What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What do these taste like? I have passed a few, not sure on whether to pick up. I had bad experiences with Rowan’s creek, Noah’s mill, and anything Dickel.

Ok all the Dickel comments y’all had scared me off.

23 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

What do these taste like? I have passed a few, not sure on whether to pick up. I had bad experiences with Rowan’s creek, Noah’s mill, and anything Dickel.

Well...  It does taste like Dickel IMO, but you do get the hickory notes in it that tone down that vitamin profile for me.  However they don’t take over the profile either.  It’s pretty unique stuff, but it does it in an elegant way, if that makes any sense.   I’ve read that some think that this is Dickel that hasn’t been through the Lincoln County process.  Maybe that’s been discounted by now, but if it hasn’t, it’s went through two different charcoal filterings.  Sugar maple, & hickory.  Whatever it is, or whatever they do...I really enjoy it.  

Opened up a bottle of ECBP A118 this evening. I was so happy it was the end of the week and looking forward to spending time with the family. Then, trying to negotiate/settle on a location for a trip to the beach this summer with family was enough to call in reinforcements.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I’ve only seen the February ‘18 bottles of this. How is it?

It's deliciously outstanding!

10 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

image.jpg

Didn't know this was available outside 'The Mitten State'.   What do you think of it?

Took a flyer on this one. I just get young and corn. Very Old Barton like but not as good for twice as much. Binny’s shoppers, I’d personally recommend against. Maybe it needs time to open up (I hope). IMG_0378.jpg

It’s not a bourbon, but MWND is absolutely phenomenal. I wish that I would have grabbed two bottles, because it’s not going to last very long. 

2B92114B-234B-4106-9E35-4B004BEDA9DD.jpeg

CC143D2A-F871-42EC-9F74-A8BAB8F27324.jpeg

• I like it 1

IMG_0379.jpg

Emptied a couple yesterday so needed to fill the space on the bar. The OCD tendencies won’t allow for open spots so opened a Christmas present.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

The OCD tendencies won’t allow for open spots

When you get to my level, you spend a lot of time going through the bunker seeing what fits into said space, and then trying to decide which of those that fit to open.

It takes awhile sometimes.  Occasionally within that process, I'll finish another bottle and gain more space.  Then the process might start over again with one bigger bottle, or two of the same size as ones finished.  It's definitely a bad geometry game.  Everything is in line to be opened, but said order simply does not exist.

:(

Oh, and handles (1.75ml's) are strictly forbidden.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

48 minutes ago, 0895 said:

When you get to my level, you spend a lot of time going through the bunker seeing what fits into said space, and then trying to decide which of those that fit to open.

It takes awhile sometimes.  Occasionally within that process, I'll finish another bottle and gain more space.  Then the process might start over again with one bigger bottle, or two of the same size as ones finished.  It's definitely a bad geometry game.  Everything is in line to be opened, but said order simply does not exist.

:(

Oh, and handles (1.75ml's) are strictly forbidden.

I understand exactly where you’re coming from. My only disagreement is about handles. Handles can be decanted. Hence the reason I keep a couple of empty 750’s, 375’s and 200’s around. They can also be used for blending. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My only disagreement is about handles. Handles can be decanted. Hence the reason I keep a couple of empty 750’s, 375’s and 200’s around. They can also be used for blending. ^_^

Biba! Joe

I guess I should clarify that handles are forbidden on my "opens" shelf.

I have one of those ridiculous 1.75 pot still bottles in the dining room.

and if I ever come across a 1.75 of ER10, that's probably coming home with me as well.

Definitely keep some smalls around to decant bottles down and blend.

:)

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I guess I should clarify that handles are forbidden on my "opens" shelf.

I have one of those ridiculous 1.75 pot still bottles in the dining room.

and if I ever come across a 1.75 of ER10, that's probably coming home with me as well.

Definitely keep some smalls around to decant bottles down and blend.

:)

“Atta boy Luther!”  

Opened a bottle of New Riff SiB PS CS.  Pretty good.  A little young but overall very tasty.

12 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Opened a bottle of New Riff SiB PS CS.  Pretty good.  A little young but overall very tasty.

My impression as well.  Another couple of years in barrel will probably turn it from good to great. 

Well, since my family sized bottle of Joe's 2018 Weller Blend was starting to get a little low, I figured it was a pretty good idea to remedy that situation. "Know what I mean Vern?" :D I already had a SR open, but I opened the 12 and Antique. 

Biba! Joe

blend1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Had this bottle for awhile and thought this random Wednesday was as good a time as any to crack it open. Im not a big fan of regular 1792, but the BIB is pretty good stuff IMO.

20190116_201943.jpg

Edited by Jfletchgu

On 1/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, Whiskey Junkie said:

This was initially a bit peanut forward but as it sat in the glass for 10 minutes it was a very nice well balanced vanilla, caramel, cinnamon and just a hint of peanut in the background.  Pleasantly surprised how good this tastes.  I have a second in the bunker along with a 9 year and should be an interesting side by side in the future

image.jpg

You've got the batched Mayor Pingree. They also make single barrels too, which have a blue label. I've got a bottle of one of the isngle barrels open and it's really nice. I love MGP stuff, but it's amongst some of the best MGP stuff i've had (including SAOS, Belle Meade, etc). They are pricey though, at around $100 in the Murder Mitten. I've seen it at Binny's a couple of years ago, in Chicago, but I don't think it's widely distributed. Glad to hear you like it!

J. Henry and Sons Patton Road Reserve cask strength. This is 119 proof, 5 years. So far it's decent. Not great, but I didn't expect it to be mind blowing for 5yr old craft whiskey. It's a bit corn forward on the finish, but I think it may open up a bit with more air time. This was around $70-80 when I got it in 2017.

They have a wine finished one called Bellefontaine that may be interesting to try. Anybody have that? I think they even have a 7yr age stated bottle out now too.

IMG_8282.thumb.JPG.b163f6f81303ac49622d014db688f108.JPG

Opened a bottle of Cassius Clay while testing out steaks with the Anova sous vide.  

Cassius Clay doesn’t get a lot of great reviews, but it is surprisingly smooth for 100 proof. Easy drinking with a nice Carmel flavor and very little burn. I’d probably buy one of these again for the bar. It’s great for new bourbon drinkers and looks cool with the cannon top.

AF07A3DA-7AEB-46E7-AF16-F71354748E23.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.