Old Charter Oak?

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hmmmmm.   NOT aged in "new charred American oak containers"...   Still a KSBW?

I wonder about that.    I wonder as well about the "different" flavor profile HW mentions in the presser.

Not sure I'll ever find out of course, since these sorts of small quantity, limited (highly-sought-after) releases never seem to become available to ordinary folx, and especially at affordable rates of exchange.

Still, it is an interesting "experiment", and I'll be looking forward to the impressions of those who are able to try it.

2 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

It doesn't have to be American oak it just has to be oak

I thought to be K SBW it did....   I guess I got that wrong, sorry for the comment.

I had to look that up as well, my first gut reaction was it had to be American white oak, but it's just "new charred oak."

4 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I doubt I’ll own a bottle unless it falls into my lap, but I’d love to try it.

Indeed

Breaking Bourbon also has a Very Old Charter 12 year and Very Old Charter 27 year on their 2018 release calendar for November. I have not heard anything else about these.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2018 at 9:30 PM, Jazz June said:

Breaking Bourbon also has a Very Old Charter 12 year and Very Old Charter 27 year on their 2018 release calendar for November. I have not heard anything else about these.

I think I found the answer to my own question: http://www.gobourbon.com/old-carter-announces-12-and-27-year-old-american-whiskeys/

Based on the ages and proofs it looks like Breaking Bourbon listed it as Old Charter when it should have been Old Carter. And this is why Sazerac is opposing the registration of the OLD CARTER trademark.

• 7 months later...

Do these actually get released? Supposedly, there have been two releases, but other than review samples I’m not aware of anyone getting it? Anyone?

On 8/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, Jazz June said:

Do these actually get released? Supposedly, there have been two releases, but other than review samples I’m not aware of anyone getting it? Anyone?

Only at very high end shops in very limited quantities. I have seen a couple for sale online for $999. No thanks

So 12yo and 27yo "Straight American whiskey". D(didn't see it noted anywhere but is this "high corn mashbill" aged in used barrels or new? Used might explain why it might have at least some tolerable flavor at 27yo, presuming it does have any flavor other than woody ash. If it is new charred barrels why not call it Bourbon after all? Something doesn't smell right to me.

And they are going for a pretty absurd $180 for the 12yo mystery whiskey and just north of completely stupid for the 27. 

Don't think I would even have to try it first to know what my interest level is. 

• I like it 3

On 8/31/2019 at 2:18 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

So 12yo and 27yo "Straight American whiskey". D(didn't see it noted anywhere but is this "high corn mashbill" aged in used barrels or new? Used might explain why it might have at least some tolerable flavor at 27yo, presuming it does have any flavor other than woody ash. If it is new charred barrels why not call it Bourbon after all? Something doesn't smell right to me.

And they are going for a pretty absurd $180 for the 12yo mystery whiskey and just north of completely stupid for the 27. 

Don't think I would even have to try it first to know what my interest level is. 

Sorry, I think my posts got confused (my bad). I was asking about anyone seeing Old Charter Oak. Thanks for the info nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, Jazz June said:

My store got two bottles of the Mongolian Oak. I missed out unfortunately. No French Oak yet, but I think if it comes at all it will be soon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 8:21 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

My store got two bottles of the Mongolian Oak. I missed out unfortunately. No French Oak yet, but I think if it comes at all it will be soon.

French Oak landed in Chicagoland. Only had a nip so far, but I liked it. Very sweet, but not off-puttingly so.  

22 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

French Oak landed in Chicagoland. Only had a nip so far, but I liked it. Very sweet, but not off-puttingly so.  

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in more detail on this one. 

• 1 month later...

Lucked into French Oak today for$80.  Prob wont open this sucker until a weak moment so no tasting notes.  Almost had a second one , then it would have been a different story... guy said they had 6 and went to the back to get me one while I tried to act cool.  I heard the owner tell him they only got two and they were gone as of an hour ago. Next store  came through!  Looks like Canadian Oak is the next release. 

On 11/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, FasterHorses said:

Lucked into French Oak today for$80.  Prob wont open this sucker until a weak moment so no tasting notes. 

...Friday, then?

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.