Official what are you planning to enjoy of Christmas Eve and Day thread........

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, nobody gave me the authority to call it official, I'm just being presumptive.

This thread does not supplant the usual "what are you drinking" thread. It's just an opportunity to ruminate a bit on what you have set aside for the special evening and day.

For myself, Christmas Eve and Day are all about the wheaters. I've told this story before but I'll repeat it just because.

The first year I was able to acquire any of the LE bourbons, I missed out on BTAC but got my act together in time to score a Lot B and a PVW15. Because we are always late in the distribution chain, I did not acquire these until the first week of December. So I decided to save the Lot B for Christmas Eve and the PVW15 for Christmas Day. Because of this, I've always associated Van Winkles with Christmas. To complicate matters, on that first Christmas Eve with Lot B, our very favorite cat who had been with us every day of our married life was very sick and we knew he didn't have long. On Christmas Day we knew his death was imminent and the day after, we had to put him down. So the Van Winkles were tainted for a while due to the association. Time has healed that wound so the tradition stands, but it also includes a toast to the life of a little furry creature who brought so much joy into ours.

So for this Christmas I have a twist to the tradition. I have a sample of Joe's Weller blend. Those of you who have tried it know how good it is. On Christmas Eve I'll be cracking open Joe's blend. The on Christmas Day it will be PVW15 as usual.

What about you?

• I like it 4

For me (and Gary) it'll be whatever he decides after a tour through my bunker. 

As always, whenever he's at my place he gets to pick; whenever I'm at his, I pick.    It allows us to enjoy each others' company as well as each other's pours with a little element of surprise along for the ride.

I'll encourage him to consider any/all of the recent acquisitions of limited release stuff, as well as special pours from back in the day; but, he often chooses private pix to which he doesn't have access, as he lives 1-hours away.

Whatever is chosen will be enjoyed all the more because it'll be shared.    I c'nardly wait!!!!

• I like it 2

Nothing special planned for Christmas, no friends or family this year, and no special bottles either. But I have a very special THH to be enjoyed on New Year's Day. To be continued next week...

I've always drank Turkey for the holidays.  I've got a bit of old CGF set aside that'll be followed by a Jim Rutledge, PS, OESO. 

• I like it 2

Christmas eve at the In Laws and while they are big drinkers nobody likes anything "high proof" and I am the only one who drinks out of a glencairn.  Everyone else is rocks or mixed with soda.  So with that in mind I am bringing a bottle of Weller Special Reserve and a Nikka From the Barrel that I picked up recently, am excited to try, but do not necessarily need the whole bottle.  But two years ago it was all Johnny Walker Red with Sprite so I am slowly making progress with them.

Christmas Day is with my family and my two sisters enjoy cocktails so I am bringing a bottle of the barrel aged Boulevardiers and barrel aged Manhattans I mixed up as well as ingredients for Hot Toddys.  

I am jealous of those who have people to share  their special bottles with.  It's definitely something I am lacking despite having the chance to obtain the limited edition stuff.  I know, I know, most on here are in the open it right away camp.  I am very happy with what I drink on a daily basis and do not feel like I am missing out.  Plus I am in the process of severely thinning the bunker (more in a later post) and as everyone here knows that is really a three steps (bottles) forward, two bottles back type deal.  We are looking to move in the next year or two and I will have the space for a larger bar which will help as right now most open bottles do not last very long due to space restrictions.

I prefer not to have a plan.  I might drink something that's open, or I might dive into the bunker for something special if the mood is right.

I would expect that with my parents coming over on Christmas Day, there will be some High West consumed.  My mother loves Rendezvous Rye and especially MWND.  I introduced it (MWND) to her last year on thanksgiving, and she's been asking about it for the past year.  I politely informed her that "we don't drink that in the summer" , lol.

I actually got her a bottle for Christmas this year.  I think shel'll be thrilled.

:)

My wife will either be taking a decent bottle with her (to her mother's), or choking down the Jim Beam white label handle that my mother-in-law bought 5 years ago for an old boyfriend.

• I like it 2

I have too many open bottles right now but trying to thin the heard before Tuesday. I am planning on opening this years GTS but that could change. We are staying home and not visiting family for the second year in a row, so I won't get to share it with anyone until I send out a few samples. Have to share the wealth one way or another.

