How 'Bout Some Shrimp Creole...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a really easy dish to make and better than any restaurant; even in Louisiana!!!

1st start with a pour of Blanton's. (or any pour you desire) Make a roux and cook to a medium caramel color. Make a 1/3 cup per pound of shrimp. (roux is not ready for next step in picture & lighting is really poor)

1876578119_1roux.thumb.jpg.36d68a7d9797e62833cc6e7c3e5ec1db.jpg

When roux is done, add a large onion & large bell pepper & blanch... (photo bombed by pour)

1078737749_2blanch.thumb.jpg.1f1709f2f326535aabcd518756181e07.jpg

Next add 2 pounds of seasoned shrimp. If you over-season the shrimp, you will not need to season the sauce. It should be perfect!!! (and it was; this time)

Make sure that you allow your second Blanton's pour to oversee the operation. (they love that)

403694595_3shrimp.thumb.jpg.f7419c23f6ba75f781d3ab2dbd45a84a.jpg

Next add a bit of wine. I used some white zin because that is what was opened in the fridge. I don't know how much, 'cause that's kinda' how I cook. Sometimes it is better than other times because of this but it is always pretty damn good...

2040045313_4wine.thumb.jpg.415c74f74ef6305362e3fc5f3eee9e9a.jpg

Stir, then add tomatoes. I had a 28oz can of crushed; but fresh, sliced, diced or whatever you have will work...

611104099_5tomato.thumb.jpg.c4e10df280e7bba8ec7b61dcec5167d9.jpg

Add water or whatever you need to do to get the consistency of the sauce, that you desire...

1899035257_6nice.jpg.73a6a6c95b18b9025788c3383076e642.jpg

Bring to a boil; then cover & simmer, stirring occasionally. At this point I made the rice. When the rice was done, so was the creole. I forgot to make garlic bread, but it hardly mattered...

Voil`a!!!

She is done & with an added Infinity pour for good measure...

565665964_7eat.jpg.df40da77bd3381880486fe7112eeb4a1.jpg

Damn!!!    That sounds and LOOX  excellent! 

...And, the meal sounds and loox pretty good as well.    Kidding!

I am envious of your enjoyment of this meal bayouredd.    I'd say you're living life as it is meant to be lived, sir.

I love cajun food, and make award winning gumbo myself- at least by Kansas City standards.  That looks spectacular!

Curious what you are seasoning the shrimp with?  I'm going to try this asap...

33 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Damn!!!    That sounds and LOOX  excellent! 

...And, the meal sounds and loox pretty good as well.    Kidding!

I am envious of your enjoyment of this meal bayouredd.    I'd say you're living life as it is meant to be lived, sir.

Hehe... I am a bit serious about my cooking. Of course, I am more serious about my eating. I love the way other people cook & why they try particular spices.

P.S. It was very good!

Tomorrow, Chili made with sirloin...

28 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I love cajun food, and make award winning gumbo myself- at least by Kansas City standards.  That looks spectacular!

Curious what you are seasoning the shrimp with?  I'm going to try this asap...

I am sorry to inform you that if you want to make the best gumbo, only second place is available. haha!.

I make gumbo every Christmas Eve & give to my neighbors, my mailman, the UPS guy and whomever my kids include in the deal. I have been doing this for 25+ years. I usually send out 6 or so gallons of the stuff in quart servings. The good news is that I go through about a half bottle of bourbon in the process. My unopened Blanton's Gold is standing by this year...

As far as seasoning the shrimp. You can use whatever you like mostly because I really like what other people choose as their favorite spices. It is what makes cooking & tasting so fun.

I use without fail on most seafood, Tiger Sauce 1st of all. It is a sweet & spicy, vinegar based sauce that is really good on crab or shrimp, not to mention fish. I also use lemon juice; fresh if I have it on hand; a little garlic powder, "Slap Ya Mama" and black pepper. If these are not available to you, I would use Tabasco and seasoned salt (Lawrys or Mortons) Also, sesame oil is excellent on shrimp, though I didn't use it this time.

P.S. My Dad was Cajun & my Mom is Italian so food is serious business, here...

• I like it 3

I notice that when it comes to dishes like gumbos, chilis, stews etc. where you dump whatever you have in your fridge together in a pot and let it simmer forever, experts fall into two camps: Those who add the bourbon early on and cook the life out of it, and those who add it in the final 5-10 minutes and keep things boozy.

Any strong opinions here? Does this call for a SBS chili dinner?

11 hours ago, Kane said:

I notice that when it comes to dishes like gumbos, chilis, stews etc. where you dump whatever you have in your fridge together in a pot and let it simmer forever, experts fall into two camps: Those who add the bourbon early on and cook the life out of it, and those who add it in the final 5-10 minutes and keep things boozy.

Any strong opinions here? Does this call for a SBS chili dinner?

Too true, but for different reasons. If I want booze for a seasoning, then I add early. Wine gives a richness to gravies when simmered slowly; of course the alcohol is gone in the process. In a sauce over the top of a dish, I want the booze to be part of the taste, so it's added late. In this case the wine was added and simmered for richness & the bourbon was added for pickling & focus. (internally)?

Edited by bayouredd

13 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I am sorry to inform you that if you want to make the best gumbo, only second place is available. haha!.

I make gumbo every Christmas Eve & give to my neighbors, my mailman, the UPS guy and whomever my kids include in the deal. I have been doing this for 25+ years. I usually send out 6 or so gallons of the stuff in quart servings. The good news is that I go through about a half bottle of bourbon in the process. My unopened Blanton's Gold is standing by this year...

As far as seasoning the shrimp. You can use whatever you like mostly because I really like what other people choose as their favorite spices. It is what makes cooking & tasting so fun.

I use without fail on most seafood, Tiger Sauce 1st of all. It is a sweet & spicy, vinegar based sauce that is really good on crab or shrimp, not to mention fish. I also use lemon juice; fresh if I have it on hand; a little garlic powder, "Slap Ya Mama" and black pepper. If these are not available to you, I would use Tabasco and seasoned salt (Lawrys or Mortons) Also, sesame oil is excellent on shrimp, though I didn't use it this time.

P.S. My Dad was Cajun & my Mom is Italian so food is serious business, here...

Do you make your own tiger sauce (I see a lot of different versions online) or buy a certain brand?

3 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Do you make your own tiger sauce (I see a lot of different versions online) or buy a certain brand?

This is the one I use. It is great on seafood & eggs. I do not like it on beef or pork...

https://www.amazon.com/Try-Me-Tiger-Sauce-Ounce/dp/B0005ZUG86?th=1

I have always bought it locally, but damn, you can find anything on Amazon, can't you?

• I like it 1

You folks motivated me to do some sunday night bourbon cookin'. Here comes a mini batch of WSR+Mean Old Tom chili with whatever resources I had lying around.

IMG_20181209_201430.jpg

• I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, Kane said:

You folks motivated me to do some sunday night bourbon cookin'. Here comes a mini batch of WSR+Mean Old Tom chili with whatever resources I had lying around.

IMG_20181209_201430.jpg

That looks like something that needs to be bartered. Beautiful!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.