Which Bottle for Xmas?

Crowes
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been a while since I have posted here but I thought I would take a moment to gather some opinions. I want to grab a nice bottle for the holidays to share with my dad and my local store has these offerings:

Barrel Bourbon Batch 14

Barrel Bourbon Batch 15

Old Fitzgerald BIB 9yr Fall Release

Joseph Magnus Triple Cask

Trying to decide which one to grab. I have yet to try any of the Barrel Bourbon offerings, missed out on the Old Fitz 11yr (I know I have read differing opinions on the quality, buat have heard this new release is a step up). The Joseph Magnus Triple cask sounds interesting. I tend to like my bourbon on the sweater side, but balanced with spice. I love wheaters so the Old Fitz is jumping out at me.

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

I'd probably go with the Old Fitz 9.  It's received very good reviews (far better than the 11).  I haven't tried the 9 but I thought the negative reviews on the 11 were too negative.

• I like it 1

I won't tell you to go for the Magnus triple cask since I have a personal interest in it (I make it), but just as an FYI, the components are currently 12 years old. However, if you do decide to go the Magnus direction, see if you can find the Cigar Blend bourbon instead. 

That said, Old Fitz pretty great as well! ?

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I won't tell you to go for the Magnus triple cask since I have a personal interest in it (I make it), but just as an FYI, the components are currently 12 years old. However, if you do decide to go the Magnus direction, see if you can find the Cigar Blend bourbon instead. 

That said, Old Fitz pretty great as well! ?

Thanks so much for the reply. The Triple Cask is all they have, and all that I’ve seen. I ended up getting the Fitz but they always seem to have one bottle of your Magnus in stock and I’ve been eyeing it for a while. I’ve also read nothing but great things... so maybe that’ll be my New Years bottle!

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Thanks so much for the reply. The Triple Cask is all they have, and all that I’ve seen. I ended up getting the Fitz but they always seem to have one bottle of your Magnus in stock and I’ve been eyeing it for a while. I’ve also read nothing but great things... so maybe that’ll be my New Years bottle!

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Well, you certainly can't go wrong with the Old Fitz! I like that one quite a bit myself. 

At any rate, if you do manage to get the Magnus triple cask, please let me know. I'd like to get your thoughts. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

Since I'm not affiliated with Magnus like Nancy let me say from a different standpoint that all the Magnus releases I've tried are delicious and well done (I have yet to find a cigar blend) and I highly recommend them.

• I like it 2

I treated myself to the Barrell batch 15 for my birthday. I did good! I think you made a good choice on the Fitz based on what I’ve heard and you can’t beat the presentation of that bottle for a gift. 

• I like it 2

Gifted myself my first ever GTS!  My wife saw it this morning at, of all places, a nearby supermarket in their locked case and called to ask if I wanted her to get it for me.  She's a keeper, all right!  It was over MSRP but half or less than secondary price.  Probably open it on New Year's. 

GTS 18.jpg

Edited by fosmith
typo
  • I like it 8

I would probably grab the Old Fitz just because I have never had it and reviews are nice; but I can tell you the Jos Maggie is an excellent complex bourbon. I am saving the last quarter of my bottle to share with my Daughter & Hubbie for Christmas. It is special enough to share with someone special!!!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Gifted myself my first ever GTS!  My wife saw it this morning at, of all places, a nearby supermarket in their locked case and called to ask if I wanted her to get it for me.  She's a keeper, all right!  It was over MSRP but half or less than secondary price.  Probably open it on New Year's. 

GTS 18.jpg

I'd enjoy that one for half of secondary as well.  That's a nice Christmas bottle.

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

GTS 18.jpg

See that's just mean lol. That wasn't one of my choices! Or my dream bottle every year WLW

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

GTS 18.jpg

Indeed, she's definitely a keeper.  Congrats man.

19 hours ago, fosmith said:

GTS 18.jpg

That's one of my personal favorites, along with WLW! Sadly I haven't been able to find a bottle in years. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas everyone!

I just bought two Xmas bottles,  one of which was the hit of our family gathering on Saturday night - MB Roland Uncut and Unfiltered Bourbon,  a straight,  barrel proof delight that lit up our Holiday Old Fashioneds.   Raisans and sweet corn is how i'd describe this superior craft bourbon.   

Still unopened is a gift for my brother in law,  Wyoming Whiskey's Outryder,  which is a bonded whiskey consisting of a blend of a bourbon and a high-rye four grain.    The MB Roland was a pleasant surprise for me,  but I know the Outryder well - simply one of the better craft whiskeys around.

Edited by Jazzhead

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Merry Christmas everyone!

I just bought two Xmas bottles,  one of which was the hit of our family gathering on Saturday night - MB Roland Uncut and Unfiltered Bourbon,  a straight,  barrel proof delight that lit up our Holiday Old Fashioneds.   Raisans and sweet corn is how i'd describe this superior craft bourbon.   

Still unopened is a gift for my brother in law,  Wyoming Whiskey's Outryder,  which is a bonded whiskey consisting of a blend of a bourbon and a high-rye four grain.    The MB Roland was a pleasant surprise for me,  but I know the Outryder well - simply one of the better craft whiskeys around.

@Jazzhead, glad you like the WW Outryder! I blended that one as well. We didn't do a version of it this year in order to let the barrels age another year. It will be 8 years old next year when we put the next batch together. However, when we took samples back this past September, it was really "turning the corner" and tasting so much more mature. 

Cheers, and happy holidays,

Nancy

@WhiskeyBlender

Hi Nancy, and Merry Christmas!

The diversity of craft whiskey intrigues me,  but the true sign of quality is when I buy a second bottle after the first is done.   Wyoming Whiskey has become a regular pour for me - I'm on my third bottle of the Outryder.  I also have open a store pick of the cask strength version of your wheated bourbon,  and a bunkered bottle of your bourbon with a wine barrel finish.   

Glad to see the Outryder isn't a one-off - it's been missing from the shelves here in Pennsy for the better part of a year,  but I found a bottle at Total Wine while visiting my wife's family in California.   It will be opened this evening, so cheers to you and rest of the folks puttin' out the good stuff in Wyoming.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.