What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

44 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Ok fill me in on the willet?? I passed on some 4yr at 52

I hated the 3 year, pimp. The 4 year is stellar but i had to proof it waay down. Like 30 drops of water in  (estimated) 3 oz pour.  I thought i was done with them after the 3 but my wife bought me a 4 year and im glad she did. 

9 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Drove a half hour out of my way to pick up a 10.5 year 120 pf OESK for $75.  Store sent out an email and I called to reserve a bottle. Thought I might taste it there and grab a second bottle but when I got there they said they had sold out in 2 hours. The barrel only yielded 90 bottles and with the age and proof stats, there was high demand. 

They also had BT on the shelf for $25 so I grabbed one of those and [gasp] a second one for the bunker as the whisper is BT is now allocated in Maryland. 

I got that email too - unfortunately I didn't jump on it in time.  Whenever you open it I'd be curious to learn what you think about it.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Lulz. I did the same thing at a store near me. What month are yours from? I found 750s from February and 375s from August.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Lulz. I did the same thing at a store near me. What month are yours from? I found 750s from February and 375s from August.

September 

9 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I stopped going to this place because they have asinine prices on some stuff (see the 750 of EC12 ?), but I couldn't pass up a handle of WT101 for this price. 

20190125_110931.jpg

20190125_110950.jpg

I have 2 bottles with the age statement in front, wonder what those would go for.:D

Edited by MTNBourbon

5 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Does that EC have an age anywhere?  That s the older bottle design right?

Yes, it's on the back. The cooler looking bottle.

1 minute ago, MTNBourbon said:

Yes, it's on the back. The cooler looking bottle.

I found a bunch of those older bottles but couldnt find an age statement anywhere. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I found a bunch of those older bottles but couldnt find an age statement anywhere. 

FYI, the order of progression was basically:

(old type bottles)

-red 12 on front

-12y AS on back

-no AS

-new type bottles no AS. 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Sorry, there is no age statement, but the bottle is the cooler looking one, with new label.

• I like it 1

It’ll be written on the back of the ones you showed as part of the paragraph or so back there. I’ve had more luck with the new bottling that seems to be in the the 9-11yr range. My guess with nothing to support it is by the point they started selling the age stated on the back bottles there stock was stretched thin. They realized they could provide a better product if they had the option of blending in there younger but good barrels.
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'd be happy to find just a run of the mill RRSIB anywhere near me. I may have to drive to Idaho or Washington as soon as the roads clear up. 

Sounds like you are making excuses to me. Either that, or the Winter blues have you feeling a bit down.?

12 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Drove a half hour out of my way to pick up a 10.5 year 120 pf OESK for $75.  Store sent out an email and I called to reserve a bottle. Thought I might taste it there and grab a second bottle but when I got there they said they had sold out in 2 hours. The barrel only yielded 90 bottles and with the age and proof stats, there was high demand. 

They also had BT on the shelf for $25 so I grabbed one of those and [gasp] a second one for the bunker as the whisper is BT is now allocated in Maryland. 

You don't find that many 10+ year Four Roses picks these days, and it's a K.  That would have had me interested as well.

14 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

This week’s pickups...

That 126 proof Willett rye is amazing!  It beat out a WP10 store pick in a blind tasting I did recently. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Justin said:

I got that email too - unfortunately I didn't jump on it in time.  Whenever you open it I'd be curious to learn what you think about it.

I’ll open it soon. The store has a bar in the back and I did buy a 1 oz. pour as they had a bottle open, along with a bunch of their previous picks. I had somewhere to be and couldn’t sit and contemplate it long but I got a blast of vanilla on the nose. It started out a bit hot and I got at least two flavors on the front palate but can’t identify them now. I’ll open and promise to do better with some notes. :D

Edited by Charlutz

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

That 126 proof Willett rye is amazing!  It beat out a WP10 store pick in a blind tasting I did recently. 

Best batch I’ve ever tried by far.  

Grabbed a CEHT small batch for the stash while  out this morning.  Glad to be able to still find them around at decent price. Most places have them marked up $10 higher than retail. 

17 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

This week’s pickups...

1F8BEB8F-F5EC-45EB-B238-49DC5F0D6255.jpeg

I have a bottle of the 107.2 proof 4 year rye and @ $70 I regret the purchase. It tastes like flinstones vitamins in a bad way. But I can definitely see it being a fantastic rye in another 4 years.

25 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

I have a bottle of the 107.2 proof 4 year rye and @ $70 I regret the purchase. It tastes like flinstones vitamins in a bad way. But I can definitely see it being a fantastic rye in another 4 years.

I haven’t had a 4 year that I’ve thought was bad...yet...  I have had some that I’ve liked much more than others.  

Eating my words for not buying anymore Bourbon this year, but heard too many good things about this...good luck to their operation.

IMG_2796.thumb.JPG.e7c758562cfe5ef2a4bdd8b36f562ca6.JPG

• I like it 1

On 1/25/2019 at 1:50 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I assured him I was quite fine just on some high level Lawrenceburg cult business, he stared blankly and walked away, F'n hilarious!!

Did you really say this? I love it!

Eating my words for not buying anymore Bourbon this year, but heard too many good things about this...good luck to their operation.

IMG_2796.thumb.JPG.e7c758562cfe5ef2a4bdd8b36f562ca6.JPG

Interested to hear what you think. Have read good things but have not seen a bottle in the wild.

EHT Small batch. Not bad but not great either. I’ve acquired a taste for BT offerings but can only find a few in LS here in MN. I try and buy 1-2 bottles a month to add to the collection.

47 minutes ago, Baldcopper said:

EHT Small batch. Not bad but not great either. I’ve acquired a taste for BT offerings but can only find a few in LS here in MN. I try and buy 1-2 bottles a month to add to the collection.

Tried the EHT SB for the first time tonight. I agree with your assessment. Not sure I'd take it over BT or ER10, especially at a premium. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, Charlutz said:

Store sent out an email and I called to reserve a bottle. Thought I might taste it there and grab a second bottle but when I got there they said they had sold out in 2 hours.

Social media wolves.  That email might have been sent out to 200 customers, actually was received by 100 of them quickly, but the reason it disappeared in 2 hours is because of the incessant taters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.