Jump to content
GeeTen

Jack Daniels Single Barrel "Heritage Barrel"

Recommended Posts

GeeTen

After doing the obligatory Search with several variations, I'm posting my query here.  Yeah, I know it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but still technically bourbon, no?

 

My memories of JD are from my "Animal House" days at my fraternity in college so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet.  Supposedly, this is 100 proof whiskey stored in the upper reaches of the rickhouse in heavily charred, then toasted JD-made barrels.  Only 200 barrels in this batch, too.

 

Anybody tried this stuff yet?  It just showed up on our local shelves.  MSRP is $65 - YMMV.   ☺️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
31 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

After doing the obligatory Search with several variations, I'm posting my query here.  Yeah, I know it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but still technically bourbon, no?

 

My memories of JD are from my "Animal House" days at my fraternity in college so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet.  Supposedly, this is 100 proof whiskey stored in the upper reaches of the rickhouse in heavily charred, then toasted JD-made barrels.  Only 200 barrels in this batch, too.

 

Anybody tried this stuff yet?  It just showed up on our local shelves.  MSRP is $65 - YMMV.   ☺️

 

"...charred THEN  barrelled"? 

That seems silly to me.     Once charred, wouldn't toasting accomplish little to no change in the wood? 

(Granted, I have virtually zero understanding of the process of toasting, and know 'some' but not a lot about charring.)

 

Anyone with knowledge and understanding; please elucidate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NDN98
1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

"...charred THEN  barrelled"? 

That seems silly to me.     Once charred, wouldn't toasting accomplish little to no change in the wood? 

(Granted, I have virtually zero understanding of the process of toasting, and know 'some' but not a lot about charring.)

 

Anyone with knowledge and understanding; please elucidate!

It is my understanding that it isn't the same barrel.  It is first stored in heavily charred barrels and then "finished" in toasted barrels, which is similar to what Michter's does with their Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeffrey r

I opened up a bottle of this the other night.  First impressions were positive, but I need to revisit it this week after a little breathing time.  Nice flavor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

I like it quite a bit, to me it's the best JD I've had I think it's more balanced than JDBP. In regards to toasting then charring this is what BF does with many of their barrels, toasting first over a longer period of time would definitely have an effect as it impacts deeper into the wood than charring which is more surface level. It has an impact as the distillate is pulled deeper into the wood than the char level while aging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

It is my understanding that it isn't the same barrel.  It is first stored in heavily charred barrels and then "finished" in toasted barrels, which is similar to what Michter's does with their Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon.

Ahhh, now it makes sense.   Thanx, NDN98.  :)

I shoulda guessed this was what Gee meant. :mellow:

I put it down to early hour.    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :lol:

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

These JD barrels are slowly toasted to achieve a a deeper, richer toasted layer before they are charred. This is not a double barreled, finished product. The distillate is also at a lower entry proof than normal JD when barreled and is matured in the top racks of the highest elevated rickhouse in Lynchburg.

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen
4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

"...charred THEN  barrelled"? 

That seems silly to me.     Once charred, wouldn't toasting accomplish little to no change in the wood? 

(Granted, I have virtually zero understanding of the process of toasting, and know 'some' but not a lot about charring.)

 

Anyone with knowledge and understanding; please elucidate!

It's  been a tough morning ordering tile for the master bathroom renovation. I am probably wrong about the Heritage barrel. Will check and update as necessary. .

Edited by GeeTen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Surtur

My LS held me a bottle, and if memory serves, the neck tag said they put it in the barrel at 100 proof. I really, really enjoyed my first glass. I'm not a JD buyer except for the barrel proof, but what was originally a bit of remorse for spending MORE money on whiskey, turned into instant relief that I didn't let this bottle go.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wadewood

Their website and hangtag on the bottle spews this crap line - "The "Heritage Barrel" expression of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel was crafted with a low temperature, heavy toasted barrel which created a light but rich char"  Toasting does NOT create char.  And if the barrels were not charred, then it fails to meet the state of TN law for TN whiskey.

Edited by wadewood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Their website and hangtag on the bottle spews this crap line - "The "Heritage Barrel" expression of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel was crafted with a low temperature, heavy toasted barrel which created a light but rich char"  Toasting does NOT create char.  And if the barrels were not charred, then it fails to meet the state of TN law for TN whiskey.

The last time I made toast and left it in the toaster too long, I believe I ended up with charred toast. So, yes, I believe extended toasting can create char.
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NDN98
Ahhh, now it makes sense.   Thanx, NDN98. 
I shoulda guessed this was what Gee meant. :mellow:
I put it down to early hour.    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :lol:

Looks like I assumed wrong. According to an article I just read in Forbes, “These were created specifically for this project and were slowly heated during their production to achieve a deeper, richer toasted layer before being charred. All of the color and much of the flavor in any whiskey (or any colored spirit) comes from the barrels, and wood and level of toasting or charring is vitally important to the final product.”
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen
9 hours ago, NDN98 said:


Looks like I assumed wrong. According to an article I just read in Forbes, “These were created specifically for this project and were slowly heated during their production to achieve a deeper, richer toasted layer before being charred. All of the color and much of the flavor in any whiskey (or any colored spirit) comes from the barrels, and wood and level of toasting or charring is vitally important to the final product.”

 As I've noted many times before, English is NOT my native language . . . . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

 As I've noted many times before, English is NOT my native language . . . . . . .

Que Pasa? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

I finally got around to opening a bottle of this tonight, and I’ve got to say...it’s pretty darn fantastic!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

All this talk about char, toasting and marketing hype, yada yada.  Thank you lcpfratn for tasting it and telling us how it actually tastes.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
All this talk about char, toasting and marketing hype, yada yada.  Thank you lcpfratn for tasting it and telling us how it actually tastes.

Actually, several folks early in the thread indicated that they liked it too, but admittedly, there hasn’t been any discussion regarding whether it’s any good for quite a few posts. After tasting it this evening, I’ll also say that I’m happy that I have more than one bottle since I haven’t seen it on any store shelves since shortly after it was released.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:


Actually, several folks early in the thread indicated that they liked it too, but admittedly, there hasn’t been any discussion regarding whether it’s any good for quite a few posts. After tasting it this evening, I’ll also say that I’m happy that I have more than one bottle since I haven’t seen it on any store shelves since shortly after it was released.

I think there were a few posts in the "Other American Whiskey" threads as well. I'm glad I bunkered a few as well. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen

Ok, will see if the bourbon budget can handle a bottle or two.  Took another hit today - see "Lottery" thread.   ☺️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rjg1701

Snagged a bottle last night.  Very unique, barely recognizable as JD, with a very powerful and dry oak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

This is a very good JD whiskey, I think I have 3 in the bunker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw

Missed out on this one unfortunately.  My store has done a JD Barrel Proof pick on a few occasions .  I did not care much for the first bottle and had to be convinced to buy the second time around this fall.  WOW! The second bottle was just huge brown sugar and caramel and great with ice.  Heat wise drank like a 100 proofer despite hitting a healthy 135pf.  They just got in a third barrel that my store says is closer in profile to the first one, but I am still excited to try it.  

 

Back on topic. The JDBP opened my eyes a bit and I would definitely buy the Heritage if I saw it and/or it was released again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×