What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Yeah....He's slipping. I don't know him anymore. 

Followed it w/ Saffell (and it was better). 

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

There newer pick is pretty good stuff. Did you get the one from there competition down the road with the Scooby Doo sticker on it?

Yes. Everyone wants that bottle, but the juice inside isn’t as good. I helped pick that barrel also. 

Yes. Everyone wants that bottle, but the juice inside isn’t as good. I helped pick that barrel also. 

Ha not surprised, that recent pick from Lake Street was good, should’ve bought multiples.
  • I like it 1

23 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Just like stickers make cars faster they make bourbon taste better :D

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Barreled on my birthday. Closest I’ll get to birthday bourbon!

Happy Birthday! 

I don’t drink much Scotch, but bought a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength simply because it was bottled on my birthday. 

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Happy Birthday! 

I don’t drink much Scotch, but bought a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength simply because it was bottled on my birthday. 

One of my absolute favorite bottles.

35 minutes ago, Kane said:

Finally getting to try GTS 2018. Life is good.

I got to try 18 GTS.  While it is very good whiskey it was very un-Stagg-like to me.  Another SBr described it as barrel strength Eagle Rare which I thought was pretty accurate.  It lacked some of that heavier burnt brown sugar notes that Stagg tends to have.

57 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I got to try 18 GTS.  While it is very good whiskey it was very un-Stagg-like to me.  Another SBr described it as barrel strength Eagle Rare which I thought was pretty accurate.  It lacked some of that heavier burnt brown sugar notes that Stagg tends to have.

Having a second pour, and I completely agree. No brown sugar to be found, and very heavy on cherries which I to associate with ER.

Sipping some Rendezvous Rye from High West.   It's a recent batch, which I understand contains some of their own distillate.    I wish I had an old bottle for a comparo with the Barton/MGP version,  but judged  on its own merits, this is a fine, classic-rye pour.   

Now that bottle pic just up yonder inspires me to make my next one tonight some Rare Breed.   It just replaced a bottle of Kentucky Spirit,  and I think it's better.   

Edited by Jazzhead

28 minutes ago, markandrex said:

ECBP kind of evening!7123945B-DE44-4BCE-8D4A-A4629AFDCDAC.thumb.jpeg.7881851eb498e9516f4f38eba7cbc3e7.jpeg

What is that 'glass'?    It looks like a double walled affair.   Is it?

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

What is that 'glass'?    It looks like a double walled affair.   Is it?

Yes they are.  The wife bought me four a few  years back for Christmas.

I believe they are from norlanglass.com

From their website:

Features at a Glance

Hybrid Design

The perfect synthesis of a tumbler form, with an exceptionally improved nosing glass performance. 

Aesthetics

A modern, lightweight design featuring double-walled glass, combining a faceted base with a curved inner bowl. 

Social Ergonomics

Specifically designed to allow you to inhale and drink the spirit without tilting your head back too deeply.

Fluid Dynamics

Aerates better than any other glass, reducing ethanol intensity, requiring less water dilution for richer aromas. 

Scent Delivery

Focuses and diffuses the aromatics to the nose and mouth, revealing hidden flavors. 

Expert Involvement

Meticulously refined with master distiller Jim McEwan over the course of a four day workshop.

Edited by markandrex

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

One of my absolute favorite bottles.

Good to know. I have a college buddy who really likes Laphroig. Will save it for the next time we get together which, sadly, is rare nowadays 

Norman glasses with some fancy crystals. I like these but I’m too cheap and clumsy to buy over glencarin glasses.

12 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Followed it w/ Saffell (and it was better). 

Well damn, I had planned on passing on this, but with Mako’s stamp of approval I’m going to have to take the plunge.

Just killed a Virgin 101, and now sipping on some MMCS.  Not being a big wheater fan I find the MMCS surprising tantalizing to my tongue.

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

From their website:

Features at a Glance

Hybrid Design

The perfect synthesis of a tumbler form, with an exceptionally improved nosing glass performance. 

Aesthetics

A modern, lightweight design featuring double-walled glass, combining a faceted base with a curved inner bowl. 

Social Ergonomics

Specifically designed to allow you to inhale and drink the spirit without tilting your head back too deeply.

Fluid Dynamics

Aerates better than any other glass, reducing ethanol intensity, requiring less water dilution for richer aromas. 

Scent Delivery

Focuses and diffuses the aromatics to the nose and mouth, revealing hidden flavors. 

Expert Involvement

Meticulously refined with master distiller Jim McEwan over the course of a four day workshop.

They sold me on the Social Ergonomics pitch. Deep neck tilts gets looks from the wife as bad as trips to the kitchen. 

Decided to do a little blind SBS last evening.  ECBP Batch 12 (136 proof) along with PHC 11 year.  Both excellent and similar, but the PHC was convincingly the better bourbon to me—more refined, better flavor.

1C035A31-C4C8-4DA9-8969-EDE3F3C3097C.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.