Jack Daniels Single Barrel "Heritage Barrel"

GeeTen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After doing the obligatory Search with several variations, I'm posting my query here.  Yeah, I know it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but still technically bourbon, no?

My memories of JD are from my "Animal House" days at my fraternity in college so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet.  Supposedly, this is 100 proof whiskey stored in the upper reaches of the rickhouse in heavily charred, then toasted JD-made barrels.  Only 200 barrels in this batch, too.

Anybody tried this stuff yet?  It just showed up on our local shelves.  MSRP is $65 - YMMV.   ☺️

31 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

After doing the obligatory Search with several variations, I'm posting my query here.  Yeah, I know it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but still technically bourbon, no?

My memories of JD are from my "Animal House" days at my fraternity in college so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet.  Supposedly, this is 100 proof whiskey stored in the upper reaches of the rickhouse in heavily charred, then toasted JD-made barrels.  Only 200 barrels in this batch, too.

Anybody tried this stuff yet?  It just showed up on our local shelves.  MSRP is $65 - YMMV.   ☺️

"...charred THEN  barrelled"? 

That seems silly to me.     Once charred, wouldn't toasting accomplish little to no change in the wood? 

(Granted, I have virtually zero understanding of the process of toasting, and know 'some' but not a lot about charring.)

Anyone with knowledge and understanding; please elucidate!

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

That seems silly to me.     Once charred, wouldn't toasting accomplish little to no change in the wood? 

(Granted, I have virtually zero understanding of the process of toasting, and know 'some' but not a lot about charring.)

It is my understanding that it isn't the same barrel.  It is first stored in heavily charred barrels and then "finished" in toasted barrels, which is similar to what Michter's does with their Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon.

I opened up a bottle of this the other night.  First impressions were positive, but I need to revisit it this week after a little breathing time.  Nice flavor. 

I like it quite a bit, to me it's the best JD I've had I think it's more balanced than JDBP. In regards to toasting then charring this is what BF does with many of their barrels, toasting first over a longer period of time would definitely have an effect as it impacts deeper into the wood than charring which is more surface level. It has an impact as the distillate is pulled deeper into the wood than the char level while aging.

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

It is my understanding that it isn't the same barrel.  It is first stored in heavily charred barrels and then "finished" in toasted barrels, which is similar to what Michter's does with their Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon.

Ahhh, now it makes sense.   Thanx, NDN98.  :)

I shoulda guessed this was what Gee meant. :mellow:

I put it down to early hour.    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :lol:

• I like it 2

These JD barrels are slowly toasted to achieve a a deeper, richer toasted layer before they are charred. This is not a double barreled, finished product. The distillate is also at a lower entry proof than normal JD when barreled and is matured in the top racks of the highest elevated rickhouse in Lynchburg.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

It's  been a tough morning ordering tile for the master bathroom renovation. I am probably wrong about the Heritage barrel. Will check and update as necessary. .

Edited by GeeTen

My LS held me a bottle, and if memory serves, the neck tag said they put it in the barrel at 100 proof. I really, really enjoyed my first glass. I'm not a JD buyer except for the barrel proof, but what was originally a bit of remorse for spending MORE money on whiskey, turned into instant relief that I didn't let this bottle go.

• I like it 2

Their website and hangtag on the bottle spews this crap line - "The "Heritage Barrel" expression of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel was crafted with a low temperature, heavy toasted barrel which created a light but rich char"  Toasting does NOT create char.  And if the barrels were not charred, then it fails to meet the state of TN law for TN whiskey.

Edited by wadewood

Their website and hangtag on the bottle spews this crap line - "The "Heritage Barrel" expression of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel was crafted with a low temperature, heavy toasted barrel which created a light but rich char"  Toasting does NOT create char.  And if the barrels were not charred, then it fails to meet the state of TN law for TN whiskey.

The last time I made toast and left it in the toaster too long, I believe I ended up with charred toast. So, yes, I believe extended toasting can create char.
  • I like it 3

Ahhh, now it makes sense.   Thanx, NDN98.  [emoji4]
I shoulda guessed this was what Gee meant. :mellow:
I put it down to early hour.    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :lol:

Looks like I assumed wrong. According to an article I just read in Forbes, “These were created specifically for this project and were slowly heated during their production to achieve a deeper, richer toasted layer before being charred. All of the color and much of the flavor in any whiskey (or any colored spirit) comes from the barrels, and wood and level of toasting or charring is vitally important to the final product.”
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Looks like I assumed wrong. According to an article I just read in Forbes, “These were created specifically for this project and were slowly heated during their production to achieve a deeper, richer toasted layer before being charred. All of the color and much of the flavor in any whiskey (or any colored spirit) comes from the barrels, and wood and level of toasting or charring is vitally important to the final product.”

As I've noted many times before, English is NOT my native language . . . . . . .

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

As I've noted many times before, English is NOT my native language . . . . . . .

Que Pasa? :unsure:

I finally got around to opening a bottle of this tonight, and I’ve got to say...it’s pretty darn fantastic!

• I like it 1

All this talk about char, toasting and marketing hype, yada yada.  Thank you lcpfratn for tasting it and telling us how it actually tastes.

• I like it 1

All this talk about char, toasting and marketing hype, yada yada.  Thank you lcpfratn for tasting it and telling us how it actually tastes.

Actually, several folks early in the thread indicated that they liked it too, but admittedly, there hasn’t been any discussion regarding whether it’s any good for quite a few posts. After tasting it this evening, I’ll also say that I’m happy that I have more than one bottle since I haven’t seen it on any store shelves since shortly after it was released.
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Actually, several folks early in the thread indicated that they liked it too, but admittedly, there hasn’t been any discussion regarding whether it’s any good for quite a few posts. After tasting it this evening, I’ll also say that I’m happy that I have more than one bottle since I haven’t seen it on any store shelves since shortly after it was released.

I think there were a few posts in the "Other American Whiskey" threads as well. I'm glad I bunkered a few as well. 

• I like it 2

Ok, will see if the bourbon budget can handle a bottle or two.  Took another hit today - see "Lottery" thread.   ☺️

• 3 weeks later...

Missed out on this one unfortunately.  My store has done a JD Barrel Proof pick on a few occasions .  I did not care much for the first bottle and had to be convinced to buy the second time around this fall.  WOW! The second bottle was just huge brown sugar and caramel and great with ice.  Heat wise drank like a 100 proofer despite hitting a healthy 135pf.  They just got in a third barrel that my store says is closer in profile to the first one, but I am still excited to try it.  

Back on topic. The JDBP opened my eyes a bit and I would definitely buy the Heritage if I saw it and/or it was released again.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.