Four Roses SiB on Allocation?

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m not sure if I’ve been under a rock and unaware of something common knowledge, but the standard 4R SiB is disappearing from shelves in my market. I’m being told by store owners and managers that it’s allocated now. One store owner was told by his distributor that they would be $100 a bottle within a year. I assume he didn’t mean MSRP but what retail would be due to the shortage. And if the standard SiB is allocated what will become of the barrel strength PS bottles? Can anyone speak peace to me?

I have heard that there will be a price hike on private select barrels. 

The standard 100 proof single being allocated is news to me. 

24 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would say don't listen to anything that store tells you. 

Yeah, the $100 a bottle thing is silly but I don’t think he made it up. He’s being told a shortage exists. I included that as another example of many owners saying similar things at the same time their shelves are empty. 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Yeah, the $100 a bottle thing is silly but I don’t think he made it up. He’s being told a shortage exists. I included that as another example of many owners saying similar things at the same time their shelves are empty. 

Four Roses supply issues do exist, but this sounds like exaggeration to me. We will see I guess.

Just now, Paddy said:

^^^Currently $29.99 at my local TW...

Back...........up............the truck.

• I like it 4

Just now, Wedelstaedt said:

Two Trucks!!

I have considered your request and have approved it. Paddy, find us another truck.

• I like it 2

There is a store here with the 100 proof store pick for $30, and another that routinely has their 100 proof SP for $32.95.  Not sure how much effort goes into picking those 100 proof versions, the stores have nothing to do with selection.  More like they get a sticker with their name on it if they buy the whole barrel.

I've seen no shortage of regular SiB in the KC market.  Might be a empty spot one day, but is full the next visit.

I recall being able to buy FRSiB on sale for $20 a bottle as recently as 5 years ago.  The regular price was in the low to mid-$20s.  Then, it jumped to $29.99.  Then the low to mid-$30s.  It typically ranges in the upper $30s in the Indy area.  However, you can find it for less if you shop around.  I paid $25.89 for a bottle as part of a multi-bottle discount during a sale last week.

One chain in the Indy area typically carried all 10 recipes  for $49.99.  The price then jumped to $54.99.  They would do a spring and fall pick of each.  Within the last year, their stocks disappeared.  A few recipes have reappeared at $69.99.

I have noticed an improvement in the regular FRSiB over the last year.  I assume it is due to slightly older stocks being bottled.  It is what it is...good, but not great.  I won't pay more than $30 a bottle for it.  Too many similar, if not better options, including KC, WT101, EC.   If the price hits even $50 a bottle, they will quickly find out that is a mistake.   Of course, price depends on availability so in some areas they can ask more.   Now the stuff they bottled 5 years ago was stellar.  If that quality of product were available it would command a higher price but still not more than $50.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Back...........up............the truck.

Have dolly cart.

Will travel.

• I like it 1

I remember in the past, there were shortages or allocation of regular Knob Creek and Maker's Mark.  That didn't mean I couldn't find it on shelves.  It meant some stores would have bought more had it been available.

Now, if a product gets discontinued, That's a whole different story.  As far as we know, FRSB is still in production.  Also consider it's not as high volume as some other brands; and there will be regional variations in supply.

I see FRSB in two big chain grocery stores locally.  Grocery stores usually won't mess around with brands if there are major shortages. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I recall being able to buy FRSiB on sale for $20 a bottle as recently as 5 years ago.  The regular price was in the low to mid-$20s.  Then, it jumped to $29.99.  Then the low to mid-$30s.  It typically ranges in the upper $30s in the Indy area.  However, you can find it for less if you shop around.  I paid $25.89 for a bottle as part of a multi-bottle discount during a sale last week.

One chain in the Indy area typically carried all 10 recipes  for $49.99.  The price then jumped to $54.99.  They would do a spring and fall pick of each.  Within the last year, their stocks disappeared.  A few recipes have reappeared at $69.99.

I have noticed an improvement in the regular FRSiB over the last year.  I assume it is due to slightly older stocks being bottled.  It is what it is...good, but not great.  I won't pay more than $30 a bottle for it.  Too many similar, if not better options, including KC, WT101, EC.   If the price hits even $50 a bottle, they will quickly find out that is a mistake.   Of course, price depends on availability so in some areas they can ask more.   Now the stuff they bottled 5 years ago was stellar.  If that quality of product were available it would command a higher price but still not more than $50.

I used to love visiting the in-laws in Indy as I typically came back home with many tasty Four Roses picks (all at a good price and many at or above 10 years). 

5 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I used to love visiting the in-laws in Indy as I typically came back home with many tasty Four Roses picks (all at a good price and many at or above 10 years). 

