What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heaven Hill night! 6 different store picks. I know one is 8yr, one 9, and one 11. No info on other three. ECBP A117 And B518 for good measure. Not pictured but also opening a HMK10, EC12 rear label, and this years PHC Orange Curaçao.

Will be alternating most nights between this HH stock and the blind 4R bottles that I have been letting get some air. 

80F4729C-033F-4B9C-BAD2-EE675BE920CA.jpeg

• I like it 8

1792 BiB store barrel that I picked up today. I need to open what I buy the same day more often.  This one's good, pretty much what you'd expect (proofed down from the FP expression but with the same profile).

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, 0895 said:

All the WT101 talk lately convinced me to go out and get some. 

It’s an “LLGK” coded bottle, and it’s pretty darn good.

For $27/handle, this is a bargain. 

19F0857D-05CA-4641-91B9-053BE182D922.jpeg

The juice inside tastes better but I sure miss the handle!

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I 100% agree with you on missing the handle. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

$27 a handle! Wow! That’s an amazing price. 

That is amazing. That's what we pay for a 750.

Heaven Hill night! 6 different store picks. I know one is 8yr, one 9, and one 11. No info on other three. ECBP A117 And B518 for good measure. Not pictured but also opening a HMK10, EC12 rear label, and this years PHC Orange Curaçao.

Will be alternating most nights between this HH stock and the blind 4R bottles that I have been letting get some air. 
80F4729C-033F-4B9C-BAD2-EE675BE920CA.thumb.jpeg.6897a77b1a39cbb0dbc1c0d66d00fb56.jpeg

Wow this needs more love, quite an opening.
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

$27 a handle! Wow! That’s an amazing price. 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

That is amazing. That's what we pay for a 750.

It was a "sale" to be fair.

MO is definitely blessed with some of the cheapest prices I've ever seen on certain products.

4R is ridiculously cheap here too, but I fear that may be changing soon.

24 minutes ago, 0895 said:

It was a "sale" to be fair.

MO is definitely blessed with some of the cheapest prices I've ever seen on certain products.

4R is ridiculously cheap here too, but I fear that may be changing soon.

Was this from a LS, Costco, Kroger?.

Was having some small pours of 4R OESF and OBSQ. Decided to go into the bunker for a OBSV. I think the Vs are my favorite. Figured while I was bunker diving I’d pull out a few others mostly rye as I currently have nada open.

IMG_6156.JPG

• I like it 2

On 2/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, Kepler said:

I know!  WTF!  What's a handle without a handle?...

• I like it 1

Not opened today, but recently.  

RRSiB PS. This is from the bunker. 

Warehouse "D". Good stuff. 

Cheers

Last night I finished a bottle of Boondocks 8YO Bourbon Port Cask Finish. It was a Christmas gift. It was decent but I wouldn’t purchase a bottle, especially at the price it goes for in California.

Today, I just opened another gift, Noah’s Mill.

D5E88BA1-C504-404A-A7FC-16542F79A40F.jpeg

CEHT SmB showed up at the wine and spirits department of a NKC supermarket last week. I grabbed a bottle at $45 and texted Gurgalunas to tell him to get the last one left. He replied, telling me that the wine and spirits department of another store from the same chain had two bottles at $39. I've got to change my bottle search strategy.

Anyways, I opened up my latest find this afternoon and it was just a smooth and pleasant drinking as ever. It's just one of those bottles that many of us could happily settle down with for a long time, if we could find a steady supply.

• I like it 1

We opened a Rowan’s Creek during the game. I remembered from years ago that I disliked it. Confirmed. Just really unbalanced and confused.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, Commodore said:

Last night I finished a bottle of Boondocks 8YO Bourbon Port Cask Finish. It was a Christmas gift. It was decent but I wouldn’t purchase a bottle, especially at the price it goes for in California.

Today, I just opened another gift, Noah’s Mill.

How did the NM seem to you?   In past years it was wonderful pour.    Some folx in recent times have been disappointed; but some have been satisfied, which leads me to wonder about their batching/blending.

In keeping with my New Years resolution to stop saving my better bottles for imaginary special occasions, I popped this puppy open.  It’s a “James” bottle anyway, so it wasn’t really fitting in around here with...

holy crap this is good!

(please note the SA glencairn for bonus points)

:)

08E04B81-3E70-472F-90F4-57C17963D09D.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

In keeping with my New Years resolution to stop saving my better bottles for imaginary special occasions, I popped this puppy open.  It’s a “James” bottle anyway, so it wasn’t really fitting in around here with...

holy crap this is good!

(please note the SA glencairn for bonus points)

:)

08E04B81-3E70-472F-90F4-57C17963D09D.jpeg

Geez. That looks good. Cant bring myself to open mine just yet. So James did alright? 

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

How did the NM seem to you?   In past years it was wonderful pour.    Some folx in recent times have been disappointed; but some have been satisfied, which leads me to wonder about their batching/blending.

They got cut off from their usual supply chain for NM a couple years ago and have had to pull from a variety of alternative sources, including their own distillate, to keep it on the shelves. This leads to a lot of variation.

20 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Geez. That looks good. Cant bring myself to open mine just yet. So James did alright? 

You should open that bottle.  The happy memories will still be there when it's gone.

This is some of the most well balanced MGP rye that I've had in a long time.  The usual flavors are all there, but the spices are all in perfect harmony with each other.  Even the dill has restrained itself and is blending in nicely.  Batch #61 if I rememberer right.  I'm not getting up to look though right now...:P

1792 FP PS. This is much better than my first bottle I had of this. A lot of juicy red fruit notes where my first bottle was just dry, hot, and mean. The Barton banana note is in there but subdued. It was well worth the $35 sale price. Don't know that I'd buy it again at its regular $50-ish price, though.

20190204_213727-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.