What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, mwmac said:

Are you wrapping the stoppers in parafilm?

No. They are wrapped in saran style wrap. These were shipped to me so that's the way they came.

Relatively new to the bourbon scene (ie. less than a year - longtime scotch drinker) and this is my first post .  Have to say it's been fun hunting (and costly) thus far and I've really enjoyed everyone's posts here.  

Here's what I purchased today.  ER @ $32.99, EHT SmB @ $44.99 each, WSR @ $24.99, OWA pint @ $14.99.

Bourbon 1-29-2019.JPG

Edited by Whitewhale
  • I like it 9

I caved and bought a 1792 FP PS today. Store had a sale for $35. I wasn't crazy about my first bottle of this had but I thought I'd try again at this price.

20190130_165614-784x1514.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I caved and bought a 1792 FP PS today. Store had a sale for $35. I wasn't crazy about my first bottle of this had but I thought I'd try again at this price.

Hope its a good one.  I have not had much success with most of the 1792 line. 

3 hours ago, Whitewhale said:

Relatively new to the bourbon scene (ie. less than a year - longtime scotch drinker) and this is my first post .  Have to say it's been fun hunting (and costly) thus far and I've really enjoyed everyone's posts here.  

Here's what I purchased today.  ER @ $32.99, EHT SmB @ $44.99 each, WSR @ $24.99, OWA pint @ $14.99.

Nice pick ups Newman! Haven't seen a 375ml OWA like that, guessing it's an older bottle. Anyone know for sure?

18 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Nice pick ups Newman! Haven't seen a 375ml OWA like that, guessing it's an older bottle. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think it's old. That's what BT was allocating to all the ABCs here in NE FL.  Every store sold out in a flash.  

3 hours ago, Whitewhale said:

Bourbon 1-29-2019.JPG

I agree with Vosgar, nice pickups!  I haven't seen that 375 ml bottle before either but the cap looks similar to the bottles before the newest versions of the 750 ml bottles.

I agree with Vosgar, nice pickups!  I haven't seen that 375 ml bottle before either but the cap looks similar to the bottles before the newest versions of the 750 ml bottles.

I haven’t seen an OWA 375, pint or half point in Houston but the WSR are at every store. The WSR still have the old label as well. I guess they’ve only updated packaging for the full size bottles.

They also had the WSR in a 375ml few weeks ago ($12).  I pick up anything Weller so...

wsr pint.JPG

Edited by Whitewhale
  • I like it 2

14 hours ago, Tuck said:

Picked up a bottle of WT 101 LL/GJ date code. 

I also picked up a bottle of WT101 today. My code was LL/GH. Personally I think 101 is terrible, but it has been a few years since I last tried it. With all of the praise the recent batches have been getting, I decided it was worth it on a 375ml bottle. 

40 minutes ago, elmossle said:

I also picked up a bottle of WT101 today. My code was LL/GH. Personally I think 101 is terrible, but it has been a few years since I last tried it. With all of the praise the recent batches have been getting, I decided it was worth it on a 375ml bottle. 

Here's hoping you come to your senses ;) 

• I like it 3

1855BD44-C90F-4317-9985-E552364016AF.thumb.jpeg.25cf170330dea3a2ab978b991cc1f5e2.jpeg

There are really nice/generous people out there. A nice gentleman just sent me those unicorns tears in exchange of nothing, just talked with him about my Stagg addiction and he told me he was bout to open a ‘08 GTS soon and asked for my address to send me some. A 4oz sample, how generous this is, he added a 2oz sample of 1989 WT Beyond Duplication, unbelievable. He don’t want anything in return. God bless his heart. Cheers!

Will.

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, elmossle said:

I think it is excellent myself. 

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've had a few picks of 1792 FP, and while one of 'em wasn't special (it was quite good though) the rest were all somewhere in the "stellar" range.

Hell, even the ordinary shelf offerings of FP have been just fine for my taste buddies. 

In fact, I'm gonna have a bottle out for Super Sunday along with a few other fine and/or rare offerings, and I'm certain it'll hold it's own.

• I like it 1

So... I broke some of my personal buying rules today. 1 don't pay more than 25% above retail 2. Don't buy shelf trophies. I can't imagine opening this one and was surprised to see it in Midtown Manhattan at a retail store, the price paid was $100, it rang up at double that and they agreed to honor the price. I hesitated for about 10 minutes and pulled the trigger and truth be told I don't regret it, hopefully I didn't open a door that can't be closed but I'm pretty sure I'm a big enough cheapskate that it won't be an issue. 

y4mvbFo2z-uJ3Xbu3VRroXQ3cUsxnJMIGuZNkfdb

• I like it 9

19 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

So... I broke some of my personal buying rules today. 1 don't pay more than 25% above retail 2. Don't buy shelf trophies. I can't imagine opening this one and was surprised to see it in Midtown Manhattan at a retail store, the price paid was $100, it rang up at double that and they agreed to honor the price. I hesitated for about 10 minutes and pulled the trigger and truth be told I don't regret it, hopefully I didn't open a door that can't be closed but I'm pretty sure I'm a big enough cheapskate that it won't be an issue. 

Well Kevin, just In case you didn’t know, the ETL 93rd Commemorative is purty dog goned good. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

y4mvbFo2z-uJ3Xbu3VRroXQ3cUsxnJMIGuZNkfdb

I had this as my wedding day hip flask pour a few years back and have a back up bottle saved for an anniversary.  I'd have bought at that price! 

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, beasled said:

I had this as my wedding day hip flask pour a few years back and have a back up bottle saved for an anniversary.  I'd have bought at that price! 

I bought 2 when released and if I recall I paid $50ish.  I’d have paid $100 today without thinking twice.  The three extra proof points are alone worth the premium!?!

Edited by El Vino
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

That's a good price for that bottle these days. I got a few of them for $37 back when they first came out but their value has gone thru the roof. Bonus is that it's darn good whiskey!

• I like it 1

I literally have no idea what is going on, I just walked into another store I frequent all the time and they had a shelf full of KO Rye batch one for $119 I actually left it all behind but will surely be going back for a couple.  What I did buy is going to get posted in the dusty thread and the Scotch thread.

• I like it 2

Brought some twins home tonight. 

One from a lotto type thing tonight & one that a friend generously picked up for me while traveling.   Happy to have a couple backups again, after opening my last non store pick OWA on New Year’s Eve for my friends that are newly into bourbon. 

Weller Antique was basically non existent in my town last year.

Yeah, I know.  First world problems indeed. 

0EC6B54E-B9AD-426D-A1AA-D6072FE8844B.jpeg

• I like it 2

IMG_0813.thumb.jpg.4868400b2f0c508b89e8c905065bb6b8.jpg

Kudos to @Mako254 on the RR SiB recommendation. Think and spicy, just awesome turkey. I had hard decisions to make today. There were 2 other RR SiB picks and 1 bottle of Stagg Jr for $55. I went with what was the most hard to come by.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.