What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Let us know how it is, eh?    The mashbill is intriguing... fairly high rye, and fairly high malted barley as well.   Should be interesting (I hope).

I’ll post my thoughts later... just poured my first.

Update:  Wow.  Different.  The initial nose is an artificial sweetness like a mix of grape jelly and vinyl.  The taste is exactly like the nose. Grape jelly sweetness with a slightly spicy finish.  I can’t decide if I like it a lot or not at all lol.  

Ok.... I like it.  Paid $20.99

B6BA25A8-3235-428D-A523-3E3D8B32BDD6.jpeg

Edited by Curtis Reed
  • I like it 1

And...grabbed another WSR at the low price. That’s 5 in reserve now. For some reason I don’t feel like it’s enough. I’ll keep buying at

You can always share with me! Never seen in Michigan.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, flahute said:

My local just got two barrels of EC in. They were also supposed to arrive in time for the holidays. We picked them in August of last year.

I don't think the shutdown had anything to do with it. Heaven Hill was just being super slow.

I tend to agree with you, but think that the gov shutdown is a grand excuse to get them off of their back. This was the LS's 2nd year with a barrel of EC. Since I get torked about things like this pretty easily, I discussed them possibly picking up a KC120 next year instead...

20 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Dadgummit I was just there last week!  I must have missed them by a few days.  I need another EC pick like I need another hole in my head, but 12 years for $32 is a no brainer in these times.  Would love to know what you think about this pick. 

They had actually given up hope of getting this barrel in until about 2 weeks ago. It is worth the $32 even as a mixer. It is definitely better than the BT barrel another LS received this past holiday season. Not very complex but something that I would sip while firing up the grill.

The nose started out very sweet & caramel like and then moved very much to the ethanol smell in about five minutes. 10 minutes later it was back to a pleasant caramel/butterscotch/pecan loveliness.

Last night gave me a slight sweet at the tip of the tongue & heavy oak on the finish.

2nites pour opened up with quite a bit more sweetness on the front end, lasting a bit longer with a fairly heavy oak finish, but not too much so. As I said, not very complex.

Compared to their 11 year pick of last year, more sweetness, more oak and less bite...

• I like it 1

3 WT101 handles @ 22.49 a piece. No reason not to stock up at that price. Funny enough, they were sitting next to 750s at the exact same price. I might get some more if they restock, I left 2 on the shelf.

KIMG1973.JPG

• I like it 11

1 hour ago, Soberiquet said:

3 WT101 handles @ 22.49 a piece. No reason not to stock up at that price. Funny enough, they were sitting next to 750s at the exact same price. I might get some more if they restock, I left 2 on the shelf.

KIMG1973.JPG

Wow! You committed a slight faux pas not listing the date codes. ;)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Soberiquet said:

Hmmmmm.   Priced incorrectly by a "former" stock clerk, perhaps?  ;)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

You committed a slight faux pas not listing the date codes.

All three are GG, so supposedly the dump of the slightly older stuff 

11 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmmm.   Priced incorrectly by a "former" stock clerk, perhaps?

Not sure, but this was at a large regional grocery chain. The sale tag said the price was good until 4/02/19. I really expected it to ring up at a higher price.

2 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

KIMG1973.JPG

I have never seen a handle under 35 bucks here!

Picked up a couple of large dusties while traveling today for $32.99 each. I don’t need them, since I have several already, but you never know when friends might want some, and now I can help them out.
IMG_0059.jpg

• I like it 7

31 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Picked up a couple of large dusties while traveling today for $32.99 each. I don’t need them, since I have several already, but you never know when friends might want some, and now I can help them out.
IMG_0059.jpg

Did you find these in the Memphis area?

Did you find these in the Memphis area?

No, I found them in Columbus, GA. I saw them about a year ago when I was here, but passed on them because I wasn’t in the mood to catch grief from the wife since we were traveling together. Anyway, we were back again this year, and I checked to see if they were still on the shelf, and these two were still there, so I picked them up this time...of course I still got the snide comments from the wife, but I’ll survive. [emoji6]
  • I like it 5

15 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

No, I found them in Columbus, GA. I saw them about a year ago when I was here, but passed on them because I wasn’t in the mood to catch grief from the wife since we were traveling together. Anyway, we were back again this year, and I checked to see if they were still on the shelf, and these two were still there, so I picked them up this time...of course I still got the snide comments from the wife, but I’ll survive. emoji6.png

That is crazy! they sat there a year and nobody got them.  I noticed these are the 6 year stated.  Great Find!  I only have found one 6 year 750.

5 minutes ago, Carnagusfarnbuckler said:

That is crazy! they sat there a year and nobody got them.  I noticed these are the 6 year stated.  Great Find!  I only have found one 6 year 750.

If these weren’t the 6 year age stated, I wouldn’t have bought them. There were actually more than two, the first time I saw them, so they didn’t all last a year without getting noticed. They can be found, but the Memphis area never really had much FC on the shelves, so you’re probably not going to find any there. Older stores in smaller towns are probably your best bet to find dusties of any kind. 

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2019 at 9:39 PM, oscar2233 said:

You can always share with me! Never seen in Michigan.

Just as a matter of curiosity, how much stuff IS seen so far ... from everywhere:lol:  HA!  Kidding. ;)    I know Hancock isn't far from 'everywhere', just far from almost everywhere.  Hee-Hee!

• I like it 1

Only bought one bottle in Feb, trying to curtail purchases for the most part this year, but picked up a few staples yesterday: BT store pick, 1792 SmB, and FRSmB

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I need a friend like you!  :D

• I like it 1

I picked up a couple of bottles of Ezra Brooks Bourbon Cream. The ABC has it on clearance/closeout for $7.59 a bottle which is almost half off the regular price. I left one bottle on the shelf.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, AndyD said:

Found a herd.

A5F48FC0-1C4E-41C1-BE52-8137EF364278.jpeg

5DEBF1E2-04DE-498F-836E-B458863144FF.jpeg

Does A313 signify March 2013?  I know that's the convention now, just not sure when it started or what the other letters mean.

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

Give me a Binny’s coupon and I’ll stock up apparently. IMG_4701.jpg

I also did some stocking up with the Binny's coupon, with some similar overlap in the Turkeys, plus some WT rye - both 101 and 81. I actually showed pretty good restraint today. Had thought about picking up a second WT Revival but ended up passing.

4 hours ago, afmadd said:

Does A313 signify March 2013?  I know that's the convention now, just not sure when it started or what the other letters mean.

No it couldn’t. These are the label where the red 12 had been removed from the front and the 12 only listed on the back. That didn’t happen until like 2016 I think?

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Dang Jeff, you seem to have a nose for age stated FC!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.