What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

EC 10yr store pick. It’s a little sweeter and less oaky than most EC which I like, guess maybe more of a EW profile? It seems a bit watered down though. The barrel proof was 142 so maybe that had something to do with it.

IMG_6190.JPG

• I like it 2

On 2/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, smokinjoe said:

Impressed here, too.  In fact, it was my personal “ Whiskey of the Year” for 2018.  

I'll second that

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

EC 10yr store pick. It’s a little sweeter and less oaky than most EC which I like, guess maybe more of a EW profile? It seems a bit watered down though. The barrel proof was 142 so maybe that had something to do with it.

IMG_6190.JPG

Is that a Poison Girl selection?

Is that a Poison Girl selection?

No but it’s another Houston pick. I think the distributor for the area must use those stickers for all the EC picks. This one ain’t bad but I liked the Poison Girl picks better.

With so many bottles running dry this week, it is time to restock the cabinet. So instead of posting a picture each time I opened a bottle this weekend and next week, I figured a group photo was more appropriate. However, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to open first. Maybe you all could help me make a decision?IMG_2030.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

With so many bottles running dry this week, it is time to restock the cabinet. So instead of posting a picture each time I opened a bottle this weekend and next week, I figured a group photo was more appropriate. However, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to open first. Maybe you all could help me make a decision?IMG_2030.jpg

Great lineup! Is that little book chapter 2? If you have never tried I’d say give that one a go.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

No but it’s another Houston pick. I think the distributor for the area must use those stickers for all the EC picks. This one ain’t bad but I liked the Poison Girl picks better.

Ah!  

With so many bottles running dry this week, it is time to restock the cabinet. So instead of posting a picture each time I opened a bottle this weekend and next week, I figured a group photo was more appropriate. However, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to open first. Maybe you all could help me make a decision?IMG_2030.thumb.jpg.425dcceaf7c5be71471346b0deed01eb.jpg

Casting my vote for the Longbranch to be opened dead last. It wasn’t exactly terrible but compared to most of the rest there...it’s terrible. As far as first, I’d go with the Old Fitz purely based on jealousy of me wanting one.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Great lineup! Is that little book chapter 2? If you have never tried I’d say give that one a go.

It is Chapter 1. I can still find a few bottle of #2 if I want them. I have been passing on them since I haven't tried #1 but that will change soon enough.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Casting my vote for the Longbranch to be opened dead last. It wasn’t exactly terrible but compared to most of the rest there...it’s terrible. As far as first, I’d go with the Old Fitz purely based on jealousy of me wanting one.

Thanks. I am more curious about Longbranch than anything. Not sure how it will be compared to what I like and am used to with Wild Turkey. They are all going to be opened and emptied at some point thankfully, but hitting the Old Fitz does sound like a good idea.

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, elmossle said:

It is Chapter 1. I can still find a few bottle of #2 if I want them. I have been passing on them since I haven't tried #1 but that will change soon enough.

Skip batch 1 and get the batch #2!  ;)

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

Get #2! It is very tasty...

• I like it 1

Skip batch 1 and get the batch #2!  [emoji6]

Get #2! It is very tasty...

I wouldn’t say skip batch #1, because I liked it well enough. However, I know some on here aren’t big fans. Having said that, I’ll agree that batch #2 is very good, but also very different than batch #1. I’d definitely recommend picking up a bottle of batch #2 while you still can if it’s at retail prices.
  • I like it 2

A random Wathen's barrel proof.  First pour definitely has some redeeming qualities but also carries with it a certain barrel funk that I'm not digging.  Too bad, because other Wathen's BP I've had were really excellent.  We'll see how this one works with some airtime.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:32 PM, elmossle said:

I haven’t tried Little Book or Longbranch so I’d try one of them first. 

A random Wathen's barrel proof.  First pour definitely has some redeeming qualities but also carries with it a certain barrel funk that I'm not digging.  Too bad, because other Wathen's BP I've had were really excellent.  We'll see how this one works with some airtime.

Do you pick up anything that indicates BT?

On 1/20/2019 at 6:05 PM, silverc said:

Hi Nancy, thank you for taking the time to write such a through response. It's great to hear some of the more technical details on how these products are made and the thought and style that goes into producing and blending them. The red corn does give it a unique flavor profile.

I will keep an eye out for the Bellefontaine the next time I am in the Chicago area, as it seems like Binny's and some other stores there carry some of the J. Henry line. I really like the finish on the Patton Road, but it seemed like the nose and palate were a bit closed when I first tried it. Since then I've tried it again and it's changed a lot (for the better) and I think that it just needs to open up some. My bottle specifically is from Batch B115, 118.0 proof. About two weeks after I bought it, I noticed the Bellefontaine started being available in Chicago shops. I wasn't expecting to get a chance to try it, as I am rarely in Chicago and none of the J. Henry stuff is available around VA or surrounding states. Do you know if they plan to offer the Bellefontaine as a regular product, or was it a one-off?

Sorry @silverc, you asked me this question last month and for the life of me I can't recall whether or not I answered you back, so please forgive me if this is redundant. I'll have to dig into my production notes, but I'll try to look up your particular batch of the Patton Road and report back. You are right, it is a bourbon that needs to open up over time. 

Yes, the Bellefontaine Reserve is a regular product. In fact, batch #3 should be coming out before too long. I just tasted a sample of it last month, and it is coming along very well. 

Cheers,

Nancy

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Do you pick up anything that indicates BT?

Not really.  This one has more in common with a funky EWSiB I had a long time ago.  Not what I was looking for.

Not really.  This one has more in common with a funky EWSiB I had a long time ago.  Not what I was looking for.

Assuming this is from Houston the said purveyor of this pick had mentioned that he’s almost convinced it BT as the source when he tastes it. To be fair I think he mentioned that for there last pick.

This came from Goody Goody in Dallas.  I don't know who picked it and it doesn't have a store name on the label.

Opened my one-and-only bottle of Booker's 30th Anniversary. 

I had previously tasted a wee sample and was on the fence about getting this at the rather dear cost; but decided to jump after all, even though I was kinda underwhelmed with my wee taste... pretty woody, and not a typical Booker's profile, with a somewhat disappointing finish. 

Anyway, I had a small pour, and found it a little better than I had expected, and further; found that water improves it a great deal.   And, even though the proof isn't particularly high (125.8) it took additions of water and continued to improve up to about 25% water!    So, looking ahead I'll likely try it over a cube next time and experience the changes as they evolve.    Ultimately a pretty nice pour at around 25% dilution.

...The finish, however continues to seem subpar, at least to me, today.

My fiance picked this up for me for Valentine's Day. Admittedly this is my first time trying anything 4R! I have to say I am a fan, it's a bit spicier than most of my other bourbons, not to say that is a bad thing by any means, but I can definitely taste the rye spice here!

I couldn't post this without pointing out the fact that I got the short end of the stick... I had to buy a dozen roses, and she only had to buy four. 

4RSiB.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, pouringwhiskey said:

My fiance picked this up for me for Valentine's Day. Admittedly this is my first time trying anything 4R! I have to say I am a fan, it's a bit spicier than most of my other bourbons, not to say that is a bad thing by any means, but I can definitely taste the rye spice here!

I couldn't post this without pointing out the fact that I got the short end of the stick... I had to buy a dozen roses, and she only had to buy four. 

4RSiB.jpg

Somehow the math works out in your favor when I use my calculator.

Just now, beasled said:

Quite frankly one of the best Turkeys I've had. Deep, rich, sweet, just perfection. 

20190215_214021.jpg

Been awhile since I saw one of those, ugly label, real pretty whiskey!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.