What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46599624264_211369ba92_c.jpg

32380824697_539acee978_c.jpg

Really enjoying this one.  Rich with a nice spice finish.  I might have to get another bottle since they're on sale.

• I like it 3

Mako, I'm toasting you and your family's health with regular WT 101 (because that's what I have).  It might even be one of those batches with more older barrels.

Here's to everyone home soon.

A huge improvement over the standard CC release... yet lots of trickery involved in an attempt to mask the youth. 

C39DF9BA-1BD6-4617-BC9B-9CCE7A8FB726.thumb.jpeg.23fab4af31b387824657a729dc549faf.jpeg

• I like it 1

I've embarked on my Contradiction project,  trying to salvage an undrinkable bottle of wheated Smooth Ambler Big Level by mixing it with a  rye mashbill  bourbon.    First up is half Big Level and half Old Forester 1897 Bonded.   Not bad - the offensive play-doh note is masked and it reminds me a bit of Evan Williams.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yet another long week. <_<  After supper, it will be a pour (or two) of my 2019 Weller Blend.  After that......? 

Biba! Joe

Joe, I’ve been wondering. Are you still a buyer of W107 at $50 retail?

I’m officially on vacation and don’t go back till the 18th. Kicking it off with a bang.
IMG_2427.jpg

• I like it 5

First pour of FR 130th. Certainly good whiskey. First impression is better than 14/16/17. I’ll need more time getting to know this stuff before I could claim it to be better than the 15 or 13 & older

• I like it 1

HMcK10, a recent bottling.  Always enjoyable. Regrettably, it has jumped in price quite a bit recently, in my area.  So I may have to just enjoy the bottles I have. 

Cheers

Haven’t seen much of this left around lately.   Decent stuff, but nothing to get super excited about.

CB457745-A8E3-4889-BDAF-9A2DDA47B280.jpeg

Next up:  ECBP 139.4 proof. Better get out the Big Boy Bourbon Pants for this one.  Haha. 

Oak, caramel and stone fruits, Oh my.  

Cheers

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Next up:  ECBP 139.4 proof. Better get out the Big Boy Bourbon Pants for this one.  Haha. 

Oak, caramel and stone fruits, Oh my.  

Cheers

Huh, what a great idea.  One of my favorites!   ☺️

ECBPs.jpg

Old pic, need to update . . . . . . . . 

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

15 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I've embarked on my Contradiction project,  trying to salvage an undrinkable bottle of wheated Smooth Ambler Big Level by mixing it with a  rye mashbill  bourbon.    First up is half Big Level and half Old Forester 1897 Bonded.   Not bad - the offensive play-doh note is masked and it reminds me a bit of Evan Williams.   

Hmmm, sounds like a direction I oughta consider to deal with my bottle of Big Loser...

The last of this OWA is a celebratory pour. We put our house on the market Thursday afternoon and were under contract at 10:30 today. Here's to thinking my shelving of bourbons and ryes helped secure the deal!

20190309_181748.jpg

• I like it 6

Again, loving on some Larceny on this fine Saturday evening.  

ER 10, then RR SiB.  The Russell's is a huge disappointment.  I've read so many great things about RR SiB, but the VA abc pick is pretty awful.  Tons of cinnamon, dirt, bitter taste.  Not just me, either - 3 other people tried it and thought the same.  Maybe they're not sending their best stuff to VA abc.....  Ended on a high note with EC A119.

Quite a day!  Celebrated finishing up my taxes by inviting a few friends over for a basketball trifecta.  While watching the  games we enjoyed W12, a PS OWA, Rebel Yell SB, a PS MMCS and ECBP (B'17 and C'18).   

• I like it 1

Started off with some Rebel Yell SB 10yr. Good stuff but not sure if it’s better than the VSOF 12yr, wish I wasn’t such a cheap skate back in the day and this stuff was like $45 a bottle and available.

Had a great pour of PHC 11, one of my favorites and it will be gone shortly.

Finished by finishing a bottle of JD barrel strength PS from a local bar. Good stuff just wish it had s little more age. Lot of heat on this one which for me requires some water to proof it down.

IMG_6453.JPG

9 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Still deciding if I should finish it.

w3dqozc.jpg

ABSOLUTELY!    It won't improve, and it may deteriorate with such a low fill level.   Drain it!   Enjoy it!   Move on.   ;)

• I like it 1

Last night I was rummaging around and found my bottle of 4R 2014 LE SB, the last one that Rutledge did. It’s open but only a few pours down from full. I realized “damn this has been sitting here open for almost five years now.” So I pulled the cork and noticed a little residue from the cork clinging to the neck. Well that settled it. Instead of a pour this was my bottle for the night. I ended up taking it down about a quarter. It’s on the kill list for the next few months. Damn amazing whiskey.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

ABSOLUTELY!    It won't improve, and it may deteriorate with such a low fill level.   Drain it!   Enjoy it!   Move on.   ;)

It's gone.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Hmmm, sounds like a direction I oughta consider to deal with my bottle of Big Loser...

The Big Level/OF1897 combo was just okay.  Combining a $55 bottle of Big Level and a $50 bottle of OF1897 to get close to a $20 bottle of EW is not an ideal solution.  But I think I've hit on something.   The State Store giveth even as it takes away.   They've got Knob Creek rye on sale for just about 30 bucks,   and whoa- this stuff works some magic!    A 50/50 blend with the Big Level creates a nifty four-grain tipple,   all components at 100 proof,  with the mouthfeel and taste of a premium whiskey.    The caulkiness is replaced with a dry spice;  the instant comp seems to me to be Yellowstone.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.