What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, afmadd said:

Thanks for the report.  I've never had the cork break - hope you got it out ok!

Fortunately it was the cork. They have a pseudo-elk horn cross section as a topper. Didn’t seem like they even put any glue to hold it to the cork. 

11 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Dang. I figured I’d give it a shot for $21. That’s a helluva deal. 

Saw this at a local LS this afternoon here.. $42 and change.. BUT that was tax included.. Lol, well sort of..

23 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Saw this at a local LS this afternoon here.. $42 and change.. BUT that was tax included.. Lol, well sort of..

Couple left on a shelf near me for $21.99 which i'll probably grab. $42 is a tad steep, it is good though.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:53 PM, Richnimrod said:

Welcome to the board!  Where in The Mitten State do you reside, digonline?

Don't get your hopes up too high on that Cooper's Craft.   The 1792 BIB is excellent stuff, if a bit overpriced.   The OF Rye is OK, if  a bit unique.

That Remus is one I wanted to try; but have to get the opportunity.  Let us know what you think of it.

Hi.  Sorry for the delayed response.  I am in the vicinity of the People's Republic of Ann Arbor.  

I didn't expect Cooper's Craft to unseat Pappy Van Winkle at the top of anyone's hunting list.  I had seen the low reviews but purchased it anyway because I like trying different whiskeys.  If all we drank was Jim Beam, Evan Williams, and Jack Daniels there would be no need for this forum.  :)  I buy from the top shelf to the bottom shelf and every shelf in between.  I probably get as much enjoyment in discovering an unexpectedly good bourbon for under $40 as I do stumbling across a bottle of Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection.  The latter is expected to be good, but expectations are tempered as the price goes down.  It's also valuable research because I occasionally get asked by people new to bourbon to recommend the best bottle for under $30-40.  Remember when considering whether or not to buy that unheralded bottle sitting on the counter: You can't win if you don't drink.

I'm most of the way through the Cooper's Craft and it's living up to its mediocre ratings.  I'm interested in trying their Barrel Reserve, which checks in at a more reasonable 100 proof.

I haven't tried the George Remus yet.  I'm considering opening that next.  One of my problems is that I buy it faster than I can drink it, but at least it doesn't expire.  I work my way through one bottle at a time otherwise I'd have 100 partially finished bottles around my house.  Part of the fun for me is deciding what to open next.  Right now I'm leaning strongly towards the George Remus.  I'm pleased to see MGP finally released a house brand but I wish they'd chosen someone else to name it after.  For instance, one of their top master distillers, or someone else instrumental in making them as successful as they are.  MGP's version of Elmer T. Lee, George Stagg, Albert Blanton, or E.H. Taylor.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

@digonline, MGP has Eight & Sand now, too. 

Rossville Union Straight Rye Whiskey too, but I haven't come across that in a store yet.  Out of all their house brands, that's actually the one I'm most interested in trying.  I'll have to look for that the next time I venture south into Ohio.  Goodness knows there are no other good reasons to go to Ohio.  :)  

Edited by digonline

24 minutes ago, digonline said:

Rossville Union Straight Rye Whiskey too, but I haven't come across that in a store yet.  Out of all their house brands, that's actually the one I'm most interested in trying.  I'll have to look for that the next time I venture south into Ohio.  Goodness knows there are no other good reasons to go to Ohio.  :)  

Other than driving exactly the speed limit, you’re right. 

As for the Rossville union, I’ve seen it in Chicago plenty of times, but at damn near $70/bottle I’d rather get angels envy rye or 2 bottles of Weller PR. If I want to try mgp I’ll get some bulleit or something else. 

Edited by TehRegion219
Grammarz

Buffalo Trace has hit NC for the quarter. I picked up a Buffalo Trace for $29 and an Eagle Rare 10 for $32. I passed on CEHT Small Batch as I have a couple bottles in reserve. I'm giving the Eagle Rare another shot, as the other two bottles I've had just didn't do it for me. I seem to be part of a small minority that doesn't sing its praises, so I'm hoping that maybe I've just had a couple of off barrels.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, BDanner said:

Buffalo Trace has hit NC for the quarter. I picked up a Buffalo Trace for $29 and an Eagle Rare 10 for $32. I passed on CEHT Small Batch as I have a couple bottles in reserve. I'm giving the Eagle Rare another shot, as the other two bottles I've had just didn't do it for me. I seem to be part of a small minority that doesn't sing its praises, so I'm hoping that maybe I've just had a couple of off barrels.

Its one of the few BT expressions that doesnt do anything for me as well. Not sure what it is either.. does tannic apply here? Not much of sweet or caramel notes when ive had it. 

