What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I spent the day in constant motion, cleaning out the garage, tearing down an old shelf system and installing a new wall-mounted system - all to make room for my wife’s new SUV that’s 8” longer than her old one. I’ve earned a liberal pour of CEHT SiB, which i’m enjoying immensely. 

• I like it 6

Decided to start the long weekend off with some 2018 GTS before dinner. Found some new chocolate notes this evening that I did not notice on Christmas Day when I opened the bottle. After that, went with a EC Single Barrel. This is a 12yr store selection that is very good, but no where near ECBP standards. I fear I may have killed the regular EC enjoyment for me with ECBP. EC12 was my go to daily drinker a while back, and since I have accumulated and drank a fair amount of ECBP over the past few years, regular or store pick EC's just seem flat. I know, 1st world problems.?

• I like it 2

With a 52% corn/48% rye mashbill, this delicious liquid could easily out-rye most of the “barely rye” products out there. Given its age, proof and color-- it would make for an interesting SBS with this year's Thomas H Handy.

IMG_1406.thumb.jpg.8a4b9032c5d14c374b0782c61b38ec51.jpg

• I like it 4

My daughter brought this to me for the New Year. It's SE Callahan's bourbon made in Jonesborough, TN. No Lincoln County processing here. It's only been aged for 2 years. Uses locally grown grains. I wasn't expecting much but was very surprised by the depth of flavor and very smooth mouth feel. Good solid flavor with notes of vanilla, oak and baking spices. Finishes with a hint of cherry and some leathery tobacco notes. This was my surprise whiskey of the year and a pleasant one at that. This distiller may be one to keep an eye on in this day and age of small craft bourbons.

IMG_6919.jpg.19eed35b8d5d3b7f1c105c06836c85a3.jpg  IMG_6922.jpg.2e779c3ffcc015c485dedd3b45ba5400.jpg

• I like it 1

Enjoying my Christmas gifts:  Calumet Farms bourbon, Mt. Gay 1703 Rum, and a Pendleton Directors Reserve Canadian.   Not a big fan of Canadian Whiskeys but the Pendleton is very good and the leather label/signed box makes it special.  My regular rum is Mt. Gay XO so the 1703 is a step up. The Calumet Farms 10 Y/O is also quite good although not my favorite profile. 

But the thought put into these make them all special. 

9377E9DD-59EC-4929-A992-7BDD9BD91D2B.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Enjoying my Christmas gifts:  Calumet Farms bourbon, Mt. Gay 1703 Rum, and a Pendleton Directors Reserve Canadian.   Not a big fan of Canadian Whiskeys but the Pendleton is very good and the leather label/signed box makes it special.  My regular rum is Mt. Gay XO so the 1703 is a step up. The Calumet Farms 10 Y/O is also quite good although not my favorite profile. 

But the thought put into these make them all special. 

9377E9DD-59EC-4929-A992-7BDD9BD91D2B.jpeg

These must've made excellent gifts! I don't know about you, but I enjoy it a lot when somebody gives me an unorthodox bottle I'd probably not purchase otherwise.

I agree completely.  It was nice to get something different and all are quite good.  I plan on enjoying these over the NYE holiday. 

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

With a 52% corn/48% rye mashbill, this delicious liquid could easily out-rye most of the “barely rye” products out there. Given its age, proof and color-- it would make for an interesting SBS with this year's Thomas H Handy.

Mind blown. I'm not a Willet fanboy but that looks so interesting with the mash bill.

Edited by dad-proof
oops reading is hard. white oak not white wine.

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

For some reason, I was thinking the WFE label was only used on their NDP offerings.  Is this true?  If so, is this an older bottle or was it purchased recently?

I ran into the bourbon conundrum this evening.  Plenty of options but not sure what to drink.  I had a bottle of ECBP sitting open on the counter but I am not in the mood for barrel proof tonight.  I opted for a 70/30 ECNAS/ECBP blend.  The proof is around 102 and it is sweet and oaky.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

For some reason, I was thinking the WFE label was only used on their NDP offerings.  Is this true?  If so, is this an older bottle or was it purchased recently?

They use the WFE label for both sourced and their own. Eventually it will transition to only their own.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Very recent, just picked it up on Christmas Eve… it's a PS of their own distillate.

• I like it 1

I got into my brothers MM Cask Strength yesterday while celebrating our belated extended family Christmas.  I am a regular Maker’s fan, but I had forgotten how really good this whiskey is at the bumped up proof.  I’m going to have to open one soon.  

• I like it 2

On 12/29/2018 at 12:00 PM, Marekv8 said:

That sounds really interesting. 

So is it more like a sweet rye then?

Edited by 0895

It's been a pretty festive weekend with multiple pours/tastings of 4R 130th, Little Book (batch 2), multiple PS KCSB's, multiple ECBP's, multiple Stagg Jr.'s, multiple PS RRSB's, M10, Garrison Brothers (I don't recall exactly what it was but didn't really care for it) and standard 101.  For good measure, we've also thrown a few rye's into the mix. 

P. S. I really am enjoying the LB#2! 

• I like it 4

Going to be sad when this is gone. This is so perfect to me. The sooner I finish this the sooner I can enjoy other bottles in waiting.

IMG_5979.JPG

• I like it 3

Tried McKenna again. This bottle was better but still not for me. Switched to OWA PS ..everything is as it should be .

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

Charter, the clock dial bottle packs a lot of flavor for 80 proof. The 101 wasn’t bad tonight but it’s clear why they don’t call it “Old” Charter 101. The 101 definitely has the cherry notes and sweetness I pick up in most Buffalo Trace whiskey.

IMG_5980.JPG

• I like it 2

Looks like I’m the only one indulging lately. This one has a lot going on. This is a private selection of the JDSiBBS and is labeled at just over 5 years. Even though there must be a ton of JD barrels aging they apparently don’t keep much after 6 years. Really too bad as this has a lot going on, just wish it was a few years older.

IMG_5986.JPG

• I like it 3

Had a very interesting lineup tonight. Some PHC 10th edition, 2016 GTS and some WP 10yo store pick. 

Going for this now, cheers! Early Happy New Year’s everybody. 

Will

5BAF36FF-E72C-4600-9D04-99782068A7E2.thumb.jpeg.3d16178819548a6a555cc98b7a7c3b9e.jpeg

• I like it 6

Had a very interesting lineup tonight. Some PHC 10th edition, 2016 GTS and some WP 10yo store pick. 
Going for this now, cheers! Early Happy New Year’s everybody. 

Will

5BAF36FF-E72C-4600-9D04-99782068A7E2.thumb.jpeg.3d16178819548a6a555cc98b7a7c3b9e.jpeg

Here’s a guy that doesn’t mess around happy new year.
  • I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.