What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, afmadd said:

How is the I W Harper?

The decanter style bottle is awesome. I’m not a big fan of the juice. It is interesting to drink 15 year old bourbon and taste the oak and all the flavors but it overall fell flat. I would give it a “C”. Bottle style was an “A” though. 

• I like it 2

Boondocks 8 year port finished. This is quite nice, better than I expected. Easy to drink at 90 proof and still has a nice, but not overpowering port finish to it.

I think Binnys and some other places have single barrel picks of this stuff. I may consider getting one if I see it, since this bottle is a good pour for ~$45.

Opened up my bottle of the first BiB from a local distillery. I have to say I am impressed on how easy it is to drink, and it has a very good flavor profile for being 4 years old. Really looking forward to a few years from now to see some older bottling.

DB715928-9EE1-474E-926F-329A01A41AC7.jpeg

952854EC-459F-41BA-BB69-127A8F1D3253.jpeg

• I like it 3

I’ve haven't been a Blanton’s fan for some time, but I bought one back in January and opened it tonight. Not bad at all, a little better then I expected. 

22EC9F9D-E3AF-460A-A729-CB8510B4D8EA.thumb.jpeg.a014284d43b98213bf7134f0b23bb046.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Opened up my bottle of the first BiB from a local distillery. I have to say I am impressed on how easy it is to drink, and it has a very good flavor profile for being 4 years old. Really looking forward to a few years from now to see some older bottling.

952854EC-459F-41BA-BB69-127A8F1D3253.jpeg

I had one open at the GBS irish Whiskey night and I while my expectation wasn't high I was still a little disappointed. I hope they get there but they aren't there yet. A SBS with Early Times BIB at half the price blew it away. 

Really nice bottle though! That has got to be worth something...

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 3

Cracked an OWA single barrel from LMDW , a French retailer, one liter bottle for, be ready, 89€. Yeah Europe is freaking expensive when it comes to American whiskey. But, let’s forget the price here for a minute. This stuff is quality product, coating the glass right away, the nose is deserty, spicy, not overpowering, the proof is just perfect, on the palate, even if the finish is not long enough for me, it’s freaky tasty. Pretty happy to have 2 liters for my personal enjoyment. 

Will probably pouring something else now, cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 3

While nothing to call home about, it’s spicy, delicate, & reasonably better than the std.  version.   I like it, in a solid B minus kinda way. 

B10D75AC-F4F6-4985-9FBF-B0A6247822AF.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

I didn’t waste any time on this one I bought today. One of the few Turkey products I haven’t tried. Wow it is excellent! The price seems a bit high at $57.99, but the bottle makes me smile. I’m going to go ahead and say it’s worth it. 

7349035F-3B38-4EBA-A846-9060243ABDB4.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

While nothing to call home about, it’s spicy, delicate, & reasonably better than the std.  version.   I like it, in a solid B minus kinda way. 

B10D75AC-F4F6-4985-9FBF-B0A6247822AF.jpeg

It's incredibly disappointing to me that Bulleit managed to take a 12 year old rye and make it average.

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, flahute said:

It's incredibly disappointing to me that Bulleit managed to take a 12 year old rye and make it average.

No kidding.  

It's probably priced fairly at $45 if you consider the old SAOS 7/99 rye was about the same price when it was more common.

I really need to do a sbs w/ my open SAOS rye, just for comparison.

The Bulleit 12 is just lacking any kind of complexity or depth.  It is a newly opened bottle though, so I do factor that in.

At least Diageo didn't try to make an orphan barrel product out of it for $100 per.

Edited by 0895

Opened this to celebrate knocking of Duke and a trip to the Final Four for my Spartans. I’ve been sitting on this one for a while waiting to give it a try....Too many open bottles at the moment, but I needed something new for the occasion. 

EDFFEE34-6D85-47DE-8D32-93E08900EFE6.jpeg

• I like it 2

I opened a bottle of BT to replace the one I just finished. :P

Biba! Joe

My first experience with batch #9.... Neat.

nose is a yummy cherry bomb.  Wow. Tons going on.... cherry, cherry, cherr

Initial tasting... oily, brown sugar, dark cherries & coconut. Barrel and graham cracker. 

Sooooo good.  I’m glad I have 3 of these bunkered

• I like it 4

23 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

My first experience with batch #9.... Neat.

nose is a yummy cherry bomb.  Wow. Tons going on.... cherry, cherry, cherr

Initial tasting... oily, brown sugar, dark cherries & coconut. Barrel and graham cracker. 

Sooooo good.  I’m glad I have 3 of these bunkered

I have a bottle of this open and it's great.  Absolutely stellar.  If you like it now, wait until it's been open for a week or two.  It gets even better, IMO.

• I like it 4

On 3/24/2019 at 11:37 PM, Adam777 said:

The decanter style bottle is awesome. I’m not a big fan of the juice. It is interesting to drink 15 year old bourbon and taste the oak and all the flavors but it overall fell flat. I would give it a “C”. Bottle style was an “A” though. 

I would definitely agree with this statement! Love the bottle but the juice isn’t even close to the $$. 

IMG_4807.jpg

Hoping I like the Binny’s pick. Was pretty unimpressed with the regular bottle I had which surprised me given the love it gets on here.

• I like it 1

It was on the shelf stickered at 22.99, but all the others were 27.99...so I picked it up and opened tonight. 7yr 10mths, it's a tad hot for 86.6 and hard edged. Hopefully it will develop a little with time.

IMG_0856.JPG

I opened up  WTKS PS yesterday, from warehouse "B."   Has the previous WT profile. It is like going home. :-))

Cheers

• I like it 2

I’m not typically a fan of Dickel juice, but this one is pretty good. Definitely better than past experiences with Dickel.

4D77C08F-A614-48D8-965C-5F4428CD38CA.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, JSpartan said:

I’m not typically a fan of Dickel juice, but this one is pretty good. Definitely better than past experiences with Dickel.

4D77C08F-A614-48D8-965C-5F4428CD38CA.jpeg

Lovin' on the classy glassware!   Great season for the Green & White; but a disappointing end.

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've never seen this in MD.  For $35.00, it's worth a shot.

pure kentucky.jpg

Skinsfan1311, I've been a huge fan of PKXO for years. When I pour it for friends for the first time, most love it. An overlooked treasure, IMO.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, WillyP said:

Skinsfan1311, I've been a huge fan of PKXO for years. When I pour it for friends for the first time, most love it. An overlooked treasure, IMO.

Agreed.

It's really good.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.