing.    I need pull out a newly purchased bottle from this Fall to compare.  

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Right, bro.  I was thinking the same thing.    I need pull out a newly purchased bottle from this Fall to compare.  

Seeing how dark that is really ups the ante on what an insane value it is. It's no surprise it came to an end. HH couldn't justify bottling bourbon of that age and quality for the meager price they asked of it.

By that measure however, WT101 really represents as one of the better values now.

Getting to this bottle, very nice, very drinkable at the proof, nice color.
8mHd4k1.jpg
iEzuWYP.jpg
Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 1

Just opened a Willett 4y/o Rye my wife got me in November. Way better than the 3 year which was not good and very hot. This is a nice young rye.

So I have this recent batch of Weller Antique that frankly does not taste very good. It reminds me of my very first ever OWA purchase about 6 years ago or so which was hot and cinnamon forward with a bit of wet cardboard. It turned me off to OWA for awhile and when I went back in I was surprised to find out how good it really is when done right.

I've been struggling with this new bottle but now I have a cold and nothing tastes quite right which of course means that this Weller Antique actually tastes pretty good.

As a result, I'm doing everything in my power to finish it while I still have this cold.

• I like it 3

^^ I have a love-hate relationship with OWA.  Sometimes it tastes like nothing more than WSR with a candied red hot dropped in the bottle.  And sometimes it tastes like the nice wheater that it should be.  Also I've finally tasted some of the stellar OWA private select single barrels that many on this site have raved about for years and one of the ones I had truly gave some fall LE's a run for their money with one of the best mouthfeels I've ever experienced. OWA can be scizophrenic to me.  Not sure if it's me or them.

• I like it 1

Dug through the cabinet last night and pulled out a Green's OBSV pick that I got in June 2014 (and still 3/4 full, but hadn't poured in years).  Delightful reminder of the 'good old days' of nearly 10 yr old, barrel proof goodness for under $60.  A lot of dusty cocoa notes on this one.

• I like it 1

In Louisville to see Something Rotten and looking at the bourbon list I noted that they had Old Charter 8 y.o. listed, at $7 a pour.  Asked if they indeed still had it, and asked them to verify that it had the 8 y.o. label.  Answer was yes to both.  My response was to, "Give me a double, neat."  I know it's not high proof but the amount of flavor was awesome.

My buddy and I don’t care much about the results of these football games since our beloved Bears went down. But it gives us an excuse to day drink without penalty from the significant others. We started with ER10 and now HMBiB10. Interesting contrast of two different single barrel 10 year olds from two different houses. Eyeballing the open bottles I think we are going with some Rare Breed next.

• I like it 2

A discussion I had earlier today convinced me of this as my Sunday night pour. The "pro tips" thread also made me understand why the top of my bar looks like that.

20190120_202713-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

In Louisville to see Something Rotten and looking at the bourbon list I noted that they had Old Charter 8 y.o. listed, at $7 a pour.  Asked if they indeed still had it, and asked them to verify that it had the 8 y.o. label.  Answer was yes to both.  My response was to, "Give me a double, neat."  I know it's not high proof but the amount of flavor was awesome.

OC10 was one of my favorites early in my bourbon journey.

• I like it 1

Today's samplings were as follows: GTS after finishing snowplowing the driveway and celebrating the Blackhawks big win over the Capitals. Then it was off to ECBP A118 to help ease the pain of the Saints losing and killing my parlay. The night cap was a Blanton's Loch & K(e)y Single Barrel that is absolutely amazing and possible the best bottle of Blanton's I have ever had. A great way to end the weekend and start a new week of work!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.