• I like it 3

Just ordered the first European OWA store pick ever from La Maison du Whisky, a little pricey, but every picks from them were really good. Let's see when the bottle will be delivered to me at the end of the week. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Its one of the few BT expressions that doesnt do anything for me as well. Not sure what it is either.. does tannic apply here? Not much of sweet or caramel notes when ive had it. 

I have described it as someone making a great cake recipe, but without measuring the ingredients. Lots of good stuff there, but not in proportion. I sampled my bottle last night and tannic is a good descriptor.

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I have described it as someone making a great cake recipe, but without measuring the ingredients. Lots of good stuff there, but not in proportion. I sampled my bottle last night and tannic is a good descriptor.

While I don't necessarily agree with that in regards to ER, I love the analogy as applied to bourbons.."Lots of good stuff there, but not in proportion".  I've had others that that would be a perfect descriptor for.

Grabbed a new-to-me bottle, Henry McKenna BiB (10 year.) Preliminary taste was impressive...I'll pour a nice glass of it tonight to go with tonight's record spins and see what it's got going...

1 minute ago, B3Nut said:

Grabbed a new-to-me bottle, Henry McKenna BiB (10 year.) Preliminary taste was impressive...I'll pour a nice glass of it tonight to go with tonight's record spins and see what it's got going...

Please let us know what you think Todd. Also let us (me) know what you’re listening to. ;)

Biba! Joe

At Harry's suggestion. $1.89 OTD. It was either this or a powerball ticket. [emoji6]
IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.6ea1efcf790c9dbd3f59ac57f5ea6a3b.JPG

LOL! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Needed another wheater and wanted something as a higher proof alternative to OWA. Haven’t had Maker’s in forever but getting back to my roots in where I started enjoying bourbon but the cask strength will be new to me.

IMG_2511.thumb.jpg.351bbcbc9d30898058177098cc668c02.jpg

3 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Needed another wheater and wanted something as a higher proof alternative to OWA. Haven’t had Maker’s in forever but getting back to my roots in where I started enjoying bourbon but the cask strength will be new to me.

IMG_2511.thumb.jpg.351bbcbc9d30898058177098cc668c02.jpg

How was this?? I like Maker’s okay in general.. Local LS here had a 750 for like $89... I really was intrigued with it being CS, but no-can-do for that kind of coin..

19 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

At about the same $$ as the new W107 price, MMCS is a far better value.  I'm not usually drawn to wheaters and don't care much for regular MM,  but I really liked the last bottle of this that I had.  In fact, this post has inspired me to pull out my unopened bottle as soon as I make space on the shelf. 

• I like it 1

Got a pleasant call from a LS at lunch - 1792BIB has arrived in Little Rock and they had two bottles set aside for me!

Stopped to pick them up and took this purdy shelf pic while they retrieved them.  My gut says you just won't see this back in the Holy Lands of KY, but 1792 flows rather freely down here!  My bottles didn't include remodeling dust, but I'm not feeling cheated....

Resizer_15530447243220.jpg

• I like it 2

How was this?? I like Maker’s okay in general.. Local LS here had a 750 for like $89... I really was intrigued with it being CS, but no-can-do for that kind of coin..

New to me so haven’t tried it yet.

Stopped in to the local grocery store for a case of bottle water for baby formula mixing and decided to take a pass down the liquor aisle. Hand written sign said, “Spring came early. Blantons in stock. 5 bottles. First come, first serve. 3-19-19”. But the shelf was empty. 

A man happened to be stocking the shelves so I said, “I figure the shelf is empty, but I have to ask since there’s a sign I haven’t seen before.” He acted like he hadn’t seen the sign before and we talked about whiskey for a bit. He knew his stuff. 

“I can go check in back if you want.” he said. 

“Ah, as long as it’s not too much trouble,” I replied. 

As as he was heading toward the stock room he casually asked how many I wanted...if he found some. 

“Eh......three, I guess...if you’ve got em.”

Not a minute later he returns with three bottles of Blantons in hand. 

“You’re in luck. Three was all we had left.” he told me. 

Not a huge score compared to some, but sometimes the unexpected ones are the most appreciated. 

Edited by Supercharger
  • I like it 4

At about the same $$ as the new W107 price, MMCS is a far better value.  I'm not usually drawn to wheaters and don't care much for regular MM,  but I really liked the last bottle of this that I had.  In fact, this post has inspired me to pull out my unopened bottle as soon as I make space on the shelf. 

I’ve heard good things so figured I would give it a shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.