Joe, those were the days.  I am heading to Crown's Carmel store tomorrow for their annual Holiday Sale.  I was there a few weeks ago and they had a few FRPS bottles behind the counter.  I believe they were OESF which is not one of my favorite recipes.  I can't speak on their picks since several of the guys who did their selections a few years back are no longer working for them.  Those guys were true bourbon guys.  I miss them.  They made some stellar picks.

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Joe, those were the days.  I am heading to Crown's Carmel store tomorrow for their annual Holiday Sale.  I was there a few weeks ago and they had a few FRPS bottles behind the counter.  I believe they were OESF which is not one of my favorite recipes.  I can't speak on their picks since several of the guys who did their selections a few years back are no longer working for them.  Those guys were true bourbon guys.  I miss them.  They made some stellar picks.

My mother in law lives in Carmel and that was the store I visited. It’s been 2 years since I’ve been though. I do remember a 10 year OESQ that I absolutely loved (still think I have a bottle of that bunkered). I finally got to all 10 recipes and I think 5 of the open bottles were from Crown. Now I only have 5 open recipes on the bar as it’s harder to find the private selects (and when I do they are often younger and not as good). 

And I still have some of that 1792 single barrel you recommended to me (which was a big step up from the normal product). 

9 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

My mother in law lives in Carmel and that was the store I visited. It’s been 2 years since I’ve been though. I do remember a 10 year OESQ that I absolutely loved (still think I have a bottle of that bunkered). I finally got to all 10 recipes and I think 5 of the open bottles were from Crown. Now I only have 5 open recipes on the bar as it’s harder to find the private selects (and when I do they are often younger and not as good). 

And I still have some of that 1792 single barrel you recommended to me (which was a big step up from the normal product). 

I remember that 1792 SB it was awesome.  Now, I am getting nostalgic for bourbon that I bought 2 to 3 years ago.  They used to color code their picks red and green.  I believe red was spring and green was fall.  Or the other way around.  I knew the bourbon guys pretty well and they were good at picking barrels.

Edited by mbroo5880i

18 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Not sure how much effort goes into picking those 100 proof versions, the stores have nothing to do with selection. 

One scenario is that the store goes to KY and blindly tastes/picks an OBSV single barrel to be proofed down to 100p.  (6-8 yrs). It’s usually picked from a group of about 5 barrels +/- .

Cask strength bottling will not be done for barrels under 8 yrs.  at this point in time. 

Another scenario is that a regional/local  4R employed rep will go and pick a barrel for your store to buy. 

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

One scenario is that the store goes to KY and blindly tastes/picks an OBSV single barrel to be proofed down to 100p.  (6-8 yrs). It’s usually picked from a group of about 5 barrels +/- .

Cask strength bottling will not be done for barrels under 8 yrs.  at this point in time. 

Another scenario is that a regional/local  4R employed rep will go and pick a barrel for your store to buy. 

VA ABC got a bunch of the 100 proof picks and they do no picking at all. I’m pretty sure Four Roses will give you a random barrel if you want it. 

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

VA ABC got a bunch of the 100 proof picks and they do no picking at all. I’m pretty sure Four Roses will give you a random barrel if you want it. 

Gotcha.

Yeah, I’m sure there’s other situations, I only know the one I was part of. 

:)

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Gotcha.

Yeah, I’m sure there’s other situations, I only know the one I was part of. 

:)

Yeah, the one store that I talked to said they didnt get to pick.  They were approached by the distributor, agreed to the barrel and it was shipped with their name on the label.  The manager typically makes a trip or 2 to KY each year, or picks from samples in store, but not with that 4R pick.  She complained about it, but didnt want to decline and be skipped over in the future.  That could be the exception, though, or due to some issue on the distributors end.

Single Barrel has pretty much been on various levels of allocation since its introduction into the US market around 2005ish (I think?)  Firstly, it was allocated only to Kentucky, and only gradually became available in other states as 4R grew its distribution network throughout the country.  During this rollout, not every store could get it even if they asked for it.  It did enjoy a couple of years of seemingly good availability, but that came to a halt some years ago when stocks became so depleted that it forced 4R to remove private selections of OBSV from the barrel program.  That had opened back up a year or so ago, but at significantly lesser aged whiskey available for it.  Perhaps, stocks are stressed again, as that has been a reoccurring theme for this label, and this industry as a whole.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Single Barrel has pretty much been on various levels of allocation since its introduction into the US market around 2005ish (I think?)  Firstly, it was allocated only to Kentucky, and only gradually became available in other states as 4R grew its distribution network throughout the country.  During this rollout, not every store could get it even if they asked for it.  It did enjoy a couple of years of seemingly good availability, but that came to a halt some years ago when stocks became so depleted that it forced 4R to remove private selections of OBSV from the barrel program.  That had opened back up a year or so ago, but at significantly lesser aged whiskey available for it.  Perhaps, stocks are stressed again, as that has been a reoccurring theme for this label, and this industry as a whole.  

Interesting insight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.