Four Roses SiB on Allocation?

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon Pursuit provided some relevant info on this. Four Roses has increased their price on their private selects' MSRP to $85-$100 a bottle. Let's hope the standard SiB remains around $40 but I'm not going to hold my breath. They also said Boone County wants $175 for their 12 year old bottles now!! The boom has not peaked.

Four Roses SiB cannot be found in most LSs on the line of OH and MI. State Min for MI is $41.99 and in Ohio a tad cheaper. I found a bottle during a hunt and paid $42. FRBS are tough to come by and requires a trip to Ann Arbor but they sell out quick. Price around $75.

Empty slots where four roses 100 proof normally resides at a couple big box chains I frequent. 

It is still plentiful in the Indy area.  However, I have noticed stores that usually carry continue to have empty shelves once they run out.  If the MSRP jumps to $85 to $100 for BP PS, then many buyers of those will probably drop out.  The PS bottles just aren't what they once were.

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is still plentiful in the Indy area.  However, I have noticed stores that usually carry continue to have empty shelves once they run out.  If the MSRP jumps to $85 to $100 for BP PS, then many buyers of those will probably drop out.  The PS bottles just aren't what they once were.

I've had some stellar PS recently but most have been Q and F yeast that I haven't really gravitated towards in the past. PS Four Roses have never been a big mover in NJ it usually takes most stores a couple years to move a barrel with the exception of a few places, most notably Bayway. Last year I bought picks that were a few years old from a local chain, they got a sub 100 proof 12+ year OESO recently and it was gone before any of the NJ guys on the board here could get a bottle as we all figured we had time to do so, not only that but they showed up in the Facebook groups. Clearly it had really interesting stats, but it was priced at $70 when you can find other picks between $50 and $60 with ease, I don't think a change in MSRP will make a difference here.

$85 is a crazy price.

These don’t usually sell out too quickly around here even at $60-75 so I can’t possibly see any justification for $85. I pass on these at $70 so I’m definitely out at $85. 

• I like it 1

This thread has made me pay attention to see if it is disappearing on the Gulf Coast. That answer is still no. It is all over including Sam's for $36. Other LS have it around $38 to $41. It is a bottle that everyone should have on their shelves, but I keep passing it by because it is so readily available...

1 hour ago, Spade said:

$85 is a crazy price.

These don’t usually sell out too quickly around here even at $60-75 so I can’t possibly see any justification for $85. I pass on these at $70 so I’m definitely out at $85. 

TW picks are $70. Other independent stores are $80 to $90. Used to be $59.99 all the time.  There is a grocery store chain that still seems to have them in the $65 range.

I'm still seeing plenty of regular SB on the shelves.

Pallets of it at my Costco.

Perhaps the lack of product in control states has something to do with them being control states?  Bureaucrats go on vacation and forget to place orders or something.  

$85 is a crazy price.

$75 for 6 1/2 yr Bookers regularly in Atlanta. $10 more for 9 1/2 yr barrel proof FR doesn’t seem so crazy by comparison.

9 minutes ago, BigRich said:

$75 for 6 1/2 yr Bookers regularly in Atlanta. $10 more for 9 1/2 yr barrel proof FR doesn’t seem so crazy by comparison.

They are both crazy! I'll stop drinking bourbon before I pay those sorts of silly prices.

• I like it 2

They are both crazy! I'll stop drinking bourbon before I pay those sorts of silly prices.

Agreed. Just offering a point of reference.
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I've had some stellar PS recently but most have been Q and F yeast that I haven't really gravitated towards in the past. PS Four Roses have never been a big mover in NJ it usually takes most stores a couple years to move a barrel with the exception of a few places, most notably Bayway. Last year I bought picks that were a few years old from a local chain, they got a sub 100 proof 12+ year OESO recently and it was gone before any of the NJ guys on the board here could get a bottle as we all figured we had time to do so, not only that but they showed up in the Facebook groups. Clearly it had really interesting stats, but it was priced at $70 when you can find other picks between $50 and $60 with ease, I don't think a change in MSRP will make a difference here.

I guess you are right.  Nothing will sway irrational exuberance like the fear of missing out.  I have seen both O and F yeast recently.  I haven't seen K or Q.  Of course, that is store specific.  I don't think I will be a buyer at $85.  

I did check another grocery chain tonight and there was no regular FRSiB on the shelf.  My guess is this is more of a distribution issue than a shortage.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I guess you are right.  Nothing will sway irrational exuberance like the fear of missing out.  I have seen both O and F yeast recently.  I haven't seen K or Q.  Of course, that is store specific.  I don't think I will be a buyer at $85.  

I did check another grocery chain tonight and there was no regular FRSiB on the shelf.  My guess is this is more of a distribution issue than a shortage.

There is a store up here that has 10yr old OESK that I am going to have to probably get a few more bottles of with the price jump coming. Like someone said, quality has been declining recently, and an easy pass at $85 and higher. I remember getting Gift Shop selections from JR under $60. Times are a changing boys.

• I like it 1

I was struggling at 75. For 85, I'd have to be able to taste it first.

I've had a few duds in the last year. One of which was from the gift shop, which used to be reliable in Jim's day.

Currently on sale at the VA ABC for $41.99 this month which is $3 off the regular price.  Doing a search at "my store" they have 8 bottles in stock and checking other nearby stores they have anywhere from 9-14 bottles in stock.

I visited two local grocery chains over the last few days and noticed both are restocked with FRSiB and the price has not changed.  Appears to have been a distribution issue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.