What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Inspired by Joe's recent post about Maker's Mark, I decided to get into a bottle I've had for a year or so and darned if it isn't hitting the spot tonight. I still think it's too young but tonight it's tasting really good. I'm going to follow with MMCS which I also often struggle with.

I guess it’s wheater Wednesday. OWA, RYSB 10yr and MM PS.

Been a little disappointed before with the MM part it’s working great tonight.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Nursing this bottle-- as it surfaces so infrequently out there…

IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.c5db6ef90f55e5104dde0062ca19e0cb.jpg

I didn't know it was still being produced.  I used to pass on it all the time since I could get EC12 cheaper,  although admittedly not a single barrel.

• I like it 1

Belle Meade Straight Bourbon. Bought one last year that was heavier in body with more rye notes. This one is lighter all round but very good still, well vatted. It doesn't really taste its 6-8 years (blend of 4 barrels per batch), but has a good flavour. 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I didn't know it was still being produced.  I used to pass on it all the time since I could get EC12 cheaper,  although admittedly not a single barrel.

It is not longer offered, but I run across it on the rare (very) occasion. This particular barrel/bottle is a home run.

8 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It is not longer offered, but I run across it on the rare (very) occasion. This particular barrel/bottle is a home run.

What is the date on that one, it looks like a 16 to my eyes, I had thought it was already out by then, the last one I bought was a 2012.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

What is the date on that one, it looks like a 16 to my eyes, I had thought it was already out by then, the last one I bought was a 2012.

I zoomed in on my PC monitor and pretty sure its a 15.  That's about the last time I saw one on the shelf.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

2015. I'm pretty sure that I bought this bottle in 2017-- and have seen stragglers on shelves as recently as mid-2018.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.40.25 AM.png

• I like it 1

4CA95AD7-FEB1-44DC-A09E-53C59B8F0AB1.thumb.jpeg.753913195c099f470a8df04d43f4d38e.jpeg

Treating myself tonight, recently tried the ‘08, same league except this one a little hotter than the 2008 which is pretty mellow regarding the proof. Anyway it’s good stuff. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 4

Today was rough with some family issues and my cat is having medical problems. So  I’m breaking out some of the nicer stuff.

DBB9F1A8-B838-4795-AA7D-388F660328C4.jpeg

• I like it 7

Today was rough with some family issues and my cat is having medical problems. So  I’m breaking out some of the nicer stuff.
DBB9F1A8-B838-4795-AA7D-388F660328C4.thumb.jpeg.d1861bc821327ba257611f888a719692.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your rough day. Hope your cat is doing better. Dog person myself but we’ve had cats and I know how close the family can get. Looks like a great “comfort food” for you.

Just now, BMartin42 said:

Sorry to hear about your rough day. Hope your cat is doing better. Dog person myself but we’ve had cats and I know how close the family can get. Looks like a great “comfort food” for you.

Thank you. This stuff is delicious.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

42 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

DBB9F1A8-B838-4795-AA7D-388F660328C4.jpeg

I am sorry to hear about your cat.  Otis the Whiner sends his regards.  He is 15 3/4.  He is also the sole survivor of the three siblings we picked up at a rescue league when they were four months or so old.  We do miss Alden the Perfect Cat and Oren the Terror Cat, but we have Otis.  Here's hoping the problems with your family member get resolved.  You have motivated me.  We had really weak Irish coffees for dessert tonight, and I drank nothing yesterday - WT MK Decades off the top shelf in a few minutes.  Thanks.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
took the miss-typed "4" out of the middle of "weak"
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

So sorry to hear about your issues, mal00768.   Hope that puddy's health and whatever other problems the family is experiencing are resolved in short and satisfactory order.   Hang in there.

Finished a bottle of ECBP A118 this evening. After that, it was time to move on to the second to last pour of some FRPS OESK that I really need to buy reinforcements of because it has gotten better the longer it has been open. Tonight's night cap happened to be some HH6yrBIB. This one is going to make me cry when I get to the bottom of my last bottle. I wish I had bunkered more and mad it took me so long to catch on the bargain steal of the century from Heaven Hill.

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

I purchased a bottle a long time ago and wasn't impressed. Like you, I stocked up on EC12 3 and 4 years ago before it went NAS. The state of NC would put 750ml and 1.75ml on sale each month on a rotating basis. I would walk out of the ABC Store laughing getting a 750ml for $25 with tax 2 or 3 times a month. Most of the time I could get the handle for around $50-$55. I felt like I was stealing! I might need to go digging for one soon.

Last night was a WSR night. When I first opened the bottle I thought that it was just okay(as to be expected from a $17 bottle), but now that the bottle has been open for about 8 months and is half gone it has opened up and gotten better. I just need more of it to show up in my area so that I can get a couple of bottles.  

Did a Knob Creek pick with my local back in the late summer and it finally arrived. It's a 14yr old that is just shy of being 15 and whoo boy is this good. With a few drops added it's pure ambrosia.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.