What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

IMG_1982.jpg
This was a nice way to celebrate Christmas with the family today. First pour was for me, then some samples to share with others. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

It is December 25th after all, so ... Happy Birthday to the Big Guy.

OFBB 2018

IMG_1705.JPG

Well done sir.

• I like it 1

On 12/25/2018 at 6:24 PM, Kepler said:

It is December 25th after all, so ... Happy Birthday to the Big Guy.

OFBB 2018

IMG_1705.JPG

Awesome glass. And all your holiday pours have looked great

• I like it 1

Finally got to open a couple of my Christmas gifts. First time trying OF 1920. It is a bit too fruit forward and a bit too hot/young tasting, but I still like it overall. Also opened a New Riff single barrel. The closest thing this reminds me of is OGD 114 with less orange  peel (unfortunately) and no acetone (a big positive). I like it overall, but it doesn't wow me. I think some air may help as the nose is very shy.

I recently picked up a bottle of the highly-regarded Stagg Jr. Batch 9, and opened it up last evening. It was an interesting case study in airtime and oxidation. I compared it blind to a Batch 10 bottle that has been open for about a month, and a Batch 3 bottle that has been open for some years. They were all close, but the Batch 10 was clearly the best, and what turned out to be the Batch 9 was definitely closed off and ranked third. I have little doubt that with some airtime, the Batch 9 will equal or exceed the Batch 10, which was fantastic.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

I recently picked up a bottle of the highly-regarded Stagg Jr. Batch 9, and opened it up last evening. It was an interesting case study in airtime and oxidation. I compared it blind to a Batch 10 bottle that has been open for about a month, and a Batch 3 bottle that has been open for some years. They were all close, but the Batch 10 was clearly the best, and what turned out to be the Batch 9 was definitely closed off and ranked third. I have little doubt that with some airtime, the Batch 9 will equal or exceed the Batch 10, which was fantastic.

Thanks a lot pal. :mellow: Here I am trying to cut back on my purchases, and you post this. :huh:

FWIW, I absolutely loved batch #3 (still have 1), and I have a batch #9 open that I really like, but I’ve yet to see a batch #10 or #11. Oh well. Out with the old year, and in with the new. Same as it ever was. :P

Cheers and Happy New Year to one and all! Joe

• I like it 4

Just opened a EHT SiB. That’s some good stuff. I have always enjoyed the small batch and this goes right along with it. Yet to be disappointed by the Taylor line.

• I like it 4

Opened a bottle of Stagg Jr.  Too lazy to post a picture.   You can google it if you would like.

• I like it 3

Opened a bottle of RY10 last night to say goodbye to 2018. Thought about opening something different or "special" but went with something I haven't had in the last few months. I'm still mad at myself for not buying more of this when it came out in 2016 thinking it was just more hype for bad whiskey. Glad I woke up and tried it before it was too late to somewhat stock up on it.

• I like it 2

Decided it was time to pull a couple of wheaters from the bunker. The RYSB seems like even more a bargain at $50 considering what HH is now charging for similarly aged Old Fitz.

Thinking of Old Fitz the MM PS was a selection from a group of local Houston restaurants and bars. They where trying to replicate a bottle of 65 Old Fitz that one of the bar owners has. I think you’ll enjoy reading this from a quote in an article about it.

“The first selection makes its debut this week at both restaurant groups' businesses. They selected a barrel of Maker’s Mark Private Select that uses 10 staves with different levels of char to recreate the flavor of a 1965 bottle of Old Fitzgerald that’s part of Weber’s personal collection. Old Fitz is a product of the legendary Stitzel-Weller distillery that also created Pappy Van Winkle.

“Morgan brought up that the Van Winkle family helped Bill Samuels start Maker’s Mark,” Floyd says. “He gave Bill the recipes, the yeast, and the still design. Makers is probably the closest to the old Stitzel Weller flavor that still exists.”

Floyd hadn’t had the opportunity to taste the final product, but he’s optimistic they’ve come as close to recreating the flavor as possible. That’s good news for fans of “old dusties,” the bourbon enthusiast nickname for prized bottles of antique spirits, who otherwise might not get to experience the differences between the taste of it and newer products.”

IMG_6002.JPG

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Old Fitz is a product of the legendary Stitzel-Weller distillery that also created Pappy Van Winkle.