• I like it 2

I lucked out and found some harder to find bottles this year, which I'm waiting for Christmas to open. Some combination of George T Stagg, Elijah Craig 18, and Rhetoric 25 will likely be what is in my glass. I've cracked the GTS open already but only to send a few buddies a sample. I've been informed I am not allowed to partake until the day of, and it's currently under the tree with a sweater on.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Something Weller for me more than likely. What the heck do y'all expect form a Weller whore? Dickle or JD for heaven's sake? :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Quiet holidays for us and I’ll be the only whiskey drinker. I’ll get into the BTAC and ORVW and probably also some 1792PF blended with 1792FP for a little Christmasy spices. 

• I like it 2

Unsure. It'll be pretty quiet around here. I know there is a bottle or two hiding out under the tree, so perhaps one of those. 

On Christmas Eve we're going to my brother's place in Annapolis. I'm taking the OGD BIB to gift and I'll sample what he's got. Christmas day will be at my nephew's house and it'll be a wine day as that's what he and his wife drink. 

Quiet days like others, for the Day plan on cracking open the 2017 Yellowstone LE I picked up after tasting at the LS bar recently (same place I just drew for the W12), followed most likely by a little R23.  For the Eve before, after a possible Longhorn steak visit, a BTD night with a little W12 & Blantons.  New Years Eve might see me heading off on a little intetstallar adventure...

Resizer_15455226119592.thumb.jpg.6f9002bcff472d91e2617de975f7bb1e.jpg

Edited by PowderKeg

this year i've got my children all together for a nice christmas lunch. my son has joined the marines and is home on leave so im looking forward to seeing him. i'll open a bottle of WTRB i think after lunch. 

wish everyone a lovely christmas.

• I like it 1

Last Christmas eve was very rewarding personally. My daughter has just turned 2 and was starting to figure out what Christmas was about. After my daughter was in bed, my wife and I got set for Santa. My wife went to bed and I got to ruminate on having an amazing wife and my journey as a father. I poured the best I had,  ‘90 Cheesy Gold Foil (WT 12/101) nd it was devine. It remains the best bourbon I have ever had. 

This year I have a sample of ‘94 split label (and a ‘95 split on the way) for my favorite fatherly tradition of the season. 

• I like it 6

Like some of you above, it'll be a quiet Christmas this year and I'll be the only bourbon drinker (although I'll be getting together with family after Christmas and I'll do a bourbon gift exchange with my brother then) . 

I'll pour something special for Christmas Eve and Night, something from BTAC or 4RLE most likely, or maybe a barrel finished whiskey. It'll be a game time decision :- )

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Something Weller for me more than likely. What the heck do y'all expect form a Weller whore? Dickle or JD for heaven's sake? :lol:

Biba! Joe

Joe, if you had said anything else other than Weller I think the internets would have blown up and shut down the site.

For us, we'll have 22 people at the house, some of which are bourbon drinkers so anything I have is fair game (79 different bourbons & 10 different ryes).  The main three that I plan to sample are GTS (my first bottle ever), a PS Barrel Bourbon I tried when I was in Cape Girardeau MO for a wedding in October (liked it so much I grabbed a bottle) and Blood Oath Pact #4.  The only thing that is off limits is my wife's bottle of Old Ezra 101 15 yr. (distilled in 1966 & bottled in 1981).  It gets open when she retires in a couple of years.

My family was over on Saturday and it was Pikesville Rye.  My wife's family is over on Christmas Eve and it will be nothing.  We are going to church after the party.  My kids will be over on Christmas and we will have wine, bourbon and egg nog.  I am hoping to grab an OF 1910 tomorrow and we can have pours of OF 1910 and 1920.  

• I like it 1

I lost a mentor this year. Opened a bottle the night it happened. Might toast to him out of that bottle for Christmas. Don’t really want to kill the bottle just yet, though, so Christmas Day may mean I’m cracking open an EHT single barrel I just picked up and have my eye on :)

• I like it 3

We've got a full house for Christmas, including our 7 and 9yr old grandkids, so it's been kind of crazy in our normally quiet home. CEHT Tornado seems appropriate.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

We've got a full house for Christmas, including our 7 and 9yr old grandkids, so it's been kind of crazy in our normally quiet home. CEHT Tornado seems appropriate.

Whoa!!! You have one of the CEHT Tornados?!

Nice!!!

Going to my in-laws for their annual Christmas Eve party.  Usually have 40-50 people there and my contribution is always to bring booze.  Bringing a Russell's Reserve Store Pick, Makers 46, Very Old Barton BIB, Jack Daniels BS SiB, and a bottle of Havana Club 7 Rum.

Edited by NDN98

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.