1/3 of Rare Scotch is Fake

jvd99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A study of numerous bottles of rare scotch whisky found 1/3 to be fakes.  I know SBers usually aren’t buying these bottles, but I’ve firmly believed that even lower tiers of scotch and certainly the LE bourbons are probably being sold as fakes on the secondary.  For modern bourbons, there’s just no security in the closures which is a huge problem when a forger can buy a genuine empty online.  Watch out folks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46566703

• I like it 2

This is timely - Last week I bought this rare scotch whisky called "Old Smuggler".

When I opened it, it tasted awful.

Makes sense now...

• I like it 2

I'm glad you posted this jvd99.  I read the article on BBC News website several days ago.  A lot of secondary market stuff is fake.  You all can check it out.

Yeah - when the rewards are what they are today for things like BTAC and PVW, I would assume that a large % on the secondary are fakes (when you see what the empties were/are selling for on eBay - jeez).  Unless you are certain of the provenance, I'd certainly be skeptical of secondary purchases.  The sad part is that the 'last seller' in many cases isn't even aware they're selling a fake. 

Of course, a solution to this is to bring those bottles directly home from the retailer, open them, and enjoy :)  But, to each their own!

Secondary as in Craigslist is plain stupid at this point, but auction houses are paid to do better than that, to give you assurance that your purchase is genuine. It's worrying that fakes can pass their filters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.