“Morgan brought up that the Van Winkle family helped Bill Samuels start Maker’s Mark,” Floyd says. “He gave Bill the recipes, the yeast, and the still design. Makers is probably the closest to the old Stitzel Weller flavor that still exists.”

Floyd hadn’t had the opportunity to taste the final product, but he’s optimistic they’ve come as close to recreating the flavor as possible. That’s good news for fans of “old dusties,” the bourbon enthusiast nickname for prized bottles of antique spirits, who otherwise might not get to experience the differences between the taste of it and newer products.”

Hey!    What better way to jump-start interest in your Private Pick than to align it with not just one; but TWO  revered old brands (and current objects of desire) .... Not that anybody really needs to prime-pump the Bourbon market to sell a decently selected private pick.   But, allowing for the generous price hike that remarks like the above can allow certainly may aid the profit margin.   Do you know the price per bottle... or per pour, that will be exacted by the folx with control of these bottles?

Hey!    What better way to jump-start interest in your Private Pick than to align it with not just one; but TWO  revered old brands (and current objects of desire) .... Not that anybody really needs to prime-pump the Bourbon market to sell a decently selected private pick.   But, allowing for the generous price hike that remarks like the above can allow certainly may aid the profit margin.   Do you know the price per bottle... or per pour, that will be exacted by the folx with control of these bottles?

Price was I believe $65, $2-$3 more than most stores with MM PS in the area but that had more to do with the wine store that had these as everything is a few dollars more. The remarkable part is what they sold retail sold out in a couple hours while other MM PS picks tend to sit for months or some over a year. Price for a pour at the steakhouse is $20 as compared to around $70 for BTAC or $10 for 1792 FP, SW, HR or BiB.

These guys are middle of the pack In my opinion. There’s definitely groups and bars/restaurants here that are less knowledgeable and charging more ridiculous prices. At the other end you have Poison Girl and few other bars owned by an SBer with the best selection and pricing.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Radioyada said:

New year, new bottle opening. 

7C3934C9-1F0E-4D41-9AE4-FC08CC1D12A9.jpeg

Interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Price was I believe $65, $2-$3 more than most stores with MM PS in the area but that had more to do with the wine store that had these as everything is a few dollars more. The remarkable part is what they sold retail sold out in a couple hours while other MM PS picks tend to sit for months or some over a year. Price for a pour at the steakhouse is $20 as compared to around $70 for BTAC or $10 for 1792 FP, SW, HR or BiB.

These guys are middle of the pack In my opinion. There’s definitely groups and bars/restaurants here that are less knowledgeable and charging more ridiculous prices. At the other end you have Poison Girl and few other bars owned by an SBer with the best selection and pricing.

Ahh, pretty darned reasonable in today's 'Bourbon-Mad' economy.   Sounds nice.

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I've heard this before but I have never experienced that this is even remotely true in terms of flavor similarity. 

I have some older SW wheated bourbon, and MM tastes nothing like it. For one thing, I really like the SW. 

BTs wheaters are WAY closer to SW than MM is.

Yeah I mean I have no reason to doubt that Van Winkle family helped the Samuels but think it’s unlikely they shared there yeast. Also I wouldn’t know but highly doubt and hope that modern day MM isn’t the closest thing to old SW bourbon.

Opened a bottle of FRSB OESK from Gordon's Wine in Boston tonight. I bought this last month mainly because I love the K yeast with OBSK being my favorite recipe. At 10 years and 4 months, this is the oldest release I have seen from a Private Select Barrel in a long time.

7 hours ago, elmossle said:

Opened a bottle of FRSB OESK from Gordon's Wine in Boston tonight. I bought this last month mainly because I love the K yeast with OBSK being my favorite recipe. At 10 years and 4 months, this is the oldest release I have seen from a Private Select Barrel in a long time.

Holy shit Gordon's had a K!? During lunch break then...

20 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

It was a very good first pour.  I am not one to think too much about all the nuances of what I am drinking, only if I like it or not and how much I like it compared to my other choices.  As far as my experiences with Four Roses have gone, this is in my top three of what I have tasted.  My favorites so far in the 4R world are the 2017 LE small batch, and the 10Y 6M OESV that my favorite LS picked.

I was just glad that I found a bottle, and it was not priced according to the secondary market.

• I like it 1

Cracked a dusty 2007 WTKS from warehouse B that I had laying around in the bunker.  Sweet mother of God this one is good.  Also surprised that the cork came out unscathed.

IMG_1718.JPG

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.