Which everyday sipper is now hard to find?

JimmyJames
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all

Which of your everyday sippers do you notice becoming a bit scarce in your area? 

Here in TX, CEHT, Weller, HMbib are getting scarce but the one I notice, cuz the wife loves it, is ER10. Which bourbons do you think are next to stay behind the LS counter or become limit 1 per customer. 

One LS I go to at times has the glass case of Pappy and GTS type stuff for astronomical prices but has OGD114 for 20.00. Same guy has WSR behind the counter. It will probably be behind the glass soon at some stupid price. 

Funny thing is another LS literally down the street has a ton of WSR on the shelf for 17.99. 

Here in DFW, I think ER10 is going behind the glass next..

ER10 you have to drive all over town. OwA might as well be Pappy. Used to always grab WSR as well but it's almost as hard to find. OGD114 had the scare a couple years ago but seems to be back everywhere, albeit at a slightly higher price.  I haven"t looked for it lately but I hear that HMcKBIB is getting hard to find.

25 minutes ago, Clueby said:

ER10 you have to drive all over town. OwA might as well be Pappy. Used to always grab WSR as well but it's almost as hard to find. OGD114 had the scare a couple years ago but seems to be back everywhere, albeit at a slightly higher price.  I haven"t looked for it lately but I hear that HMcKBIB is getting hard to find.

A few months back BT offered barrels of OWA out to the retailers. Keep your eyes open over the next month or so and maybe you'll get a shot at it. Think my local LS will see this come in during the next couple of weeks. But, it's not that rare in Memphis either. It is however a VERY enjoyable pour.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

I haven"t looked for it lately but I hear that HMcKBIB is getting hard to find.

TWCP now limits customers to 1 bottle, plus the price has been raised to roughly $35. 

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

TWCP now limits customers to 1 bottle, plus the price has been raised to roughly $35. 

20181215_152251-784x1613.jpg

I'd hafta nominate ET BIB for the question asked her.    At least in my area, I generally need to place actual order and await delivery a week to two weex hence.

It depends what you consider an everyday sipper.  Over the past several years there have been "rolling" brown outs of popular bourbons - BT, ER10.  Some less mainstream but popular among enthusiasts bourbons have become more difficult to find due to allocation or being discontinued - OWA, WSR, WL12, HMcK10, Old Fitz, OC10, Blanton's, ETL, AAA10, VOB BIB 6 yr.  Of course, some of those weren't widely available to begin with.   

However, as old favorite "daily sippers" disappear, other new and old daily sippers are available, although the prices are a little higher and age statements have disappeared.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

For me, EC12 was a daily go to. It is still around of course but now NAS which some think is better. Years ago, ETL was something you could find on the shelf all the time and use as a daily pour too. Now, it is mostly a lottery item.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, JimmyJames said:

One LS I go to at times has the glass case of Pappy and GTS type stuff for astronomical prices but has OGD114 for 20.00. Same guy has WSR behind the counter. It will probably be behind the glass soon at some stupid price. 

Funny thing is another LS literally down the street has a ton of WSR on the shelf for 17.99. 

Here in DFW, I think ER10 is going behind the glass next..

I think you might be right on the ER10, at least in DFW.  Everyone has started keeping it in the office when they get it tin.  I usually don't have trouble finding it, but it does seem to be getting scarce.  I was at a lottery at WB liquor last week and it was one of the raffle items.  Craziness!

Currently, Eagle Rare 10yr and McKenna SiB 10yr are regularly available here in Virginia, but they would be my guesses for the next bourbons to have intermittent at best availability. Both have seen recent price increases, so maybe that will keep them from disappearing. It feels like anything with an age statement is liable to join the list of hard to find stuff or be discontinued/have the age statement dropped. Virgin 101 7yr seems like it would be a prime candidate to be discontinued as it is a value oriented, age stated, regional brand.

HM10 has gone to a bottle limit of 1 at many stores in my area with price hikes bordering $40 and above. It was good while it lasted.

ER10 is still widely available for $30 or less luckily.

6 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Currently, Eagle Rare 10yr and McKenna SiB 10yr are regularly available here in Virginia, but they would be my guesses for the next bourbons to have intermittent at best availability. Both have seen recent price increases, so maybe that will keep them from disappearing. It feels like anything with an age statement is liable to join the list of hard to find stuff or be discontinued/have the age statement dropped. Virgin 101 7yr seems like it would be a prime candidate to be discontinued as it is a value oriented, age stated, regional brand.

I’ve seen reports of HMBIB being allocated now. It is hard for me to believe anything remotely hard to find can be found easily in VA though. 

In my market (Columbia, South Carolina) any and all BT products are gone from the shelf. Total wine puts them all in the ‘box’. We got some EGT small batch and rye at some point in time this year and it was gone in a whisper. Haven’t seen ER10 in a while. One reason I ended up getting into Turkey and Roses. No sense in liking stuff you can’t get. 

• I like it 1

Another reason I am happy to be in Massachusetts. We can always find the "everyday sippers", and very often at MSRP with no tax.

• I like it 1

I've noticed that for some reason, grocery stores or pharmacies don't carry many if any bottled in bond brands.  For those, I must go to a liquor store.  If I want good selection and prices on bonds, then a special trip way to the other side of town.  That is to find VOB and the others @ MSRP.

Meijer used to have OGD, but dropped it in favor of flavored fake moonshine garbage.  (I'll never buy.)

Been worried about ER10 becoming truly rare for a couple of years.  It seems rather feast or famine here in Colorado, but thankfully not usually marked up past $35. A fresh wave just hit apparently, so I took advantage and acquired 2 1.75 and 2 750 to add to my already substantial ER bunker.

Also noticed most places have HMcK 10, but for a consistent $38-40.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.